New types of rails (curves, s-curves ...)

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New types of rails (curves, s-curves ...)

Post by ssilk »

This is not longer relevant

This are the main topics of this:
- there is no easy way to "shift" just one rail-width. We need some special s-curve for that.
- rails are bound to even tiles only (a rail needs always 2 tiles). We need even more specialiced cures or s-curves for that.
- we need bigger (longer) curves (so that the track looks more realistic and can be )
- The rail-circle looks ugly, cause it is not a circle.
- we need more different directions (not sure about it)
- Driving a 45º curve with 250 kilometers/hour looks ridiculous fast. :) Train should slow down a bit before such curves. This helps also the issue to be killed by train in narrow areas.

Some pics:

Image (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5726)
Image (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8091)
Image (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10340)
Image (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12603)
Image (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13829)
Image (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22993)

More threads about this subject:

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... f=6&t=5726 [Request] New rails
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... f=6&t=8091 Changing rail recipe
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=10340 Simple fix for the ugly rail circles
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=12603 New rail geometry
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=13829 Improved rail curves
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=19882 More types of rail curves
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22993 S train track
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23275 A Thought on the New Rail Placement System
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31268 Train Exit Side
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34925 Tighter S-curve rails
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42213 Signal gantries [about distance between rails]
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47605 Rail Stop Off-By-One in reverse.

Leaving the fixed 2x2 grid

These are topics, which wrangle with problems, that come from the fact, that the current train network is fixed to even tiles only (2x2 grid of the rails).

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27342 Can't line up train stops with each other
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28383 railway placement
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39955 Snap train to tiles.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37081 Allow train stops to be placed on 1x1 grid

Related

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... 276#p21276 Some suggestions(or may be even requests) [about the speed of trains through the curves]
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... f=6&t=4971 Hotkey+R to rotate counter-clockwise [The demos looked like you still need to/can rotate the target rail, so this still makes sense]
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... =67&t=7717 Can the player be killed by train? (Train kills?!)
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=14004 Mine straigt rails over curved [Till now it's not clear, how rails will be removed, so it also makes sense to put it into this list]
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41820 Different pathfinding for rails
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=19953 New types of rails (curves, s-curves ...)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: New types of rails (curves, s-curves ...)

Post by mrvn »

I would love larger curves so one could build parallel lines with small curves on the inside and large curves on the outside.

The existing curves might also look better without the extra diagonal straight. But that's the old rails.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

I would welcome a grid allowing s-curves for gaps < 4.
Having more radii and 90° curves without the diagonal piece would make tracks look a lot better too.
Merging could be either great or a pile of frustration if you wanted a switch there instead of an s-curve.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Another idea for train layout

Post by Gergely »

Last edited by Gergely on Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

More flexible rails would be real nice. But i fear that the current method is very rigid both by rail and trains, which doesnt allow for anymore flexibility than there currently is without changing the concept behind the rails in the base game first. Just alone seeing the bugs that trains introduced on specific rail conditions, you dont want more rails. Well i dont. I'd rather want another game (factorio 2) that does things differently really.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Changing the railroad grid from 2x2 to 1x1 while keeping the width of the railway at 2 and adding more curve radiuses now seems like it would be doable without complicating the gui since curved rail items have been abstracted away and rail is layed by drag'n'confirm.
Looks like the next logical development step regarding the railroad system.
It would certainly help with designing nice looking rail stations, intersections and buffers.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

And bridges.
And ship-loading.
And containerization.
And ...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

pingger
Inserter
Inserter

Post by pingger »

ssilk wrote:And bridges.
And ship-loading.
And containerization.
And ...
Haven't seen anybody talking about ships and containers yet, but a good idea (at least the containers)

And Bridges for trains are not necessary since we have landfill (IMHO)

But I definitely support the idea of having more rail options like mentioned above

Greetings

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

pingger wrote:And Bridges for trains are not necessary since we have landfill (IMHO)
But if we have ships, then a landfill train bridge would block a shipping lane.

dgw
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dgw »

The real question is, if we have ships, would we be able to build a ship-shipping ship that ships shipping ships?

All joking aside, I seriously went looking for a mod that added at least rail containers when I saw that thing about containerization. Never did find one, sadly.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

dgw wrote:All joking aside, I seriously went looking for a mod that added at least rail containers when I saw that thing about containerization.
I do not care about containers as stack inserters work quite well for loading and unloading regular wagons.

But is it possible to change the workings and laying of rails by modding?

The current state of the rail system is definitely good enough for gameplay purposes and look good too. Therefore i do not expect the devs upgrading it further soon. But i really like the aesthetics of complicated stations and also like to start with multiple lines that are completed to a full transportation network later on.
Therefore i would at least try to learn modding and mod multiple curve radii in myself if such a thing is possible.

melwil
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by melwil »

pingger wrote:
And ship-loading.
And containerization.
And ...
Bridges have a ton more uses than spanning bodies of water, though. Just being able to make more intelligent intersections and stations for trains would make bridges a very attractive addition to the game, in my opinion.

The main problem with this may just be the lack of a Z-axis, though I really do miss it.

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

melwil wrote:
pingger wrote:
And ship-loading.
And containerization.
And ...
Bridges have a ton more uses than spanning bodies of water, though. Just being able to make more intelligent intersections and stations for trains would make bridges a very attractive addition to the game, in my opinion.

The main problem with this may just be the lack of a Z-axis, though I really do miss it.
No need to over complicate it with a z axis.
Just do them the same way that cliffs and buildings simulate height.

As for the rail laying, just make it spline based with the spline attaching to the map cords where you click and flexing to fit those cords.

dgw
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dgw »

Somehow I get the feeling that making rails spline-based would heavily affect performance. If nothing else, it would probably massively increase the number of sprites needed to render rails.

pleegwat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by pleegwat »

A bridge which goes over anything would necessitate at least 2 positions on the Z axis, or anything standing below the bridge would collide with a train passing over it.

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

Really wish they add this because it looks so fumb when trains go high speed through 45* angled curves!

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

If there will be z axis then not just land bridges (for crossings) will be possible, but also tunels. I enjoyed that a lot in transport tycoon, i will not work with fake elevation we have now, tho’. Although, since we have ug belts, why not ug rails? :)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

mexmer wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:55 pm
If there will be z axis then not just land bridges (for crossings) will be possible, but also tunels. I enjoyed that a lot in transport tycoon, i will not work with fake elevation we have now, tho’. Although, since we have ug belts, why not ug rails? :)
Tunnels are different than bridges. Bridges you are supposed to see and walk under. Tunnels are basically just 2 holes in the ground where the train disappears and reappears. And the hole could lead to another surface so you can walk through the tunnel and the train has somewhere to be while in the tunnel.

So we don't need underground rails, we need rails that change surfaces.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

mrvn wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:02 am
mexmer wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:55 pm
Tunnels are different than bridges. Bridges you are supposed to see and walk under. Tunnels are basically just 2 holes in the ground where the train disappears and reappears. And the hole could lead to another surface so you can walk through the tunnel and the train has somewhere to be while in the tunnel.

So we don't need underground rails, we need rails that change surfaces.
but then you will need ground elevators, so you can access those UG surfaces.

Return to “Implemented in 2.0”