Canceling crafting when inventory is full spills items

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Slayn25
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Canceling crafting when inventory is full spills items

Post by Slayn25 »

From 0.15 Release Notes
-Crafting is now paused when the results can't be given to the player instead of spilling them on the ground.

Could we get the same treatment when canceling crafting? Perhaps instead of spilling items onto ground you get an "unable to cancel crafting: no room in inventory" error message.

leoch
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Canceling crafting when inventory is full spills items

Post by leoch »

That would make no sense. Perhaps they should just make crafting less "cheaty" and only remove resources from the inventory after completion (but "freezing" items in use).

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

At least a warning would be nice... so many times I've cancelled some big crafting order (so that I can craft that last yellow inserter I need to finish what I'm working on), and dropped a gajillion pieces of random crap onto a mishmash of belts which immediately send them in all directions to clog things up... :(

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

I am also in favor of this suggestion.

Slayn25
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Slayn25 »

A way to expedite a new craft order would also be convenient.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Slayn25 wrote:Could we get the same treatment when canceling crafting? Perhaps instead of spilling items onto ground you get an "unable to cancel crafting: no room in inventory" error message.
That doesn't make sense. :) And is just quite simple to avoid by the player. And the item-bomb (search for it) is fun. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Slayn25
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Slayn25 »

ssilk wrote:That doesn't make sense. :) And is just quite simple to avoid by the player.
If you're going to spill items due to canceling crafting you'd be prevented. At this point, you can wait for your items to craft, or you could free up inventory space and then cancel. Yes, it's simple to avoid but so is crafting overflow. I think cancelled overflow should be fixed for the same reason.
ssilk wrote:And the item-bomb (search for it) is fun. :)
Not so much when it happens to you but maybe when you witness a noob in multiplayer... alright I retract my suggestion.

EsX_Raptor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by EsX_Raptor »

leoch wrote:remove resources from the inventory after completion (but "freezing" items in use)
I support this.

Edit: Instead of freezing items, remove them from the player's inventory while not allowing them to pick more items beyond their carrying capacity.
Life as we once knew it is dead.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Slayn25 wrote:Not so much when it happens to you but maybe when you witness a noob in multiplayer... alright I retract my suggestion.
Well, if a player is really a noob and he sees that message "unable to cancel crafting: no room in inventory", what should he do then? And does he understand, what this means? What is crafting? I just requested to make things and now it stops! Why is there no room left? This game has no rooms I thought. ;)

IMHO: There is no simple solution for this problem, so the best option is always to make something, which enables continue to play. Which it does now.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

On a related note: Wouldn't it be nice if the item you have in your hand is still actually in your inventory?

Example: I just dropped a deconstruction order on a large section of factory. Suddenly I'm swarmed by a million bots trying to drop stuff off, and my inventory is full. Oops... poor planning :(. Well, I better drop a couple chests to hold the extra stuff. Wait, I still have a deconstruction planner in my hand and can't put it away! So, I can't even place a chest!

Slayn25
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Slayn25 »

Selvek wrote:On a related note: Wouldn't it be nice if the item you have in your hand is still actually in your inventory?

Example: I just dropped a deconstruction order on a large section of factory. Suddenly I'm swarmed by a million bots trying to drop stuff off, and my inventory is full. Oops... poor planning :(. Well, I better drop a couple chests to hold the extra stuff. Wait, I still have a deconstruction planner in my hand and can't put it away! So, I can't even place a chest!
I've ran into that several times. Sure you figured it out but in case it saves others some frustration:
1. Open your inventory and swap whatever is in your hand with chests
2. Place a chest
3. ctrl+click the chest

I also highly reccomend middle mouse clicking your deconstruction planner (if it's on your toolbar.)

SerhiiS
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Cancel craft when full inventory

Post by SerhiiS »

Now you can cancel the craft with a full inventory and a nuisance will occur as in the screenshot. Please add a check in such a case that it would be impossible to cancel the craft if the items do not fit into the inventory

I also watch factorio streams and many have this problem. I think it’s still worth locking `cancel craft` if it doesn’t fit into the inventory. What do you think?

EDIT1:
Deconstruction planner will help beginners who have researched construction drones. But it will not help those who do not yet have drones. And also in mods, drones open after 50-100 hours.

This post was originally aimed as a suggestion to make changes to the vanilla game. Write your suggestions about this. So you play vanilla and mods, do you want the game to not allow you to cancel the craft, or is the current behavior of the game completely satisfied with you?

EDIT2:
Fortunately, some of the logic can be implemented using mods. For fans https://mods.factorio.com/mod/HandCraftPriority

PS. I think if there are many who want to change this in the vanilla game, then the developers will listen to us.
Attachments
Снимок экрана 2022-09-18 в 14.49.53.png
Снимок экрана 2022-09-18 в 14.49.53.png (5.5 MiB) Viewed 2940 times
Last edited by SerhiiS on Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Cancel craft when full inventory

Post by Tertius »

Plate explosion!

You can order bots to pick up items on the ground with a proper deconstruction planner: put a blank deconstruction planner in your inventory, then edit its filter. Go to the surprise box category and add the "item on the ground". Then apply the deconstruction planner to the area with the dropped items. Only the items on the ground will be marked for deconstruction, nothing else.

However, items that got dropped onto belts cannot be reclaimed this way.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

Tertius wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:39 pm
However, items that got dropped onto belts cannot be reclaimed this way.
Forgive my pedantry: while it’s correct that the “item on ground” filter ignores items on belts, items don’t spill on belts in the first place anymore
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Ah, that's really good. I guessed from the image in the OP that items will also spill onto belts - it's long ago I encountered this situation myself.

In this case the workaround with the deconstruction planner is valid. A bit tedious, but valid.

BicycleEater
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BicycleEater »

Yes, this would be amazing.
I'd say the game should give a message like: "Cancelling craft will overflow inventory, are you sure?"
Then clicking again would cancel anyway.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

This also happens when you replace a large chest with a smaller chest and don't have enough room in your inventory to fit the extra material . And also when you change/remove an armor that gave extra inventory slots and inventory becomes too small which can accidently happens while trying to change the grid equipment.

Maybe other cases too.

I don't know any positive side to this behavior, except maybe as an incentive to not handcraft large amount of things. I give my vote for the suggestion :)

SerhiiS
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SerhiiS »

Fortunately, some of the logic can be implemented using mods. For fans https://mods.factorio.com/mod/HandCraftPriority

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread with same suggestion
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

gdubrocks
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by gdubrocks »

Support. The current method is way more frustrating than the suggested one.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”