Forum update to phpBB 3.2

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Today's forum skin update

Post by Optera »

How do you apply this css mod?

Edit: Nvm I figured it out.
Last edited by Optera on Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

The forum should be user friendly by default. One shouldn't need programming skills to hack the forum's CSS for proper browsing. I hope this fixed width thing will be adressed, not left as "DIY".
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Is this a general issue of phpBB or an issue specific to the Factorio forums?
Last edited by Tekky on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Koub wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:21 pm
The forum should be user friendly by default. One shouldn't need programming skills to hack the forum's CSS for proper browsing. I hope this fixed width thing will be adressed, not left as "DIY".
It is quite common to limit the maximum length of lines of text to improve readability.
It is the reason wich lead to the common two columns of text on scientific research papers or multiple columns of text in news papers (column width correlates with font size).
Wikipedia: Line length

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Oktokolo wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:48 pm
Koub wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:21 pm
It is quite common to limit the maximum length of lines of text to improve readability.
It is the reason wich lead to the common two columns of text on scientific research papers or multiple columns of text in news papers (column width correlates with font size).
Wikipedia: Line length
Sue, but newspapers aren't horizontal with only the middle 40-85% being used. Additionally, the same article you quoted says that wider columns are better for skimming text, and from personal experience if you actually use the whole screen you can fit more on it (less scrolling, quicker skimming, etc.) and it generally looks nicer.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Optera wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:17 pm

Care to share?
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

bobingabout wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:01 pm
I absolutely hate the new forum update for one main reason.

It doesn't fill the width of my ultra wide screen.
Please fix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtRNg5uSKQ0

Failing that... I'd want the "fill the screen" fix, if anyone knows how to do it.
For Firefox 54(I use plug-ins that aren't available for later versions) and Chrome.
It's not something I know how to do, don't even know where to begin.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

why does "Quick Links" not open on :hover ==== 11reeeeeeeee

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

hi, the best thing about the change, is that the text, cursor "and" mouse pointer are now easy to see, at least for me.

at first, no icons appeared, but i think its because the website theme now uses "web-fonts" instead, so if anyone has ublock origin and chrome, you might need to enable webfonts for this site, as i did that and the site seems to work ok again.

image below: (had to draw an arrow to show where the mouse cursor appears, since screenshots dont usually capture it) but it works :)
cool_contrast.png
cool_contrast.png (89.09 KiB) Viewed 6226 times
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Mr. Tact wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:01 pm
Optera wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:17 pm

Care to share?
For Firefox: https://superuser.com/questions/318912/ ... ontent-css

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

To begin with i disliked the redesign. Not because it looked bad(it looks great) but because it moved functionality away from me. I now had to click twice to get to the "Your posts" or "New posts" link which was very annoying. With those links being added back again i really can't complain.
Some long term issues with the site has been fixed with this redesign and the functionality is seemingly the same so i am happy :D
Waste of bytes : P

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

oh i didnt know those links had been removed before, i guess they must have come back when i first took the screenshot.
yep, as it is now it seems cool
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

foodfactorio wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 am
oh i didnt know those links had been removed before, i guess they must have come back when i first took the screenshot.
yep, as it is now it seems cool
yes those were missing before, that was my major complaint also (need to click quicklinks then proper one), now when they are besides quick links, i'm happy,, i can live with new design, can't say i like it, but eventually i will get used to it.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

There's a side effect of the dark background : some textrs can't be seen, typically some column titles. As an example, in the notifications settings :
Factorio Forum - No column titles.jpg
Factorio Forum - No column titles.jpg (55.57 KiB) Viewed 6205 times
Factorio Forum - No column titles selection.jpg
Factorio Forum - No column titles selection.jpg (65.64 KiB) Viewed 6205 times

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

Looking at the changes here just gives me an uncanny feeling. It's like all the colors have changed a tiny bit; enough to be 'wrong' but not enough for me to pick out the differences.

There are only a few things that I do notice that really bug me:
1: The red is gone. Unread things used to be red and it was east to tell at a glance what was unread.
Now the unread icons/colors are the same orange as post title and everything else. It blends in and is nigh impossible to see at a glance now. I want my red back.

2: The fixed width things. This is driving me nuts but I don't feel like locally overriding CSS is a good permanent solution either.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

MasterBuilder wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:23 am
1: The red is gone. Unread things used to be red and it was east to tell at a glance what was unread.
Now the unread icons/colors are the same orange as post title and everything else. It blends in and is nigh impossible to see at a glance now. I want my red back.
+1
Can't remember if white or orange is read or unread. Doesn't fit to any colour scheme. No intuition. Murphy strikes back, so my first guess is always wrong. It's because the title and the info below the title have the same 2 colours. Does is mean read or unread if the title has the same colour as the icon? *head explodes*

All else is perfectly fine (or at least ok). :-)

fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by fishycat »

A nice addition to the Quick links would be the wiki page.
Otherwise I'm pretty happy now with width and the other little adjustments, like jump to last post thingy.

Is the width adjustment also planned for the mods page?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Another lost feature/bug with new layout : when browsing topics, on the topic list, there is no more icon for moderators to see if there is a topic/post awaiting moderation (I suspect It will be the same with reported posts).
An example in attachment.

Is it possible to restore this ? it was a very useful feature, now I have to explicitely browse the moderation control panel to see if I've missed some post.
Attachments
Factorio Forum - No validation requested icon.jpg
Factorio Forum - No validation requested icon.jpg (15.31 KiB) Viewed 6105 times
Factorio Forum - Topic awaiting validation.jpg
Factorio Forum - Topic awaiting validation.jpg (9.41 KiB) Viewed 6105 times

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Koub wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:53 am
Another lost feature/bug with new layout : when browsing topics, on the topic list, there is no more icon for moderators to see if there is a topic/post awaiting moderation (I suspect It will be the same with reported posts).
I thought the same at first, but the questionmark that is shown behind the post title is the new icon, you can even see it in your image :) In my opinion it should be changed to be another color/icon so that it is more clear that it's not part of the topic title.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

Bilka wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:43 am
Koub wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:53 am
I thought the same at first, but the questionmark that is shown behind the post title is the new icon, you can even see it in your image :) In my opinion it should be changed to be another color/icon so that it is more clear that it's not part of the topic title.
i see issue with that question mark, alhough there is a "space" between title and question mark, it's not visually apparent, that question mark is not part of title.

changing color (of question mark), might help, but i suggest also moving it before title.

Return to “This Forum”