Ports of factorio

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

galacticruiser
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Ports of factorio

Post by galacticruiser »

So I was thinking (as one does) about ports for the game and I think personally that a brilliant console to port this to, to bridge the gap a nd lay the foundations for console release, is the Nintendo switch, given the incredibly vast indie games collection that is ever growing on the switch I think factorio would be an incredible addition too. given the Switch's hardware I'm confident the switch will be able to run it, lots of people are apprehensive about the switches capabilities but owning one I can confirm the switch's hardware isn't that bad, granted it pales in comparison to the Xbox one or PS4 its the portability that sets the switch apart. which leads me onto my second point, the switch's portability is incredible and the type of game factorio is would suit the portability of the switch it would just work.

Now im not going to sit here and pretend the devs havent already considered this, they may not have but im willint to bet money they have but just in case

TL;DR porting factorio to the Nintendo switch.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Ports of factorio

Post by eradicator »

Even if the switch's hardware was powerful enough (it is not, i own one too), factorio does not work well with a controller. This has been previously discussed. Mapping the myrad of hotkeys you need to play to a controller is unfeasible at best. And precisely placing buildings without a mouse would be frustrating.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Or port it to a mobile phone, as has been discussed in Factorio Friday Facts #132.

I really love the idea of the "Pay 2 Automate" (Factorio's version of "Pay 2 Win") business model. :D

Just for clarification: That FFF was an april fool's joke.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Would you consider a paper port ? I'd love playing Factorio on paper, with a pen. Or even better, with a quill. Even hipsters will think I look cool. :mrgreen:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

MinecrafterQ
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MinecrafterQ »

It isn't very hard to play Factorio with a controller but the specs on a switch or other console are probably not wouldn't be able to support Factorio

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I don't think there'd ever be an official port.

Someone with source access could probably try and port it, but then that's a breach of the source access contract to say the least.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Do you guys not have PCs!?

But in all seriousness: as far as I know we don't have any plans to port Factorio to anything at least not before we finish Factorio on PC first.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:53 am
But in all seriousness: as far as I know we don't have any plans to port Factorio to anything at least not before we finish Factorio on PC first.
Pretty much, after 1.0 there are a lot of potential development paths, but until then we are keeping the doors open and the promises to a minimum.

Things such as, mobile/tablet port, switch, ps4/console, etc., are all ideas we could look into.

Nothing said now about the plans after 1.0 can be taken as gospel

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Klonan wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:59 am
Things such as, mobile/tablet port, switch, ps4/console, etc., are all ideas we could look into.
Just controller support on PC would also be pretty great. Though i still don't see how that would work.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

theolderbeholder
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by theolderbeholder »

Team with Games Workshop, bring out a tabletop version. The amount of gold the miniature sales bring in will enable buying a small country.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

theolderbeholder wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:43 pm
Team with Games Workshop, bring out a tabletop version. The amount of gold the miniature sales bring in will enable buying a small country.
I spend 3 blue bottles (resource card) to play "stack size upgrade" (technology card) on all my stack inserters. I then rotate my input onto your furnace array. You lose all your copper and take 1GW damage to your accumulator charge :P.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

Is it bad that my brain actually started trying to figure out mechanics for how you'd port the general premise behind factorio into a co-operative board game similar to Pandemic where you're trying to fight against/outpace biter progression...
eradicator wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:23 pm
theolderbeholder wrote:
I spend 3 blue bottles (resource card) to play "stack size upgrade" (technology card) on all my stack inserters. I then rotate my input onto your furnace array. You lose all your copper and take 1GW damage to your accumulator charge :P.
Yes... good...

Mansake Labs
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Ps4 port?

Post by Mansake Labs »

I'd love to see this on the Switch, it has "Perfect for Switch" written all over it.
Last edited by Koub on Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the post from the PS4 port topic

Mansake Labs
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mansake Labs »

eradicator wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:32 pm
Even if the switch's hardware was powerful enough (it is not, i own one too),
What about Doom? Wolfenstein 2? Cities: Skylines?

Am I missing something?
(Seriously, though, if there's something I don't know, I'd like to know.)

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

eradicator wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:23 pm
theolderbeholder wrote:
Since your character card has the symmetricism trait, the rotation did not apply. You lose a turn! "Your fancy stack inserters are no match for my robot army!" I play Logistic Swarm (event) which doubles all players logistics robots and temporarily increases their speed and capacity by 200%.

You take 2 damage to your SPM. My SPM is increased by 3! =D

Mansake Labs
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mansake Labs »

eradicator wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:49 pm
Klonan wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:59 am
Just controller support on PC would also be pretty great. Though i still don't see how that would work.
Using a mouse and keyboard is really uncomfortable/painful after a short amout of time for me, controllers take a lot longer to get to that point, so I use controllers as much as possible.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Mansake Labs wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:49 pm
Using a mouse and keyboard is really uncomfortable/painful after a short amout of time for me, controllers take a lot longer to get to that point, so I use controllers as much as possible.
Maybe increasing the mouse sensitivity and/or buying a more precise mouse (e.g. laser gaming mouse) with a large mousepad (e.g. a gaming mat) would help?

Also, an ergonomic mouse might help.

Mansake Labs
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mansake Labs »

Tekky wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:21 pm
Mansake Labs wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:49 pm
Maybe increasing the mouse sensitivity and/or buying a more precise mouse (e.g. laser gaming mouse) with a large mousepad (e.g. a gaming mat) would help?

Also, an ergonomic mouse might help.
A more ergonomic mouse might help, (maybe one of those vertical ones?), but it's really the clicking action that's the problem, just using the chatpad on my Xbox is problematic.

Also, I can't really use Gamecube controllers because the triggers have too much reistance, I have the same problem with the triggers on the OG Xbox and the 360's controllers.

The Xbox One controller's triggers are just about right, and the bumpers on the revised controller are way better, since they resist less than the OG bumpers.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Mansake Labs wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:44 pm
The Xbox One controller's triggers are just about right, and the bumpers on the revised controller are way better, since they resist less than the OG bumpers.
There are programs which let you use a game controller as a mouse. For example, with this Google search I found the program Gopher360 at the top. This may be what you need. I have not tested it, though. The linked Google search also yields other programs as search results.

Of course, using a controller as a mouse will never be as nice as if the interface were designed for use by a controller.

Mansake Labs
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mansake Labs »

I've got an app on Steam called "Controller Companion", it's really good, really versitile. (It's not free, but I HIGHLY reccomend it)

Although, Steam itself can map controller input to mouse and keyboard input right out of the box, I haven't used either in a while, but I've got my bases covered there.

Thanks, though, :)

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”