[0.16] Logistic Carts

Topics and discussion about specific mods
dorfl
Inserter
Inserter

[0.16] Logistic Carts

Post by dorfl »

On the mod portal: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/logicarts (WIP)
Documentation and examples on the wiki: https://gitlab.com/aerosuidae/logicarts/wikis/home

ImageImage

Small carts (1x1 cars) that follow paths painted on the ground.
  • Pathing is not automatic -- networks must designed carefully to avoid collision!
  • Simple transport networks require only carts and paint and inserters.
  • Complex routing possible via the circuit network and gates.
Technology
  • "Logistic Carts" tech (red + green science) is available after researching engines.
  • "Electric Logistic Carts" tech (red + green + blue science) is available after researching electric engines.
Carts
  • Mini 1x1 tile cars
  • Base speed 5km/h
  • Fuel burning or Electric
  • 10 trunk spaces, filterable
  • Small equipment grid
  • Interact with logistic network chests
Thanks to:
Last edited by dorfl on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:12 am, edited 6 times in total.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.16] Logistic Carts

Post by Arch666Angel »

Awesome idea. If you need help with gfx let me know.

dorfl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dorfl »

Thanks, definitely will do!

First battle will be keeping the UPS in check, though. And I think game save size is ballooning as I'm caching so much state... or leaking it...

Splicer9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Splicer9 »

Bug:
http://prntscr.com/k2novz
What I did:
Started new game to test stuff and I set game speed to 10 for something. I got into a car and my car blew up a minute later from biters I think is when this error came up. All research command was used but no logistic cart entities were placed, interacted with or used at all. Thanks for the mod!

dorfl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dorfl »

Thanks for the bug report. Should be fixed in 0.1.10.

I don't think this was really anything you did, like 10x speed or using research command -- just me trying to read a (legitimately) nil entity. Appreciated the detail, though :)

Splicer9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Splicer9 »

Bug:
http://prntscr.com/k3ygbl
What I did:
Rotated constant combinator next to a cart.
(sorry for posting in portal discussion as well, forgot you had this forum post somehow lol.. :P )
(Oh and thanks for the fixes and attention to this mod, I'm liking the direction your taking it. :) )

dorfl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dorfl »

No worries -- either location is fine. If the portal had response notifications I'd prefer it over a forum thread; much easier for others to search through a bug list than a discussion.

This bug looks like something that, while not deliberately fixed, may not be a problem in 0.1.11.

Edit: nope, I'm wrong. Thanks for the report!

Edit2: fixed in 0.1.12. It might not be the last; the changes this weekend have been far-reaching.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

With the latest version, carts stop at the yield marker and wont carry on after the default stop timer. They just sit there indefinitely.

dorfl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dorfl »

Thanks, should be fixed in 0.1.13.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

dorfl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dorfl »

Struggling to compare to the 128x128 version :)

You've added a shadow (which looks great), and the roof lights/panels are glowing?

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

I very like the idea of a small inventory mover.......

I will try this mod for sure..

But at first glance i would have some suggestions (my own brains :D )

As i understand the path tiles...
* i would like to see more a guidance system with beacons so i can place beacons (could need electricity (either by net or a solar-cell/akuumulator combination)on the map, so the carts will drive from beacon to beacon....
* if stic to tiles - different (colored) guide-tiles for different paths
* would be nice if the carts could be handled by inserters (maybe a special inserter with filter) so that a inserter could set some carts on a main line to its rigth path

* i did not tried this mod out actually but i would expect the carts will have a short reach, so i hope it could be existing a long range cart, with fewer slots

* i find the arrows so bombastic, i would envision, a rail-gfx, maybe at side or in the middle of the tile

dorfl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dorfl »

nosports wrote: * i would like to see more a guidance system with beacons so i can place beacons (could need electricity (either by net or a solar-cell/akuumulator combination)on the map, so the carts will drive from beacon to beacon....
Probably not in this mod, because I don't want to devote UPS to automatic path-finding. But am considering an add-on https://gitlab.com/aerosuidae/logicarts/issues/7 for this use case. Or, use AAI :)
nosports wrote: * if stic to tiles - different (colored) guide-tiles for different paths
Possibly. Like a subway map.
nosports wrote: * would be nice if the carts could be handled by inserters (maybe a special inserter with filter) so that a inserter could set some carts on a main line to its rigth path
Hmm... Do you mean directing carts based on a filter inserter's filters?
nosports wrote: * i did not tried this mod out actually but i would expect the carts will have a short reach, so i hope it could be existing a long range cart, with fewer slots
Does "reach" mean driving range? It's not limited currently except by fuel/electric-charge like any other vehicle.
nosports wrote: * i find the arrows so bombastic, i would envision, a rail-gfx, maybe at side or in the middle of the tile
Yeah, Angel mocked up a couple of path tile graphics options. Still thinking about visibility and scaling, and not being too busy in game. The arrows might stay for a while.

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

as i need to say i need to try this before hand in my map :-)
And i dislike a massive bot network, only some construction bots....
so naturally a small cute low volume transportation methode would come very handy..
and more to research build process use is the only way to get forward in factory no matter what :mrgreen:
dorfl wrote:
nosports wrote: * i would like to see more a guidance system with beacons so i can place beacons (could need electricity (either by net or a solar-cell/akuumulator combination)on the map, so the carts will drive from beacon to beacon....
Probably not in this mod, because I don't want to devote UPS to automatic path-finding. But am considering an add-on https://gitlab.com/aerosuidae/logicarts/issues/7 for this use case. Or, use AAI :)
I would not see this with a automatic pathfinding method. the cart should go just straigth from beacon to beacon, if any obstacle appers in its way - bad luck ;) - stuipd user :lol: the cart would just stop.
basically it would just the same as a missing arrow on the ground

dorfl wrote:
nosports wrote: * would be nice if the carts could be handled by inserters (maybe a special inserter with filter) so that a inserter could set some carts on a main line to its rigth path
Hmm... Do you mean directing carts based on a filter inserter's filters?
say you have only limited space in the factory to pick up the goodies in the carts, so there is only a main line for all cart but the destination of the various carts are different so that a inserter could pick up the cart and set it on the right track, so yes basically directing the carts per inserters to each destination.....
But again i don't know if it works actually alread just without the inserters, then the whole point is pointless :|
dorfl wrote:
nosports wrote: * i did not tried this mod out actually but i would expect the carts will have a short reach, so i hope it could be existing a long range cart, with fewer slots
Does "reach" mean driving range? It's not limited currently except by fuel/electric-charge like any other vehicle.
Yes that i meaned. but i don't know whats the drivingrange actually is or hows the fueling goes, but i would expect very short range of the cart, basically for only interfactory use....
so if i want to transport limited goodies to some satellite factory so i would need a long distance cart (or some fueling stations) which could scarifise some cargo space for more onboard akkumulators or fuelstorage

A following thought is as i see the arrows that a unidirectional tile don't exist ?
-> if possible that would be also very nice.....

dorfl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dorfl »

nosports wrote: I would not see this with a automatic pathfinding method. the cart should go just straigth from beacon to beacon.
Or a "go in this direction until you find another arrow" tile maybe.
nosports wrote: say you have only limited space in the factory to pick up the goodies in the carts, so there is only a main line for all cart but the destination of the various carts are different so that a inserter could pick up the cart and set it on the right track, so yes basically directing the carts per inserters to each destination.....
Heh, cool, but I have no clue how to implement that :) Sharing paths is definitely intended. There are mechanisms in the mod for routing carts based on contents, grid equipment, circuit network, or gates.
nosports wrote: Yes that i meaned. but i don't know whats the drivingrange actually is or hows the fueling goes, but i would expect very short range of the cart, basically for only interfactory use....
Fuel consumption in the tier 1 burner cart is currently still OP, but then again it also only goes 5kph. Tier 2 electric cart has a much shorter range until mk2 batteries are available.
nosports wrote: A following thought is as i see the arrows that a unidirectional tile don't exist ?
I think the yellow triangle "yield" tile might be what you mean. It's called yield as it's mostly used for intersections where carts should continue straight yet not collide, but effectively it's just a null tile in the code.

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

dorfl wrote:
nosports wrote: I would not see this with a automatic pathfinding method. the cart should go just straigth from beacon to beacon.
Or a "go in this direction until you find another arrow" tile maybe.
Yes basically.....
But if no arrow is in straigth line, so it seems very dangerously; but i may think there are enough trees around to prevent a cart from going to oblivion.....
On the other hand... just drive along some time/range then stop and autoplace something would also something ....
Would need a armoured/saw thoothed more intelligent cart (hint for more to research and producing ;) ) in case of enemys or just to mow down the occasionally trees

dorfl wrote:
nosports wrote: A following thought is as i see the arrows that a unidirectional tile don't exist ?
I think the yellow triangle "yield" tile might be what you mean. It's called yield as it's mostly used for intersections where carts should continue straight yet not collide, but effectively it's just a null tile in the code.

not quite; i envisioned a tile which could be driven on in opposite directions so avoiding the need to build dual way....
Again here i would let it the players accountabilty to prevent a collision, i would let them crash and to be destroyed in the extend; there need some thinking to be done by the player still

dorfl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dorfl »

nosports wrote: On the other hand... just drive along some time/range then stop and autoplace something would also something ....
It would eventually run out of fuel.

Wonder what happens if a vehicle drives outside a generated chunk?

Trying out a "continue off road" tile now :)
nosports wrote: i envisioned a tile which could be driven on in opposite directions so avoiding the need to build dual way....
Gotcha. Nothing like that so far. I always found two-way train lines annoying to deal with.

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

dorfl wrote:
nosports wrote: On the other hand... just drive along some time/range then stop and autoplace something would also something ....
It would eventually run out of fuel.

Wonder what happens if a vehicle drives outside a generated chunk?

Trying out a "continue off road" tile now :)
Not so fast i did not even got a chance to try the current state :lol:

It could drive circles and send a lost signal and cry like an abondened seal pup :lol: :lol:
dorfl wrote:
nosports wrote: i envisioned a tile which could be driven on in opposite directions so avoiding the need to build dual way....
Gotcha. Nothing like that so far. I always found two-way train lines annoying to deal with.
I use a 2 line blueprints for my train system to spare me the hassle of getting the single line to work with multiple trains. at least you can set up a slow but steady producing of rails, and you don't need much rails all the time in Factorio....

dorfl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dorfl »

nosports wrote: Not so fast i did not even got a chance to try the current state :lol:
Works great. So there will be a "Continue Off Road" tile in the next release after I QA it some more.

Thanks -- beacons are kind of an obvious idea, but I just hadn't been thinking down that route. Too much time spent with continuous belts and rails :)

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

Hello,

i made the factory to produce all things carts…….

Just some notices :

• Stacksize of carts is 50 – its ok but I feel 10 or 20 is still plenty
• I did not got the electrical cart to move – need to check again, also fueling of the cart
• I would include Akkumulator in the recipe to the electrical cart
• Cart against tree gives combat, I just don’t know who ultimately will win, because my bot repaired the cart…..
• I definitely like the go off road till next, because you don’t need to paint all the way

It gave a chuckle last night when I noticed that I could insert 50 locos in this small single cart :lol:

Return to “Mods”