Pollution on RIBBON world

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Dexter
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Pollution on RIBBON world

Post by Dexter »

Hello everyone,

i have a feeling that pollution is going through map edges away from the map (on ribbon world). Is it really like that ? Because debug is showing a lot of polluted chunks outside of map in spherical formation around my base. :o

would it be posible to force pollution to stay on map and not go over map edges (up & down) on ribbon map?

This would be very interesting mechanic considering bitter agresivity would go up on both edged where i meed them. Also i guess it would make great performance upgrade when there would not be a lot of polluted chunks that i dont care about, because they are outside my map.

I started a ribbon world because i expected it would work like this, but most of my pollution is spreading outside of map edges and its boring. :cry:

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Pollution on RIBBON world

Post by darkfrei »

You can change pollution spread by the world generation https://wiki.factorio.com/World_generator

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

darkfrei wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:55 am
You can change pollution spread by the world generation https://wiki.factorio.com/World_generator
No you can't. Not like requested here.

What he requests is that pollution spread stops at the edge of the map and then only diffuses along the ribbon, With only 2 directions to spread instead of 4 the pollution spreading along the ribbon would increase.

I would like to second this request but in a more general form. Chunks that only contain out-of-map tiles should not accept or spread pollution. Or maybe chunks could have a setting for being pollutable. This would allow more flexibility than just checking the map size.

Divus101
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Divus101 »

You could just double the pollution to get the desired effect IMHO

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

You can take every tick one of polluted chunks and spread pollution by the script.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

See also this Not-a-bug :
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=66182
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Dexter
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dexter »

I understand that it is not a bug. And that it works as intended.

But still i think that it is hard to have interesting difficulty playing on ribbon world.
It would be much more interesting because it would create new type of gameplay experience.
Also im afraid that if i try to make a mega base on ribbon world, performance will be very bad because of that many empty pollution chunks.

weaknespase
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by weaknespase »

Divus101 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:52 pm
You could just double the pollution to get the desired effect IMHO
Not exactly, it depends on the dimensions ratio of used map, for example, if you use 5x40 map, you need 8 times more pollution to achieve similar effect, 2 times on 5x10 map and 100 times on 2x200 map. So, no, any fixed pollution multiplier won't cut it.

Unconstrained diffusion makes short work of math required for simulation, that's probably why it is this way.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Won't pollution outside the map spread forever, since there's nothing to absorb it? Sounds like a recipe for map bloat, or at least for something to eventually go wrong.

weaknespase
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by weaknespase »

Out-of-map chunks are static, there is nothing to produce pollution in them and their consumption rate doesn't change at all, so you can simulate them by integrating static diffusion model without having to keep extra data for any chunk. Factorio, probably, does it already and it's not impossible to change behavior of oom chunks to what topicstarter requested so current behavior is intended by devs.

Divus101
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Divus101 »

THX for pointing that out, I think I have considered that too superficial

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

mrvn wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:08 pm
chunks could have a setting for being pollutable. This would allow more flexibility than just checking the map size.
This would be a wonderful thing.

Return to “General discussion”