Train circuit

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
etevago
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Train circuit

Post by etevago »

Hi I'm having a problem with my train setup, I don't know how to make it work even with only one at a time. With just one train I should be able to make it work without any signals, right? I have 2 stations and both of them at the right side of the rail, and the conditions right (I think), and manualy driving works just fine, I don't know what to do.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Train circuit

Post by Amarula »

Hey etevago I have found learning about trains challenging and frustrating.
Yes, signals are only to avoid train collisions, so with only one train, you don't need any signals. That said unless you are planning to only ever have one train, you might want to start playing with signals now.
If manual driving works, the only thing I can think of is, are you driving the train both forward and backward? Trains in factorio only drive forward, so you have to have a loop, or a way for the train to turn around - or of course to have two locomotives on the train, one facing forward and one facing backward.
Cheers
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

Oh and I just picked up on one other thing you said "conditions just right" - are you using the circuit network to enable and disable the train stations? On the map, there is a train station icon, you click it to turn station names on and off on the map. If the station is disabled, the station name will show up in red on the map (and in the schedule accessed from the locomotive itself).
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Well, trains can go both ways, you just need engines at either end facing opposite directions. Are you getting a "No Path" from the engine? If so, assuming no signaling, you have a break in the track somewhere. Otherwise either there is a break in the track or the signaling is busted. If you can't find the problem at first, trying manually driving the train part way and then try again switching to automatic. Doing this you should be able to eventually find the signalling getting in the way.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

You can't have both stations on the same side of the same track. Pay attention the yellow arrows you get when placing a train station. That's the direction the train travels in. Or maybe when you say "right" you mean "correct"

Trains can't travel backwards automatically so without loops you need two locomotives

Either one works:
Trains.jpg
Trains.jpg (326.49 KiB) Viewed 2384 times

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

A screenshot (possibly also a savegame) will help us understand what the problem is.

I normally recommend https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... ts_23_and/ to anyone struggling with trains.

Blinky
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Blinky »

@Serenity is correct. The OP states that both stations are on the same side of the track on single track line. That means the train can't get to the station behind it unless there is a loop.

Put one of the stations on the other side of the track and it'll work.
ImageImage

Return to “Gameplay Help”