Factorio Roadmap for 1.0.

Information about releases and roadmap.
Sigma1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Factorio Roadmap for 0.15 + 0.16

Post by Sigma1 »

Toude wrote:Will you keep making Factorio for 32-bit Linux? I would really like to continue playing it on my 11 years old computer but the last compatible version is an 0.14.x.
You could try running it with Qemu, emulating 64bit hardware, but don't expect good performance out of it.
she/they

fechnert
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Factorio Roadmap for 0.15 + 0.16

Post by fechnert »

slpwnd wrote: Factorio 0.16
Planned:
  • More high res stuff
  • GUI re-skin and possible improvements
  • New terrain generation
Would love to see this features in the 0.16 release. The atillery-train can wait, we need a more awesome terrain and a better GUI.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/'.76561198066150999.']Image[/url]

jSuva
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Factorio Roadmap for 0.16+

Post by jSuva »

When we could see the first 0.16.1 ?

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

jSuva wrote:When we could see the first 0.16.1 ?
After the release of 0.16.0.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

jSuva
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jSuva »

steinio wrote:
My bad :D . OK so when 0.16.0?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

1-4 months later than their initial estimate :).
Last edited by Jap2.0 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

jSuva wrote:
steinio wrote:
My bad :D . OK so when 0.16.0?
It will not come before many months. They said some time ago that they are aiming for late this year. But they will say more when they have more idea as many feature are in work. Wait, read weekly FFF and we will see.
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

drmason13
Inserter
Inserter

Post by drmason13 »

R.I.P Spidertron.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-120

Gone but not forgotten.

Sigma1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sigma1 »

drmason13 wrote:R.I.P Spidertron.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-120

Gone but not forgotten.
Maybe they could add it to the game as a non-craftable item, bit like the loader? Then the community could make graphics and mod in a recipe
she/they

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mendel »

RIP Spidey the Spidertron. Let's have a moment of silence in memory of his long inserter legs.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Good call on dirty mining, we already have mods for dirty mining so yeah, optimization is a way to go! New TG and artillery train, i can't wait to see that! :D

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

cpy wrote:Good call on dirty mining, we already have mods for dirty mining so yeah, optimization is a way to go! New TG and artillery train, i can't wait to see that! :D
Actually, dirty mining is a better idea than mining productivity. At least with current kind of mining productivity update rate.

JJosh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JJosh »

cpy wrote:Good call on dirty mining, we already have mods for dirty mining so yeah, optimization is a way to go! New TG and artillery train, i can't wait to see that! :D
There were already mods for nuclear power too, but that was put in vanilla.
cpy wrote:Actually, dirty mining is a better idea than mining productivity. At least with current kind of mining productivity update rate.
I can't really speak for the update rate of mining productivity since I don't think it should be "efficient". It's supposed to be something to do with a late game factory with a late game science production capacity, instead of researching everything and then having nothing at all to do.

I'd like dirty mining though. I didn't know it was meant to solve the problem of making new outposts all the time but even if it was, it'd be cool to have the option.

Is the spider vehicle officially not happening? That'd be a bummer.

Sigma1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sigma1 »

I wouldn't mind dirty mining, I like when everything is complicated, but in a vanilla-like way.

Also, Spidertron or Riot!
she/they

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Sigma1 wrote:I wouldn't mind dirty mining, I like when everything is complicated, but in a vanilla-like way.
I also find that Dirty Mining would be the better and more interesting gameplay solution.

The infinite productivity Research thingy is in my opinion a cheap cop-out so they did not have to add any content (as if the existing machines/graphics couldn't be re-used for Dirty Mining and it just being some added recipes)... and the Infinite research also only gets one so far before the exponential increase in research costs eventually render it useless.

So I'd have liked to see the left-over "dirty ore" patch to behave like oil wells with decreasing yield that eventually reaches a minimum yield. That way you can leave the infrastructure there forever and somewhere you have to refine the dirty ore to useful ore.

The refining could have worked similar to how the Kovarex Enrichment process works or something like that.

But whatever, seems like the way to go will eventually be mods anyways once Development is finished.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

MeduSalem wrote:and the Infinite research also only gets one so far before the exponential increase in research costs eventually render it useless.
The mining productivity cost grows linearly, not exponentially.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

kovarex wrote:The mining productivity cost grows linearly, not exponentially.
Ah well... I probably should have written it differently...

I know that from one level to another the cost increases only in increments of 100... making it linear from your perspective as a developer.

But in reality as a player I rather consider the total cumulative amount of research required to get to certain level and then actually it is not growing linearly... so eventually it is becoming unfeasible to pursue going further at some point:
research.png
research.png (14.09 KiB) Viewed 10528 times
x-axis is the Level
y-axis displays the cumulative amount of research up to that level.

Looking at the graph you are right... it doesn't grow exponentially... it grows quadratically... double the level consumes 4 times the total amount of cumulative research or so it seems... 4 times the level consumes 16 times the total cumulative research and so on. Still ugly though... Because it means I would have to increase my throughput capabilities 4 times for every doubled level to keep the research speed the same.

That's exactly why I'm not really fond of the way the research costs currently increase per level... the research eventually slows down to a crawl due to increasing costs and upgrading the entire infrastructure 4 times every other doubled level is not really do-able due to all kinds of imposed logistic and space constraints (even with the best designs possible)... basically the stock vanilla Items aren't made to deal with that sort of throughput growth (not even the Logistic Bots). Even making your megabase entirely modular won't help about it because of how it impacts the UPS/FPS negatively after a certain point if you always keep on expanding by a factor of 4.

So maybe the cost increase per level should be less than what you consider "linear" to make the cumulative total research investment curve not grow in a quadratic fashion.

Also I don't feel like going that far in the first place because it doesn't add anything gameplay wise because it's just clicking a button and waiting for the result... I can just leave Factorio running in the background of my computer for several days in an average factory to compensate for the lack of throughput, but what's the point of that if it clearly becomes so tedious that I consider doing such things rather than actually playing?

That's the main argument I have against infinite research as a resource dump in the first place... Who are you still getting better for once done with the main research tree?

I think that once one upgraded every "+weapon damage" thingy to the point one is capable of one-hit-killing Behemoth Biters you are done with upgrading... because any more damage can't kill it any faster.

But getting to the end of the regular research tree you are already so overpowered and you have such a strong defense set up that you literally nuke everything to oblivion even without single-hitting Behemoths.

But all that said I always prefer gameplay solutions to compensate for problems over plain "+% Stats" approaches.

That's why I'd rather have dirty mining with some added recipes on existing machinery the way I described in my previous post... than having to deal with mining productivity.

Probably there is going to be a mod for that eventually anyways if there isn't already... so I'll play with that once the game is in a finished state. (I'm currently avoiding mods for the reason that they tend to break easily)

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

MeduSalem wrote: the stock vanilla Items aren't made to deal with that sort of throughput growth (not even the Logistic Bots). Even making your megabase entirely modular won't help about it because of how it impacts the UPS/FPS negatively after a certain point if you always keep on expanding by a factor of 4.

[...] I don't feel like going that far in the first place because it doesn't add anything gameplay wise because it's just clicking a button and waiting for the result... I can just leave Factorio running in the background of my computer for several days in an average factory to compensate for the lack of throughput, but what's the point of that if it clearly becomes so tedious that I consider doing such things rather than actually playing?

[...] getting to the end of the regular research tree you are already so overpowered and you have such a strong defense set up that you literally nuke everything to oblivion even without single-hitting Behemoths.
Wow, you summed that up extremely well. I've been trying to figure out what I don't like about end-game factorio, but this is exactly it.

Sonik-HSC
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sonik-HSC »

Now with the news about version 0.17.x This roadmap must be updated by the devs. :mrgreen:

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

The roadmap has been updated. At the moment only "GUI rewrite" is underr 0.17, but I assume other things might come (if it does become 1.0, I doubt that a majority of the devs will do nothing for the final version).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “Releases”