Turbines not working. Why?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Aardwolf
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Turbines not working. Why?

Post by Aardwolf »

See the screenshot:

4 turbines are working, but 4 turbines to the right are not working.

They also don't work at night, and there is too little power production then (too little power available at night), so it's not due to not consuming enough electricity.

Is it the pipes (which are for walkthrough-ability)? Does steam not go through pipes and require the turbines to all touch?

Or what could be wrong with them?

Thanks
Attachments
turbinesnotworking.png
turbinesnotworking.png (6.88 MiB) Viewed 11825 times

themadgunman
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Turbines not working. Why?

Post by themadgunman »

Your not generating enough steam to actually power the right turbines, 1 heat exchanger only provides enough steam for about 1.8 turbines, you can check https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Nuclear_power for how many exchangers/turbines per reactor you need :)

Aardwolf
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aardwolf »

Thanks for that! I improved the layout now, 4 heat exchangers per reactor with two turbines for each heat exchanger. Much more power :)

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Reactors ALSO have a special bonus for sitting next to each other. A plain reactor will generate 40MW of power. However those two reactors will boost each other by adding another 100% output! So:
- 1 reactor : 40MW
- 1x2 reactor: (40 MW x 2) + 100% each => 160MW
- 2x2 reactor: (40 MW x 4) + 200% each => 480MW

Aardwolf
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aardwolf »

Great, so that means I can add 4 more heat exchangers per reactor in my setup (8 heat exchangers per reactor, 16 turbines per reactor, for 1x2 reactors), and if I later upgrade to 2x2 reactor, I should be able to get 12 heat exchangers per reactor (for a total of 48), correct?

With so much power, one never needs the green modules anymore :D

themadgunman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by themadgunman »

Yes, a 2x2 reactor setup (4 reactors) will handle 48 heat exchangers and 83 turbines for a total power of just under 500MW, remember when designing your setup that a pipe can only handle so much steam throughput though, i think its about 24 turbines per pipe. Hope you have plenty of Kovarex enrichment going on ;)

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

One offshore pump produces 1200 water/s and a turbine consumes 60 steam/s. So 1 pump, 12 heat exchangers and 20 turbines work very well. For large scale plants with a long double row of reactors you can place these in a single row

One heat exchanger consumes 10MW. That tells you the reactor : exchanger ratio.

Return to “Gameplay Help”