[MOD 1.1.x|1.0.x]Recycling Machines

Topics and discussion about specific mods
DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 1.1.x|1.0.x]Recycling Machines

Post by DRY411S »

Recycling Machines

Description: Adds Recycling Machines to the game. These allow you to get back the ingredients that you used to create most items/entities in the vanilla game, and also new items/entities in many of the most popular mods.

Thank you to XTerminator for his Mod Spotlight on Youtube

Download Latest version:
Experimental factorio v1.1: v1.1.4 (05-Dec-2020)
Stable factorio v1.0: v1.0.4 (05-Dec-2020)
Downloads are available for earlier versions of factorio, on GitHub, but are no longer being maintained.

Note: Support for mods that adds their own item group tabs to crafting menus is 'complete'. These are Bob's, Angel's, Bio Industries, 5dim and Pyanodon Mods. If you require further mod support to be added, please raise an issue at https://github.com/DRY411S/Recycling-Machines/issues

Dependencies: None
License: GNU GPL v3
Tags: ?
LONG DESCRIPTION
Mod Compatibility
KNOWN ISSUES
CHANGELOG - NO LONGER MAINTAINED - DETAILS IN MOD CHANGELOG

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

I learned a lot by studying Reverse Factory a smelter based recycling mod by Taniotoshi
Last edited by DRY411S on Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:59 am, edited 32 times in total.

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.x|MOD 0.13.9+]Recycling Machines

Post by DRY411S »

This mod, and all trigger mods are now available on the mod portal for factorio versions 0.13 and 0.14. The first post in the topic has been updated with all the new download locations.

DarcClan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DarcClan »

Suggestion to support recycling of Flow Control mod

dodo1987
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dodo1987 »

Hello,

Thank you so much for creating this! I was looking for someone to do this.

I have no idea how to do mods and do not want to sound like an ass. I have had some thoughts about the recycling, most of which you have implemented already. Do you reckon it is a good idea to
have the recycling as a separate research tree. Hence, you would need to research
-1st level of recycling machinery, then 2nd and then 3rd. You could make the costs relevant to the science packs (so to open lvl 1 red and green, Lvl 2, red, green and blue, lvl3 all science packs).
-research recycling efficiency. That way this would be progressive and players can choose themselves which is the realistic recycling percentage it is for them. To me I would not go to 100%, some may.
-I do not know what time it takes to recycle an item, I would make it long, say a minute?

Please let me know your thoughts. :D

micomico
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by micomico »

Hi!

I've started a game with Recycling Machines and a bunch of other mods installed and all was working well.

Since then, I decided to install a few other mods. These new mods' recipes don't appear when choosing a recipe on the recycling machine. I've started a new game with all the mods installed and all the recipes show up in the recycling machines.

Is there a way to make the new mods' recipes available in my old game?

EDIT:

I solved my problem. I extracted the mod zip and bumped the version on the mod folder, info.json and the migration script. Loaded the game and checked that all the recipes were available. I then deleted the mod folder, reverting to the original zip version.

Brathahn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Brathahn »

Hi,
is it possible to set a recycling recipe with a crafting combinator somehow? (crafting combinator mod)
If not would it be possible to add the recycling-recipes to the virtual signals?

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

Wow, why didn't the notification system tell me that all you had posted feedback? Apologies for not replying before now.
Brathahn wrote:Hi,
is it possible to set a recycling recipe with a crafting combinator somehow? (crafting combinator mod)
If not would it be possible to add the recycling-recipes to the virtual signals?
That's a question for the author of the crafting combinator mod. So I've asked the question at this link
micomico wrote:Hi!

I've started a game with Recycling Machines and a bunch of other mods installed and all was working well.

Since then, I decided to install a few other mods. These new mods' recipes don't appear when choosing a recipe on the recycling machine. I've started a new game with all the mods installed and all the recipes show up in the recycling machines.

EDIT:

I solved my problem. I extracted the mod zip and bumped the version on the mod folder, info.json and the migration script. Loaded the game and checked that all the recipes were available. I then deleted the mod folder, reverting to the original zip version.
Good workaround. It's a limitation of factorio that the Recycling Machine recipes MUST be built at the start of a new game, or when the mod thinks that it's a newer version. Your edit fooled factorio into thinking my mod had been upgraded. :)
DarcClan wrote:Suggestion to support recycling of Flow Control mod
It already does. No coding on my part needed.
dodo1987 wrote:Hello,

Thank you so much for creating this! I was looking for someone to do this.

I have no idea how to do mods and do not want to sound like an ass. I have had some thoughts about the recycling, most of which you have implemented already. Do you reckon it is a good idea to
have the recycling as a separate research tree. Hence, you would need to research
-1st level of recycling machinery, then 2nd and then 3rd. You could make the costs relevant to the science packs (so to open lvl 1 red and green, Lvl 2, red, green and blue, lvl3 all science packs).
-research recycling efficiency. That way this would be progressive and players can choose themselves which is the realistic recycling percentage it is for them. To me I would not go to 100%, some may.
-I do not know what time it takes to recycle an item, I would make it long, say a minute?

Please let me know your thoughts. :D
Here's my thoughts.

- There's no reason that there could not be a separate research tree for recycling, but I decided not to bother. :)
- Efficiency. Because of the way factorio works, the recipes have to be built at the start of a new game, or the first time you used the mod with a previously saved game. So the efficiency is fixed at the start. The only way I could think of to improve efficiency was with some kind of recycling efficiency module, but that's beyond my current modding skill level.
- Recycling time is the same as cycling time for each item.

HoraZ86
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HoraZ86 »

Hey
im always using your mod, it a preaty god and useful mod
yesterday i tried another mod in combination with your mod, the crafting combinator mod.
its also a peaty useful mod, bud sadly, the are not comtabil.
Maybe you ore someone els knos a way to make them compateble, i was thinking of a universal rycycling facility

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

Hi Horza86, thanks for the feedback.

I have asked the crafting combinator mod writer the question a few days ago and they replied. viewtopic.php?f=93&t=34405&p=236612&hil ... or#p236603

They seem to think it works OK?

Brathahn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Brathahn »

Hi DRY411S,
the problem with your mod is that it doesnt add the recycling recipes to the virtual signals (like green or red signal in a combinator).
So even when the crafting combinator is able to set it.. you dont have the vitual signal to be sent in the first place.

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

Brathahn wrote:Hi DRY411S,
the problem with your mod is that it doesnt add the recycling recipes to the virtual signals (like green or red signal in a combinator).
So even when the crafting combinator is able to set it.. you dont have the vitual signal to be sent in the first place.
Or the crafting combinator mod does not add the recycling recipes to the virtual signals. Or the crafting combinator mod does not amend the recycling machine entities to accept virtual signals.

Look, the vanilla assembly machines don't accept these 'virtual signals' from crafting combinators, and that mod must therefore make changes to vanilla assemblers. That mod needs to detect my mod and make similar changes to my recycling machines.

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15.x|0.14.x|MOD 0.13.9+]Recycling Machines

Post by DRY411S »

I've released an experimental version for factorio v0.15. This is untested with any other mods, and currently has no support for expensive recipes or high resolution graphics. It is temporarily using the same low and hi res graphics for assembling machines. If used, the Recycling Machines will return 100% of the normal recipe ingredients, there are no trigger mods yet to change this ratio.

Experimental version

For factorio v0.15: v0.15.1 (01-May-2017) is available on the mod portal.

Stable Versions

For factorio v0.14: v0.14.1 (30-Aug-2016) is available on the mod portal.
For factorio v0.13: v0.13.21 (25-Aug-2016) is available on the mod portal.

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

v0.15.2 released

Post by DRY411S »

Thanks for the feedback and bug reporting. v0.15.2 has been released to fix one bug and to add support for Mod Settings. You can now change the percentage of the original ingredients that the Recycling Machines produce by using the game's built-in Mod Startup Settings.

For factorio v0.15: v0.15.2 (03-May-2017) is available on the mod portal.

v0.15.2
Fix: Load error when used with some mods
Enhancement: No trigger mods available

There are known issues, but no known bugs. This is an Experimental version
Stable Versions

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

v0.15.3
Fix: Recycling tabs in crafting are wrong size
Enhancement: New lo and hi-res graphics for the entity, vanilla 0.15 assembling machines graphics are no longer being used as placeholder

For factorio v0.15: v0.15.3 (18-May-2017) is available on the mod portal.

There are known issues, but no known bugs. This is an Experimental version
Stable Versions

Eiretek
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Eiretek »

There seems to be an error in the recycling machine 3 graphics. in the recycling-machine-3.png there are a few rows of pixels missing from the sprites at the very bottom and is very noticeable in the animation. :)

Enjoying this mod!

-Eire-

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

Eiretek wrote:There seems to be an error in the recycling machine 3 graphics. in the recycling-machine-3.png there are a few rows of pixels missing from the sprites at the very bottom and is very noticeable in the animation. :)

Enjoying this mod!

-Eire-
Quite possibly because I'm rubbish at graphics editing.

Converted to an issue https://github.com/DRY411S/Recycling-Machines/issues/31

Glad you're enjoying.

Edit: Since you know that it's a particular graphics file that's bad, I assume that you've unzipped the mod. I will supply a fix in the next release (which will support the expensive recipes). In the meantime, here's a 'patch' :D
Attachments
recycling-machine-3.png
recycling-machine-3.png (602.66 KiB) Viewed 16525 times

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

v0.15.4
Fix: Recycling Machine 3 graphics corrupt
Fix: Trains, wagons and vehicles cannot be recycled
Enhancement: Support for expensive recipes in factorio 0.15

For factorio v0.15: v0.15.4 (02-Jun-2017) is available on the mod portal.

There are no known issues now that support for expensive recipes is added in this release.

Stable Versions

dgw
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dgw »

DRY411S wrote:
micomico wrote:Hi!

EDIT:

Good workaround. It's a limitation of factorio that the Recycling Machine recipes MUST be built at the start of a new game, or when the mod thinks that it's a newer version. Your edit fooled factorio into thinking my mod had been upgraded. :)
I was wondering why items from mods I installed after this one weren't recyclable, and now I know why. I hope some way for mods to be notified of changes to the recipe tree is added at some point. I just faked an upgrade on my save to great success, but messing with unzipped mod folders feels so…alpha. :P (And in the process, I discovered that Factorio really doesn't like version numbers that don't match the format `x.y.z`… It actually crashed on load when I tried using 0.15.4.1 as the version.)

I've noticed that some recipes have name errors in the recycling menu, though. Things like FARL's module (`farl-roboport` I believe; the regular FARL displays fine), the Train Speed Limit signs, Factorissimo2 buildings, certain AAI mod items… I figured the mod could pick up item names from the localizations just as easily as it detects the recipes, but I guess that's harder?

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

dgw wrote:
I was wondering why items from mods I installed after this one weren't recyclable, and now I know why. I hope some way for mods to be notified of changes to the recipe tree is added at some point. I just faked an upgrade on my save to great success, but messing with unzipped mod folders feels so…alpha. :P (And in the process, I discovered that Factorio really doesn't like version numbers that don't match the format `x.y.z`… It actually crashed on load when I tried using 0.15.4.1 as the version.)
With 0.15 it may be possible to know that mods have been changed since the last save, and trigger some new recipe generation, I'll check that out.
dgw wrote:I've noticed that some recipes have name errors in the recycling menu, though. Things like FARL's module (`farl-roboport` I believe; the regular FARL displays fine), the Train Speed Limit signs, Factorissimo2 buildings, certain AAI mod items… I figured the mod could pick up item names from the localizations just as easily as it detects the recipes, but I guess that's harder?
Without going into too much detail, the mod just finds the locale entry and puts "Recycled" on the front and "parts" on the end.

The way it does this is that if vanilla and/or a mod defines an item, it should have a entry in the locale file for that item, in a particular section of that locale file. If it's an entity, then the entry should be in the a different section of the locale file.

The problem is (and this is true of some parts of vanilla, not just mods), that sometimes the item name is in the entity section, and sometimes the entity name is in the item section, so I have a giant translation table that tells the mod where to look in the locale. FARL is one mod that I have not built a translation table. Maybe I'll get around to it one day.

(And of course some mods hardcode the names instead of using a locale file at all. There's nothing I can do about those).

dgw
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dgw »

DRY411S wrote:With 0.15 it may be possible to know that mods have been changed since the last save, and trigger some new recipe generation, I'll check that out.
I went poking about in the Lua API documentation a bit just now, and I think I hit the jackpot for this in the form of LuaBootstrap.on_configuration_changed(f): "Register a function to be run when mod configuration changes. This is called any time the game version changes, prototypes change, startup mod settings change, and any time mod versions change including adding or removing mods."

Edit: Added this particular info to the issue tracker, with details of how far back in the Factorio version history it goes (at least to 0.13).
DRY411S wrote:Without going into too much detail, the mod just finds the locale entry and puts "Recycled" on the front and "parts" on the end.

The way it does this is that if vanilla and/or a mod defines an item, it should have a entry in the locale file for that item, in a particular section of that locale file. If it's an entity, then the entry should be in the a different section of the locale file.

The problem is (and this is true of some parts of vanilla, not just mods), that sometimes the item name is in the entity section, and sometimes the entity name is in the item section, so I have a giant translation table that tells the mod where to look in the locale. FARL is one mod that I have not built a translation table. Maybe I'll get around to it one day.

(And of course some mods hardcode the names instead of using a locale file at all. There's nothing I can do about those).
Ah, so the entries that don't get picked up are probably due to the other mod "doing it wrong", either by putting the names in the wrong locale section or not using locales at all. Makes sense, and I'll just be glad of the ones that do get picked up. If even vanilla has that issue, I can't expect all mod authors to do it right. :)

Return to “Mods”