Re: Factorio Roadmap for 0.17 & 0.18

Post by Jeeto »

Just don't start a new job or get a new girlfriend in the month of January lol

CzeJacob
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CzeJacob »

what happens to my 300h saves after switching to the new version? will i continue?
Please consider English is not my native language. ;)

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

CzeJacob wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:03 pm
what happens to my 300h saves after switching to the new version? will i continue?
Yes, the game is always backwards-compatible for the last few versions.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:17 pm
CzeJacob wrote:
if i remember correctly (either it was mentioned in post, or fff), 0.17 will support loading saves from 0.15 and 0.16 only. if someone wants to load saves from previous versions he will need to use version 0.16 or 0.15 (0.16 can load 0.13 afaik, 0.15 can load 0.12, don't remember elder version compatibility, although i play only since 0.12)

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Jap2.0 wrote:
CzeJacob wrote:
Though there might be some recipe changes, that might mean you need to make some changes to some of your production lines. Similarly if there are map generator changes, then the border between old regions and newly explored regions might look odd.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Zavian wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:35 am
Jap2.0 wrote:
CzeJacob wrote:
Though there might be some recipe changes, that might mean you need to make some changes to some of your production lines. Similarly if there are map generator changes, then the border between old regions and newly explored regions might look odd.
And don't forget size changes. There's no guarantee that every building will keep its size. Remember boilers!

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

5thHorseman wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:49 am
And don't forget size changes. There's no guarantee that every building will keep its size. Remember boilers!
Boilers weren't simply a size change, but a completely overhauled part. Shape, dimension, graphics, stats and ratios changed. I haven't heard of anything like that coming in 0.17, but yeah it is possible. But the important point is that 0.16 save games should load and be playable, although there might be some changes that mean that some parts of your factory require some adjustments.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Also, don't forget that whenever there are changes in service packs (or whatever else), your production lines will stop working.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

theolderbeholder
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by theolderbeholder »

And then there was this ... incident ... with the trains back in 16.3x. That might have been a bug, though.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

theolderbeholder wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:23 pm
And then there was this ... incident ... with the trains back in 16.3x. That might have been a bug, though.
I think you might be replying to my post regarding the FFF#266 hand tool announcement deleted because "All the drama about the axe removal has spread enough : there are currently two active topics debating - uselessly imho - on the subject, that's enough." (Koub) I believed it important enough to link those two threads here, as the removal of the hand axe is pretty important to Factorio's future that it deserves a mere mention in this thread.

Dismissing player concerns as emotion and drama. Yeah, Wube, I wasn't expecting that. But censorship? That's a real surprise. It is also far more important to Factorio's future than hand axes.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

theolderbeholder wrote:
Yes, the famous train collider. That was a nice bug. ;)
But they fixed it real quick, so i accidentally skipped the update and never experienced it myself.

theolderbeholder
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by theolderbeholder »

featherwinglove wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:47 am
theolderbeholder wrote:
I think you might be replying to my post regarding the FFF#266 hand tool announcement deleted because "All the drama about the axe removal has spread enough : there are currently two active topics debating - uselessly imho - on the subject, that's enough." (Koub) I believed it important enough to link those two threads here, as the removal of the hand axe is pretty important to Factorio's future that it deserves a mere mention in this thread.

Dismissing player concerns as emotion and drama. Yeah, Wube, I wasn't expecting that. But censorship? That's a real surprise. It is also far more important to Factorio's future than hand axes.
WTF?
No, I was refering to the great traincrash of ´31, trying to highlight the dangers of applying updates early.
Cut the whining about your bloody axe.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

featherwinglove wrote:
theolderbeholder wrote:

Totally unrelated. @theolderbeholder was refering to this fix, after this update broke train signalling, and trains started colliding all over the place. Also, while I wouldn'd mind even if all our private conversation was posted here, I find it rather undelicate, as it's ... well ... private (and mostly off topic).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Koub wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:09 pm
Totally unrelated. @theolderbeholder was refering to this fix, after this update broke train signalling, and trains started colliding all over the place. Also, while I wouldn'd mind even if all our private conversation was posted here, I find it rather undelicate, as it's ... well ... private (and mostly off topic).
Personally I do find any discussion in this particular thread being misplaced.
Every time I come to a forum and see "Releases" being unread I do expect a new release or at least some discussion on that. But this particular thread ruins it all.
Why do people start arguing on dev's roadmap somewhere not in "General" forum (where it gets its deserved burial). Also every discussion has to have some topic and this one always ends up in a flood.
So Koub please do consider locking this up or moving it to General forum and leave the link for discussion here.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

theolderbeholder wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:57 pm
featherwinglove wrote:
theolderbeholder wrote:

WTF?
No, I was refering to the great traincrash of ´31, trying to highlight the dangers of applying updates early.
"And then there was this..." had me fooled. That's a connector.
Cut the whining about your bloody axe.
You don't have to be like that: if whining is inappropriate for me, it is also inappropriate for you, and behaving like this (especially after whining about your little and long-fixed train wreck) is a little something called hypocrisy. Merry Christmas!
PacifyerGrey wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:17 pm
Personally I do find any discussion in this particular thread being misplaces.
Every time I come to a forum and see "Releases" being unread I do expect a new release or at least some discussion on that. But this particular thread ruins it all.
The English is a bit too broken for me to be sure what you're talking about. It seems you don't like discussion of particular issues on this thread, and if so, I agree.
Why do people start arguing on dev's roadmap somewhere not in "General" forum (where it gets its deserved burial). Also every discussion has to have some topic and this one always ends up in a flood.
So Koub please do consider locking this up or moving it to General forum and leave the link for discussion here.
Not exactly: the discussions on the particular issues happen in the FFF threads for new stuff and the release threads and bugs forums for older stuff like the train catastrophe. The problem here is that the particular changes announced in FFF#266 have not been posted in the OP and had not been mentioned in the thread until I brought them up for awareness, not discussion. This thread is and IMHO should be a directory for the particular issues.

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

So we should assume that 0.17 will be available for download around 31 of January? Or earlier? Asking, because it's about a month left, and the date might be more predictable.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

Dixi wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:06 pm
So we should assume that 0.17 will be available for download around 31 of January? Or earlier? Asking, because it's about a month left, and the date might be more predictable.
soon (TM)

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

Hey did you guys realize that releases become bigger feature wise, but also less often?
Maybe after 0.18 might be a good time to start doing smaller releases again and have a faster cycle (feedback, defect). Might be more practical in my opinion. What do you guys think?

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

judos wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:38 am
Hey did you guys realize that releases become bigger feature wise, but also less often?
Seems to be hard to cut graphics engine rewrites into smaller pieces. An almost complete GUI rewrite is also nothing small and they probably don't want to release the new campaign piece by piece too (also it will teach the new GUI wich might use new features of the engine). Heavy changes lead to longer waits between updates. Bugs where pretty rare when they started the big cleanup and rewrite phase - so there is nothing to release inbetween.
judos wrote:
Maybe after 0.18 might be a good time to start doing smaller releases again and have a faster cycle (feedback, defect). Might be more practical in my opinion. What do you guys think?
There probably will be bug fix releases only for a while (maybe for ever) after 0.18. It is planned to be the first release candidate if i remember correctly.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

judos wrote:
I've tracked three games (Minecraft, KSP, Factorio) through early access dev cycles and it's always this pattern: early versions cycle through quickly with relatively small changes (that seem huge because the game is small) and then slow down as the game grows up, and each x.X.x change cycle gets bigger. I'm pretty sure it's organic, and I understand why, but I'm not in the mood to produce that wall of text at the moment.

Return to “Releases”