- adaptive fuel consumption
- beautiful rotational symmetry
- almost perfect neighbour bonus: Only 3% less efficiency than a 2xN setup
The reactor requires 12 water pipes from each side, so it is recommended to place it on a small island. You really need water on each side, trust me . Apart from that, the only prerequisites are an incoming belt with uranium fuel cells and an outgoing belt with nuclear waste. The blueprint contains enough roboports such that most of the reactor can be built autonomously. The only exception is the center of the reactor, as it is a logistic network of its own. Once the construction is complete, don't forget to place at least two logistics robots in the reactor core's roboports.
A simple combinator setup prevents the system from consuming too many fuel cells. Each reactor is numbered from 0 to 31. Only reactor 0 is unconditionally active. The current level of steam is used to determine how many reactors should be active to meet demand. Every 375 game ticks (200 seconds * 60 ticks/second / 32 reactors), one reactor is inspected to see whether its number is less than the number of reactors that should be active. If so, a single fuel cell is delivered to this reactor.
Suggestions for improvements are most welcome.
- Version 1.1 https://pastebin.com/t2TWkmm4
- Version 1.4 https://pastebin.com/qrmCd5QF (Now with roboports, better aesthetics and more reliable circuitry!)