Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Regular reports on Factorio development.
User avatar
Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 492
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by Oktokolo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:54 am

wren6991 wrote:
Brathahn wrote:Oh boy, i can see the rainbows in the chat from here!
Tell me you didn't write out those tags by hand :shock:
I don't think, that he did it by hand as there are easy to use tools for that.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 527
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:48 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by golfmiketango » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 am

Regarding text: a monospaced font option would be super sweet.

bNarFProfCrazy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:11 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by bNarFProfCrazy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:58 am

Also please add an option to trigger an control/mod command.

Something like:

Code: Select all

Choose your proffession. [command=mymod-profession("miner")]Miner[/command], [command=mymod-profession("smith")]Smith[/command]...

User avatar
Alice3173
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by Alice3173 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:58 am

Zomis wrote:Another nice feature would be to support *markdown*.
Something better would be an actually logical system. I don't understand why everyone thinks Markdown is so great when it's not terribly user-friendly. Bbcode, on the other hand, is logical and straightforward for people to understand. Most bbcodes largely correspond to actual html elements with a handful of characters changed. (Primarily <> to [].) And considering their current examples look far more like bbcode it'd be more consistent to style text markdown as bbcode instead.

flapje
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by flapje » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:07 am

bNarFProfCrazy wrote:Also please add an option to trigger an control/mod command.

Something like:

Code: Select all

Choose your proffession. [command=mymod-profession("miner")]Miner[/command], [command=mymod-profession("smith")]Smith[/command]...
+1

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:33 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by TheTom » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Is there a planned ETA for 0.17? Not asking for a date, more a "we think maybe June/July" or something vague, just to have an idea.

User avatar
Deadlock989
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 935
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by Deadlock989 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:32 pm

I just realised how awesome it will be to have icons in station names. No more mess of white and red text.

braiam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:57 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by braiam » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:01 pm

I think StrangeLoopsGames with their Eco game figured the item/recipe/technology interactive text thing. I for one, prefer simpler syntax like markdown plus converting to interactive text specific keywords. Of course, that suppose there's a scheme to the name of stuff.

wlfbck
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by wlfbck » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:20 pm

pingger wrote:add the possibility to CTRL+Click (or similar) on an item or even place building and it automatically written to the chat bar, so we don't have to actually write [recipe=advanced-circuit] (I'm thinking of diablo 3 right there) ...
But nice feature
Quoting for visibility. This insanely handy in MMOs and ARPGs.

kylone
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by kylone » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:21 pm

TheTom wrote:Is there a planned ETA for 0.17? Not asking for a date, more a "we think maybe June/July" or something vague, just to have an idea.
The developers generally know a about a month or so in advance that a (new) experimental release will be out.
Since they haven't discussed a feature list for 0.17 yet, I believe the developers aren't far enough along to have a roadmap to release yet.

User avatar
Deadlock989
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 935
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by Deadlock989 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:23 pm

kylone wrote:
TheTom wrote:Is there a planned ETA for 0.17? Not asking for a date, more a "we think maybe June/July" or something vague, just to have an idea.
The developers generally know a about a month or so in advance that a (new) experimental release will be out.
Since they haven't discussed a feature list for 0.17 yet, I believe the developers aren't far enough along to have a roadmap to release yet.
Apart from this one viewtopic.php?f=3&t=678

Gotta love that thread. April 2013, the first published roadmap. Time elapsed until someone asks for belts to be nerfed: 15 hours.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:21 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by dee- » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:53 am

Image

User avatar
bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 6674
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 1:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by bobingabout » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:58 am

quyxkh wrote:One related thing I saw in Spore was, it'd embed creature blueprints in creature images. Could you examine images dropped in the blueprint-pasting box for text metas that look like blueprint strings?
That's part of the PNG format. you can actually store all kinds of information in a PNG file.

Adobe Fireworks (Part of CS6, discontinued after. Apparently nobody used it, I thought it was decent) used layers, like a Photoshop lite, and saved EVERYTHING in the PNG file.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.

wat3rstone
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by wat3rstone » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:44 pm

dee- wrote:Image
I disagree, this idea will probably end well.
-wat3rstone

User avatar
Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:40 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by Ohz » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:07 pm

Very multiplayer oriented, I will never use all of those features personnally. But sounds amazing, good ideas :)
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:00 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by ske » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:02 pm

kylone wrote:The developers generally know a about a month or so in advance that a (new) experimental release will be out.
The developers actually know 3-6 months in advance that a new release will be out in a month.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 7291
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by kovarex » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:31 am

Ohz wrote:Very multiplayer oriented, I will never use all of those features personnally. But sounds amazing, good ideas :)
I agree, that big part of it is multiplayer oriented, but using the icons for stations/blueprints/saves might still be useful in singleplayer.

bulldog98
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:40 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by bulldog98 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:59 am

kovarex wrote:
Ohz wrote:Very multiplayer oriented, I will never use all of those features personnally. But sounds amazing, good ideas :)
I agree, that big part of it is multiplayer oriented, but using the icons for stations/blueprints/saves might still be useful in singleplayer.
Especially if it would be possible to filter station names containing icons, then you would just see your production related stations.

Vatharian
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by Vatharian » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:51 pm

This is probably the coolest feature now!

It brings back pleasant memories of something similar!

Years ago I played Anarchy Online - MMORPG in hard SF setting.

One of the absolutely coolest features it had was user-generated pages. It mainly got used on shop channel, raid interaction & org/clan management.

How it worked, is that user could post a link in text, that could contain clickable reference to item type, actual item or any game screen (like character sheet). It also allowed something much cooler - player could post a link to whole freaking PAGE that used game gui (game's help gui to be exact, not unlike interactive help pages in i.e. old Borland DOS IDE for Pascal/C, or 16-bit Widnows Help). That page could be formated using basic html-like tags, including text formating, tables, lists and item / type references. This way instead of spamming chat, players would post links to self-made custom 'shops'.

I don't remember how the textboxes were stored, if there was some per-player permanent clipboard and used message-id reference number, or if it was pasted as a whole, but it was freaking awesome.

I know Factorio role-play is far from being easy, but that would boost it considerably!
Veni, Vici, Spaghettici - never bus! (tm)

XindlCZ
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #237 - Rich & interactive text

Post by XindlCZ » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:55 pm

Very nice feature! ... i have many train stations and icons with color text help me with organize this chaos :-D. Thank you 8-)

Post Reply

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users