0.17 Hype?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: 0.17 build available?

Post by featherwinglove »

PSA: Mods have been made to update the recipes in 0.16

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/017_science
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/017-science (yeah, that's a different mod.)

Maddhawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: 0.17 build available?

Post by Maddhawk »

I cannot wait for that new fluid system!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 0.17 Hype?

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Topic merged into the 0.17 Hype topic :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

I hope 0.17 truly fixes the completely broken water generation and brings it back to what previous versions did. The terrible map generator has made the game almost unplayable for me. I just don't get the types of maps I like and I haven't played much 0.16 because of it.

I've lately been spending some time in creative mode and just testing out designs. That has been fun and I'm looking forward to a proper game now. It also made me realize how great the changes the blueprint functions will be. Like being able to update an existing blueprint

christian
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by christian »

Serenity wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:41 pm
I hope 0.17 truly fixes the completely broken water generation and brings it back to what previous versions did. The terrible map generator has made the game almost unplayable for me. I just don't get the types of maps I like and I haven't played much 0.16 because of it.

I've lately been spending some time in creative mode and just testing out designs. That has been fun and I'm looking forward to a proper game now. It also made me realize how great the changes the blueprint functions will be. Like being able to update an existing blueprint
I don't understand how the map generator can make the game unplayable. But reading that you like creative mode, it makes sense. You like things to be easy it seems and the current map generator makes things too hard for you. Why don't you just set it to infinite resources or mess with the resource generation and set them to max?

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Nice assumptions you pulled out of some orifice there. If you had bothered to read, I mentioned that it was about water and not resources. This has been discussed in some other threads too. Or just look at old map screenshots. You used to be able to get continents separated by large oceans. That's impossible now. With low water size and increasing frequency it's endless tiny lakes and swamps. If you increase water size you get very thin snaking land bridges and no continents. Whatever larger land there is has water in it itself. And it gets ever worse the farther you move from the starting area you get. It's some fractal nightmare of weird and unnatural shapes

Look at Rimworld's world generator in comparison. It's on a very different scale, but it manages to generate believable worlds with different biomes, continents, mountain ranges, rivers that flow into oceans. Its terrain features are so distinct that an algorithm can name these mountains, lakes, oceans and deserts.
I'd really love more realistic terrain like that in Factorio instead of the total randomness we have. But it would also be nice if things just went back to the way they were in about 0.12-0.15

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Koub wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:06 pm
[Koub] Topic merged into the 0.17 Hype topic :)
Confusing thing to do. When I saw this come up, I thought it was a garden variety necropost kinda like this one ...wait, um... this one.

HalfPastZulu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HalfPastZulu »

Raveman wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:47 pm
Trudel wrote:
Raveman wrote:
Hellatze wrote:
Miravlix wrote:I think Kerbal Space Program, Factorio and other things like it, is basically like crayons.

I can eat the crayons or create pictures and tons of other stuff, but it's not a game.

So you want me to be hyped for them changing the way my crayons look, when I'm not running into huge problems with the current shape?

Naah, the real bombshell is that they might be adding a game to my crayons, but that seems like a theoretical 0.16 feature.
your point ?
The point is that Factorio in the current state is just a simulation, not quite a game yet. There's no end goal and bitters are just a pain and not a part of the bigger picture (which they should be in my opinion). A nice addition in 0.17 would be to add someting to work toward beside launching a rocket (which could be done in 2 hours).
What people define as a game tends to vary a lot. In my view, Factorio is definetly a game and would still be one even without "launching the rocket". By your definition, how many other sims wouldn't be games either? Furtheron, speedruns have nothing to do with this question.
While I do agree that it's a game in the sense that it provides enteirtainment, it fails as a game when it comes to providing goal and endgame. Don't get me wrong, I really like playing it, but I always reach a point where everything seams pointless. After launching the rocket the only thing you can do is setting yourself goals... which in my opinion is a fail for a game. The game should be providing me with goals to work toward (which wouldn't prevent anyone from setting their own goal).

I want to build a megabase, but I want it for a purpose. I want to research all techs, but I want them to be usefull. I want to build weapons and tanks, but I want them to be relevant. For me it all comes down to the "now what" empty feeling that I get once the rocket is launched.

We don't need more techs, more entities or better graphics or gui, we need endgame content. That's all.
You ruin your own points... The goal of any game is that people have fun playing it, which you clearly do. Before I discuss "EndGame", I would first like you to define it. Please be specific and remember Factorio is a journey, not a destination.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

HalfPastZulu wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:54 am
...remember Factorio is a journey, not a destination.
Well said!
You hit the mark right in the middle

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

brunzenstein wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:04 am
HalfPastZulu wrote:
Well said!
I thought it was a plate of spaghetti ;)

HalfPastZulu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HalfPastZulu »

featherwinglove wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:07 am
brunzenstein wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:04 am
HalfPastZulu wrote:
Well said!
I thought it was a plate of spaghetti ;)
Ummm... spaghetti ! ;)

Maddhawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Maddhawk »

It is a sandbox. Like any good sandbox, the player has to define the endgame, not the developer. One day you might be building a castle. The next you are building a valley between two mountain ranges and then dumping out a bucket of GI Joe figures to play war. The day after that you are making sculptures. Not every game HAS to provide a clearly defined goal.

Factorio is a game. It is a game targeting people who like to set their own goals and who also embrace their own sense of exploration, discovery, creativity, and do so with some kind of logical approach.

Nubm2
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nubm2 »

You created a successful sandbox game when:

- You have kids fighting in it
- parents are shaking their heads in disbelief, but have to go along with it
- The more mature kids are complaining about the lack of content
- You have dog sh!t all over the place, often hidden and encrusted like gems (some might enjoy that though)
- It becomes completely unplayable from time to time

Jan11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jan11 »

I watch every day if 0.17 beta update is released. Can`t wait anymore

christian
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by christian »

Jan11 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:05 pm
haha I can't believe this thread is from 2017 LOL.

IGotBaconSoda
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by IGotBaconSoda »

christian wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:19 pm
Jan11 wrote:
Same same. It's so close guys :geek:

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

IGotBaconSoda wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:05 pm
christian wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:19 pm
Jan11 wrote:
Same same. It's so close guys :geek:
I was about to say, "Well, I think they changed the title at some point," but then I looked back.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Fun fact, this topic was created before 0.16.0 was released :) (around 2 months before).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Koub wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:17 pm
Fun fact, this topic was created before 0.16.0 was released :) (around 2 months before).
I am so hyped for 0.19 now. Can't wait to try the spidertron!

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

I want the spidertron...
And the more they change the less I like it.
I don't care about all the newb changes. I wan't more exciting stuff to do and some recipe changes are just not very exciting.
As usually we break all mods and change stuff I got into muscle memory cause why not? Doing in the next months wrong and get angry at the devs.

Return to “General discussion”