Time Travel part 2

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DragonPox90210
Inserter
Inserter

Time Travel part 2

Post by DragonPox90210 »

I over looked a couple features in my last time travel post. First is the Day/Night cycle (thank you MF- for mentioning that :D). Since time is sped up or slowed down in these time fields there could be pockets of day during the night or pockets of night during the day, this just sounds like a background feature that wouldn't affect the environment much until I mention the last feature of the device: the ability to pause time. With the ability to pause time it would be possible to freeze time during the day and put solar panels in the area for a extended day. Here's how it works- since time is frozen in these pockets the solar panels won't gain power just like day won't proceed, however when time is unfrozen and the time field is dispersed, time would have to catch up producing a large amount of energy in a short period of time! This is all science fiction so time travel is fair game :D Anyway keep up the good work, I can't wait for more updates

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Time Travel part 2

Post by FreeER »

Interesting, but why did you make a new topic/thread for this instead of including it in the old one?
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

DragonPox90210
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DragonPox90210 »

FreeER wrote:Interesting, but why did you make a new topic/thread for this instead of including it in the old one?
I couldn't figure out how to be honest :P

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Either edit your original post (should be an edit button near where the quote button is) but this will not send emails if people have subscribed to it or simply make a post like normal :)

Either way would have worked for the people who actually want to discuss it :)
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

Couldn't you simply just post another post in the first thred instead of openning another one.

As for having time dilation feature in a game I think it is not a good idea. Why?
1. Implementation of this won't be an easy job and could quickly lead to many problems.
2. This feature won't introduce anything that can't be implemented in an easier and safer way. The game already has trasport belts with different speeds. Introducing faster structures (factories, furnaces, etc.) can be done quite easy already by simply making new types of theese structures.

QUOTE: Since time is sped up or slowed down in these time fields there could be pockets of day during the night or pockets of night during the day,

Your teory is imposible. Even if you have some field where time runs at different speed the day and night cycle would still be perfectly synchronized with the outside area of thiss time dilation field. Why? Becouse day and night cycles relly on star position which is actually outside the time dilation field.
What such field would do is only that day and night cycles would seem longer or shorter inside the time dilation field than outside it.

andzoak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by andzoak »

I think that capacitors produce less amount of paradoxes ;)

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

SilverWarior wrote: Your teory is imposible. Even if you have some field where time runs at different speed the day and night cycle would still be perfectly synchronized with the outside area of thiss time dilation field. Why? Because day and night cycles really on star position which is actually outside the time dilation field.
What such field would do is only that day and night cycles would seem longer or shorter inside the time dilation field than outside it.
Depends.. If you accept the theory of time being just another dimension, it could be fine. (Day-night cycle would be simply dependant on the star position at the time inside the field) Such thing might/should require more and more energy as the time difference gets bigger, though.

(That also ruins the "saved up solar energy part".. keeping up the field should cost more)

I was mostly referring to messing the biorhythms of human bodies.
andzoak wrote:I think that capacitors produce less amount of paradoxes ;)
+1

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

MF- wrote:Day-night cycle would be simply dependant on the star position at the time inside the field
For this to work the stars should also be inside the time dilation field. But I got a feeling that you would only like to have smal localized time fields so no stars are inside that field therefore you can not have different day/night cycle inside the field as outside the field if both places are being shined on by the same stars.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

SilverWarior wrote:
MF- wrote:Day-night cycle would be simply dependant on the star position at the time inside the field
For this to work the stars should also be inside the time dilation field. But I got a feeling that you would only like to have smal localized time fields so no stars are inside that field therefore you can not have different day/night cycle inside the field as outside the field if both places are being shined on by the same stars.
Yes, it works like that WHEN you strip out the 4th dimension condition (that's why I put it there!)

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

MF- wrote:
SilverWarior wrote:
Yes, it works like that WHEN you strip out the 4th dimension condition (that's why I put it there!)
So you are actuall talking about interdimensional rits then.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”