Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by Oktokolo »

wren6991 wrote:
Brathahn wrote:Oh boy, i can see the rainbows in the chat from here!
Tell me you didn't write out those tags by hand :shock:
I don't think, that he did it by hand as there are easy to use tools for that.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Regarding text: a monospaced font option would be super sweet.

bNarFProfCrazy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bNarFProfCrazy »

Also please add an option to trigger an control/mod command.

Something like:

Code: Select all

Choose your proffession. [command=mymod-profession("miner")]Miner[/command], [command=mymod-profession("smith")]Smith[/command]...

Alice3173
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alice3173 »

Zomis wrote:Another nice feature would be to support *markdown*.
Something better would be an actually logical system. I don't understand why everyone thinks Markdown is so great when it's not terribly user-friendly. Bbcode, on the other hand, is logical and straightforward for people to understand. Most bbcodes largely correspond to actual html elements with a handful of characters changed. (Primarily <> to [].) And considering their current examples look far more like bbcode it'd be more consistent to style text markdown as bbcode instead.

flapje
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by flapje »

bNarFProfCrazy wrote:Also please add an option to trigger an control/mod command.

Something like:

Code: Select all

Choose your proffession. [command=mymod-profession("miner")]Miner[/command], [command=mymod-profession("smith")]Smith[/command]...
+1

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheTom »

Is there a planned ETA for 0.17? Not asking for a date, more a "we think maybe June/July" or something vague, just to have an idea.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

I just realised how awesome it will be to have icons in station names. No more mess of white and red text.

braiam
Inserter
Inserter

Post by braiam »

I think StrangeLoopsGames with their Eco game figured the item/recipe/technology interactive text thing. I for one, prefer simpler syntax like markdown plus converting to interactive text specific keywords. Of course, that suppose there's a scheme to the name of stuff.

wlfbck
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wlfbck »

pingger wrote:add the possibility to CTRL+Click (or similar) on an item or even place building and it automatically written to the chat bar, so we don't have to actually write [recipe=advanced-circuit] (I'm thinking of diablo 3 right there) ...
But nice feature
Quoting for visibility. This insanely handy in MMOs and ARPGs.

kylone
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kylone »

TheTom wrote:Is there a planned ETA for 0.17? Not asking for a date, more a "we think maybe June/July" or something vague, just to have an idea.
The developers generally know a about a month or so in advance that a (new) experimental release will be out.
Since they haven't discussed a feature list for 0.17 yet, I believe the developers aren't far enough along to have a roadmap to release yet.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

kylone wrote:
TheTom wrote:Is there a planned ETA for 0.17? Not asking for a date, more a "we think maybe June/July" or something vague, just to have an idea.
The developers generally know a about a month or so in advance that a (new) experimental release will be out.
Since they haven't discussed a feature list for 0.17 yet, I believe the developers aren't far enough along to have a roadmap to release yet.
Apart from this one viewtopic.php?f=3&t=678

Gotta love that thread. April 2013, the first published roadmap. Time elapsed until someone asks for belts to be nerfed: 15 hours.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

quyxkh wrote:One related thing I saw in Spore was, it'd embed creature blueprints in creature images. Could you examine images dropped in the blueprint-pasting box for text metas that look like blueprint strings?
That's part of the PNG format. you can actually store all kinds of information in a PNG file.

Adobe Fireworks (Part of CS6, discontinued after. Apparently nobody used it, I thought it was decent) used layers, like a Photoshop lite, and saved EVERYTHING in the PNG file.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

wat3rstone
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wat3rstone »

dee- wrote:Image
I disagree, this idea will probably end well.
-wat3rstone

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

Very multiplayer oriented, I will never use all of those features personnally. But sounds amazing, good ideas :)
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

kylone wrote:The developers generally know a about a month or so in advance that a (new) experimental release will be out.
The developers actually know 3-6 months in advance that a new release will be out in a month.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Ohz wrote:Very multiplayer oriented, I will never use all of those features personnally. But sounds amazing, good ideas :)
I agree, that big part of it is multiplayer oriented, but using the icons for stations/blueprints/saves might still be useful in singleplayer.

bulldog98
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by bulldog98 »

kovarex wrote:
Ohz wrote:Very multiplayer oriented, I will never use all of those features personnally. But sounds amazing, good ideas :)
I agree, that big part of it is multiplayer oriented, but using the icons for stations/blueprints/saves might still be useful in singleplayer.
Especially if it would be possible to filter station names containing icons, then you would just see your production related stations.

Vatharian
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Vatharian »

This is probably the coolest feature now!

It brings back pleasant memories of something similar!

Years ago I played Anarchy Online - MMORPG in hard SF setting.

One of the absolutely coolest features it had was user-generated pages. It mainly got used on shop channel, raid interaction & org/clan management.

How it worked, is that user could post a link in text, that could contain clickable reference to item type, actual item or any game screen (like character sheet). It also allowed something much cooler - player could post a link to whole freaking PAGE that used game gui (game's help gui to be exact, not unlike interactive help pages in i.e. old Borland DOS IDE for Pascal/C, or 16-bit Widnows Help). That page could be formated using basic html-like tags, including text formating, tables, lists and item / type references. This way instead of spamming chat, players would post links to self-made custom 'shops'.

I don't remember how the textboxes were stored, if there was some per-player permanent clipboard and used message-id reference number, or if it was pasted as a whole, but it was freaking awesome.

I know Factorio role-play is far from being easy, but that would boost it considerably!
Veni, Vici, Spaghettici - never bus! (tm)

XindlCZ
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by XindlCZ »

Very nice feature! ... i have many train stations and icons with color text help me with organize this chaos :-D. Thank you 8-)

Return to “News”