[MOD 0.16-0.17] Ribbon Maze 0.7.0

Topics and discussion about specific mods
H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[MOD 0.16-0.17] Ribbon Maze 0.7.0

Post by H8UL »

Ribbon Maze

The maze itself is destined to be automated!

Mod portal page: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/RibbonMaze

Ribbon Maze challenges you to explore a maze in search of rich resources. The maze is impassable, but new late game technologies let you terraform the maze...

Key features

Perfect maze - only one right path takes you deeper into a practically infinite maze.

Dead ends are rewarding! - resources spawn at dead ends. Longer corridors hold the most valuable resources

Mixed ores near start - mixed ores near the start of the maze provide an early game challenge, while
making sure you can get your factory started

Also works with vanilla/mod resources - mod settings allow you to decide which of the vanilla resources are affected by Ribbon Maze

Great for trains - resources are spread out so you'll soon want trains. The maze is "chunk aligned", ideal
for rail network blueprints

Mangroves - the water at the start of the maze is lined with trees. Turn off normal trees in
terrain generation if you wish. Mangroves offer wood as an infinite resource, like crude oil, but with new logistical
challenges and opportunities

Terraforming - Terraform the maze into canals using new recipes which provide a late-game need for
wood and nuclear-generated steam. Automate the process with special artillery which will explore the maze for you.
Decide: will you landfill your canals for more space, or exploit the new mangroves that grow along their banks?

There are also new achievements to go with the terraforming recipes:

Feedback welcome! Enjoy!
Last edited by H8UL on Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shameless mod plugging: Ribbon Maze

H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16] Ribbon Maze

Post by H8UL »

Reserved for future use...

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Is it black water or "not-on-map" tiles?

H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by H8UL »

darkfrei wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:18 am
Is it black water or "not-on-map" tiles?
It's a modded version of green-water, with object collision similar to the "out-of-map" tile. So you can't build offshore pumps on it for example. This means that it gets proper transitions with water during terraforming (and with ground). Credit goes to the More Floors mod by Tone for the textures though!

Main downside, I might need to put an optional dependency on any mods that also change green water to make sure it all behaves right. But I'll deal with that as and when people ask for it :)

PsyhoBelka
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PsyhoBelka »

hi. try your mod and get errors
Безымянный.png
Безымянный.png (88.2 KiB) Viewed 8785 times
when turnoff VechileSnap mod everything is ok

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

PsyhoBelka wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:59 am
Безымянный.png
Try without Ribbon Maze, it can be problem by VechileSnap.

PsyhoBelka
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PsyhoBelka »

darkfrei wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:17 am
PsyhoBelka wrote:
Безымянный.png
yeah, separately they goes normal. wrote post in VechileSnap mod thread

H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by H8UL »

PsyhoBelka wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:49 am
darkfrei wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:17 am
PsyhoBelka wrote:
Безымянный.png
yeah, separately they goes normal. wrote post in VechileSnap mod thread
I can see what the problem is in VehicleSnap so I reported the issue with some analysis: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/VehicleSn ... 000c1f4f28.

RibbonMaze may teleport the player at start to ensure they are in the maze path. VehicleSnap sets up some data structures when a player is created, which don't exist yet. Probably it should ignore player movement/teleports until that then.

Thanks!

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

H8UL wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:51 am
RibbonMaze may teleport the player at start to ensure they are in the maze path. VehicleSnap sets up some data structures when a player is created, which don't exist yet. Probably it should ignore player movement/teleports until that then.
The API should allow changing player position without actually deleting and creating them. You can assign into position value.
edit: Ok i see it's read only, doesn't say about individual X and Y though.

Please test 0.16.3.

H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by H8UL »

Zaflis wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:08 am
H8UL wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:51 am
The API should allow changing player position without actually deleting and creating them. You can assign into position value.
edit: Ok i see it's read only, doesn't say about individual X and Y though.

Please test 0.16.3.
RibbonMaze uses the player.teleport() function, so there is no delete/create magic. Should be able to test in combination with 0.16.3 tonight. Thanks!

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immortal_sniper1 »

great mod i problem i find is that mangrove harvester is pretty late also im not sure if i can use inserters on it

PsyhoBelka
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PsyhoBelka »

Zaflis wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:08 am
Please test 0.16.3.
working ;)

H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by H8UL »

immortal_sniper1 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:03 pm
great mod i problem i find is that mangrove harvester is pretty late also im not sure if i can use inserters on it
Hello, the mangrove harvester has to be a later technology to avoid it providing an infinite fuel source early game, which would be overpowered. You don't need to automatically harvest trees until you come to terraforming the maze (terraforming is optional) so it shouldn't stop you from launching a rocket.

Inserters work on the harvesters for putting fuel in, while resources appear at the side without needing an inserter, just like burner drills. I realise that the harvester graphics don't make that very clear (I'm a terrible artist). It's now in the issue list to improve this https://github.com/h8ul-modder/factorio ... /issues/18

Thanks for the feedback!

H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by H8UL »

Major update in 0.6.7, providing lots of requested features as well as some bug fixes. Changelog provides the most details: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/RibbonMaze/changelog

Highlights are new settings for:
  • mod resources
  • mod infinite ores (i.e. Angel's infinite ores)
  • block size of maze
  • rate of resource richness increase with distance into the maze
  • mixed ores throughout the maze

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16] Ribbon Maze 0.6.7

Post by mrvn »

Could you add an option for the size of the terrain and the impassable walls? Some people like to build bigger and on tile wide corridors limit things.

Also maybe have a large square for the starting area with normal resources and the maze only outside as an option?

H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by H8UL »

mrvn wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:16 pm
Could you add an option for the size of the terrain and the impassable walls? Some people like to build bigger and on tile wide corridors limit things.

Also maybe have a large square for the starting area with normal resources and the maze only outside as an option?
I've just added this to the FAQ:

The limitations of the maze and how it forces you to rethink your factory design is a big part of the logistics puzzle. As a reward, terraforming let's you make more room to scale up to serious megabase sizes.

However, the "Maze block size" and "Clear start chunks" settings give you more space from the start. The wider corridors with "Maze block size" give more room to build, but also require more effort to defend and biters will tend to spawn more readily. You can build a more traditional base with "Clear start chunks", but it also clears resources. This is a deliberate trade-off, so the more you clear, the further you have to go even for starting resources.

I don't really want to go much further with options that give more space, because it will negate the puzzles and rewards that are fundamental to the mod.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

H8UL wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:44 pm
mrvn wrote:

The limitations of the maze and how it forces you to rethink your factory design is a big part of the logistics puzzle. As a reward, terraforming let's you make more room to scale up to serious megabase sizes.

However, the "Maze block size" and "Clear start chunks" settings give you more space from the start. The wider corridors with "Maze block size" give more room to build, but also require more effort to defend and biters will tend to spawn more readily. You can build a more traditional base with "Clear start chunks", but it also clears resources. This is a deliberate trade-off, so the more you clear, the further you have to go even for starting resources.

I don't really want to go much further with options that give more space, because it will negate the puzzles and rewards that are fundamental to the mod.
Fair enough.

I wasn't actually thinking of bigger corridors so much as that I would want to build a train station to unload lots of iron ore, smelt it and then load iron plates back into trains. That also needs a fuel station. Trying to build 3 stations, 2 one-way tracks, and smelters into a 32m corridor would be hard.

Instead of wider corridors the maze could have the occasional room thats larger. Like your "Clear start chunks" the rooms could be empty of resources. Or simply make them premier spots to spawn aliens to make it harder to occupy a room than expanding in corridors.

I also have a further question: With extra mods worms have a larger range than 32m. Will they shoot at you across the walls? I assume yes.

H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by H8UL »

mrvn wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:15 pm
H8UL wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:44 pm
mrvn wrote:

Fair enough.

I wasn't actually thinking of bigger corridors so much as that I would want to build a train station to unload lots of iron ore, smelt it and then load iron plates back into trains. That also needs a fuel station. Trying to build 3 stations, 2 one-way tracks, and smelters into a 32m corridor would be hard.

Instead of wider corridors the maze could have the occasional room thats larger. Like your "Clear start chunks" the rooms could be empty of resources. Or simply make them premier spots to spawn aliens to make it harder to occupy a room than expanding in corridors.

I also have a further question: With extra mods worms have a larger range than 32m. Will they shoot at you across the walls? I assume yes.
Hi, there's an open feature request for rooms here: https://github.com/h8ul-modder/factorio ... /issues/12 ... It's a popular request but I want to retain the maze properties -- real rooms not just cleared areas -- and that has a high degree of difficulty. I have to redesign Eller's algorithm itself, and Eller was a clever cookie.

The worms will shoot across the maze if they can reach more than 32 tiles; logistics bots can reach too with the appropriate mods and/or network design, long reach mod works as expected, etc. If you hover over the maze you'll see it's call "maze chasm", and the maze transition with ground is similar to water. That's to emphasise that the maze isn't a wall but a void that cannot be crossed or built upon.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

It would be nice if dead ends of the maze can be 3x3 or 5x5 chunks size, but the corridors have the same one chunk wide.

H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by H8UL »

darkfrei wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:03 pm
It would be nice if dead ends of the maze can be 3x3 or 5x5 chunks size, but the corridors have the same one chunk wide.
That's the idea, but it's difficult.

Return to “Mods”