[0.17.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.17.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by bobingabout »

Zaflis wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:51 am
Naming is not matching in inserter recipes somehow. I'm not using bob-inserters though, but maybe i should. In early game i wasn't able to craft long inserters but i found there's Shift-L key for that for regular inserters. In some occasions the red inserter is called fast inserter:
filter_inserter.png
I'm not sure if it's my mods, or Omni, it's possible that a change in the base game has broken my mods and slipped passed me (There were so many small changes everywhere, my priority was making the changes that broke the game entirely)

I'll take a look when I can.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

As you had made the boiler have 100% efficiency, was the same applied to the oil burner generators?

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Wouldn't it be better for bobpower to change vanilla boiler back to 50% efficiency again ?
I mean, that's why the efficiency mechanic was kept in the game : so that mods can use it !
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

RocketManChronicles wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:30 pm
As you had made the boiler have 100% efficiency, was the same applied to the oil burner generators?
I made changes, but they're not all 100%. previously the start was 40%, now the first one is 60%, but I also changed the fuel consumption rate from 4 per sec to 6 per sec. So instead of 4 at 40%, it's 6 at 60%, but half the fuel value on all fluids. the 2MW per generator remains though.
T2 is 55% up to 80% and T3 is up from 70% to 100%.
This means that the fluid generators consume 150% the fluid they did for a similar output. (up to 112.5% on a MK1, 109% for a MK2 and 105% for a MK3, but still capped at the same output, meaning if you previously used fuel oil as an example that managed to scale down to 2MW in a MK1, you actually burn only 133% of the fluid you did, 137% on the MK2 and 143% on the MK3)

Hydrazine generators only changed from 90% to 100%, but consume double the fluid as the standard (which is the same rate as before, it used to be triple the standard), however, Hydrazine, being unique for this generator (or an ingredient for enhanced fuel blocks and rocket fuel), is the only fuel that didn't have it's value halved, it dropped only from 380kJ down to 340kJ, which is just a little over 90% to what it was, meaning the output from the generator should be about the same. and I did the maths, you still get a power gain from the conversion under normal recipe mode, but it may be a drop in expensive mode.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:09 pm
I think you should remove the Fast Inserter research (50 AutomationScience Packs)

They are also included in Logistics 3 and they use cobalt. While cobalt is obtainable with transport science, ECBs are way out of reach at the point where you research the inserters as standalone tec and you dont really need them that early
fastinserter.png
Problem for me was that the "Fast inserter" research gives me "Express inserters". Which is some tiers to high. Can't build them for ages. What it needs to give is "long-handed-inserter" which are the first tire of faster inserters. Or is this a Seablock thing?

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

mrvn wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:48 pm
GrumpyJoe wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:09 pm
I think you should remove the Fast Inserter research (50 AutomationScience Packs)

They are also included in Logistics 3 and they use cobalt. While cobalt is obtainable with transport science, ECBs are way out of reach at the point where you research the inserters as standalone tec and you dont really need them that early
fastinserter.png
Problem for me was that the "Fast inserter" research gives me "Express inserters". Which is some tiers to high. Can't build them for ages. What it needs to give is "long-handed-inserter" which are the first tire of faster inserters. Or is this a Seablock thing?
Yes, the fast inserter tec still gives the blue ones, thats the "problem", as blue in Bob´s inserter overhaul gives tier 3 (yellow->red->blue->purple->green, following the belt tier colors) They should only be seen after logistics 3 is researched, as every logistics tier gives belts + inserters of the research level.

having long hand inserters makes no sense with Bob´s inserters, as all of them are configurable with the appropriate (other) research.

Vanilla is researched [long handed], [fast+ fast filter], [stack + stack filter] , which you shouldn´t have in mind at all, when using Bob´s

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:10 pm
Vanilla is researched [long handed], [fast+ fast filter], [stack + stack filter] , which you shouldn´t have in mind at all, when using Bob´s
without the overhaul, you'll keep that model except long inserters will be on it's own branch research, and after fast/filter will come express/filter, and after that and stack/filter will be express stack/filter. where express is Cyan and express filter is magenta etc.

With the overhaul on, well, it's the same plus turbo and ultimate, but fast now gives red fast, and express gives blue, and continues with purple and green.

Basically... an inserter technology will require the current tier of logistics technology and the previous tier of inserter technology, and stack will require it's tier of inserter research, plus the previous tier stack
The reason for this change rather than them being parallel to belts was that it was easier to do this than try and split the prerequisites for belts and inserters. I'll probably need to put more effort into it really.
I also have a Patreon.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

i dont think thats the problem at all.
why not just disable the technology when overhaul is enabled, as both logistics 3 and fast inserter research enable the same items?
its the only technology that directly enables any inserters of a special tier.
branching logistics into belts and inserters makes it too complicated imho

its an unneeded (and not buildable at that time) appendix, thats all people are saying.
researching belts and inserters with the overhaul is fine, its that lose end that kinda disturbs people.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:43 pm
i dont think thats the problem at all.
why not just disable the technology when overhaul is enabled, as both logistics 3 and fast inserter research enable the same items?
its the only technology that directly enables any inserters of a special tier.
branching logistics into belts and inserters makes it too complicated imho

its an unneeded (and not buildable at that time) appendix, thats all people are saying.
researching belts and inserters with the overhaul is fine, its that lose end that kinda disturbs people.
Main reason was that I didn't want to just disable a basegame tech. other mods might have it as a dependency for something. that's pretty much the reason for splitting.
I also have a Patreon.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

One quirk is also how Bob's Adjustable Inserters seems responsible for the GUI, keyboard shortcuts, and extra researches ;
While Bob's Logistics seems to be responsible for the Inserter Overhaul option.
BTW, if you have Bob's Logistics and turn on Inserter Overhaul, but do not have Bob's Adjustable Inserters, does that mean that you can't even have any long inserters anymore ? Or will it keep the vanilla Long Inserters ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

MageKing17
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MageKing17 »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:43 pm
One quirk is also how Bob's Adjustable Inserters seems responsible for the GUI, keyboard shortcuts, and extra researches ;
While Bob's Logistics seems to be responsible for the Inserter Overhaul option.
BTW, if you have Bob's Logistics and turn on Inserter Overhaul, but do not have Bob's Adjustable Inserters, does that mean that you can't even have any long inserters anymore ? Or will it keep the vanilla Long Inserters ?
Neither; instead, you can make any inserter "long" with a toggle.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:43 pm
The inserters button on the top bar is implemented in boblogistics too, but only has the long inserters option on it.
you may also have the long toggle keyboard shortcut options, but I can't remember.
I also have a Patreon.

Kraugg
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kraugg »

I have had some challenges in installing Bob's mods since 0.17 (Sea Block withdrawl!)

I have incrementally installed mods, one at a time; but when i get to: Bob's Electronics, the launcher hangs up at 94%. (Only dependencies installed... I always have done bob's first, then angel's...)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Kraugg wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:48 pm
I have had some challenges in installing Bob's mods since 0.17 (Sea Block withdrawl!)

I have incrementally installed mods, one at a time; but when i get to: Bob's Electronics, the launcher hangs up at 94%. (Only dependencies installed... I always have done bob's first, then angel's...)
Reboot your computer, make sure minimal software is running(no browsers etc), delete crop-cache.dat and try again. It's probably a low RAM issue, and if you have other things running like a browser, it's probably shifting data from RAM to your swap files to make room in RAM for the extra data being loaded into factorio.

there's nothing wrong with the mod, but the issue has come up before.
I also have a Patreon.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

Bob, is there any chance you'd be able to mod the Upgrade Planner so that it would preserve entity data such as custom inserters?

Here's what currently happens when you upgrade an inserter on Bob's Mods.

This is a pretty big deal because if you have an elaborate line with lots of inserters at custom angles, the use of an upgrade planner on them would be a huge mess.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Recon777 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:40 pm
Bob, is there any chance you'd be able to mod the Upgrade Planner so that it would preserve entity data such as custom inserters?

This is a pretty big deal because if you have an elaborate line with lots of inserters at custom angles, the use of an upgrade planner on them would be a huge mess.
No. I can't. I can report it as a bug though.
I also have a Patreon.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

bobingabout wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:41 pm
Recon777 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:40 pm

No. I can't. I can report it as a bug though.
I reported it here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67202

But the moderator said it wasn't a bug. Even though it clearly is. Maybe they would listen to you instead. :(

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Recon777 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:09 pm
I reported it here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67202

But the moderator said it wasn't a bug. Even though it clearly is. Maybe they would listen to you instead. :(
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=67250

I requested an event trigger. currently there's no way to get information about the old entity, only the new one, which is just as useless as no event.
I also have a Patreon.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

Excellent, thanks. This seems like a no-brainer and I'm pretty surprised it isn't already in the game. I do remember that fast-replacing had that issue before with inserters, which was mildly annoying... but it's seriously annoying when you're doing it to potentially dozens of inserters in one go.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

boblogistic has some unprecedented shortcuts in research

as you can see, T1 fast inserter techology (exists in vanilla), unlocks in boblogistic express inserters (which are t3), so even if you research them, until you get to blue technology, you cannot make them, not to mention they need as component T2 inserters (which you don't have researched at T1)

stack inserter technology is dependant on fast inserter technology, but in context of what i wrote above, it doesn't make sense either.

also logistic 3 - which unlocks t3 inserters and belts is locked behind production science

for both screenshots i used following mod config
boblibrary
boblogistic with default setting

Return to “Bob's mods”