Science Packs 1 - 4 Factory

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
solardarity
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Science Packs 1 - 4 Factory

Post by solardarity »

Hi, I'm kinda new here and I just wanted to show off a belt system I made for my science packs/ research.

It should be said that this design is not for people who want something compact, this system is quite large. (Actually in fact, everything on this save is rather expansive)

If you can't see the purple science packs, they (will) be made in the assemblies opposite the blue science pack assemblies when I unlock alien tech on this save.

Anyways, here it is.

- Solardarity

general_d
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Science Packs 1 - 4 Factory

Post by general_d »

nice

I also don't really strive for compact. I love a nice sprawling factory with crazy conveyer belts, especially since I have only put it maybe 20 hours so far. That's what makes this such great fun you can have any design you like.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

I like compact factories with belts sprawling all over like spaghetti without any order.

Best of both worlds! Plus it's always fun when you come to the point where you need to drag a belt all across that mess to the other end of the factory.

general_d
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by general_d »

hey drury, bit off topic but is that an open TTD logo you are using???

if so then very nice!

mohreb
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mohreb »

shouldn't there be en efficiency beacon near the 4th tier science pack constructor part ? (at least for me alien artifacts seem to come hard for a beacon to worth it)

solardarity
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by solardarity »

mohreb wrote:shouldn't there be en efficiency beacon near the 4th tier science pack constructor part ? (at least for me alien artifacts seem to come hard for a beacon to worth it)
I'm playing this particular save with very big biter bases, with very good quality.

I basically get constantly attacked at my walls, so I have to go out and cull off the spawners when they get too close to my wall, which results in lots of alien artifacts, so no need for beacons. Even in the screenshot in this thread, I had already collected some alien artifacts before even getting alien tech.

- Solardarity

Reygan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Reygan »

general_d wrote:hey drury, bit off topic but is that an open TTD logo you are using???

if so then very nice!
Yes, that it is.
Daniel V. Lenskiy

Palpatine
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Palpatine »

general_d wrote:nice

I also don't really strive for compact. I love a nice sprawling factory with crazy conveyer belts, especially since I have only put it maybe 20 hours so far. That's what makes this such great fun you can have any design you like.
Compactness is one thing, but I think OP's design doesn't have the correct proportions of factories. For example there are way too many circuit factories relative to the cable factories.

solardarity
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by solardarity »

Palpatine wrote:
general_d wrote:nice

Compactness is one thing, but I think OP's design doesn't have the correct proportions of factories. For example there are way too many circuit factories relative to the cable factories.
This science pack factory isn't actually entirely a closed system. If you notice at the end of the EC factory belt, there's an inserter and a chest. Currently that chest is apart of my logistics system that (along with an even BIGGER EC factory) feeds the rest of my factory which uses 95% logistics bots to transfer reagents between chests for production. Not to mention the fact that there's a lot of things that are AC hungry, so the AC factories need all the EC they can get.

But anyway, of course if someone were to use this design in their factory, they could reduce or increase the number of any one part of the production to suit their own needs.

EDIT: Re-read your original post. As for crafting speeds of cables vs. ECs, if they're both operating without modules in the same tier assembler, the cables won't keep up with EC production. My solution was to just put more speed modules in the cables than there are in the EC assemblers, saving me having to change my factory layout.

- Solardarity

Bleda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bleda »

I expanded my compact 1+2 science factory to add blue science too. It's now about the triple size, but that's still very compact, considering the complexity of blue science. I have 6 blue assemblies for them, so technically they can't keep up with red and green production, but since lots of techs don't actually need blue, I think it's ok. I could use yellow assemblies or speed modules to get the output to 0.5/s like the red and green.
the assembly in the bottom right corner is for alien science packs. It won't keep up with the other's speed, that's the only downside about my perfectly squared little science factory. ;)

hope you like it
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2014-05-14 um 21.30.10.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2014-05-14 um 21.30.10.jpg (434.59 KiB) Viewed 19330 times

solardarity
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by solardarity »

Bleda wrote:I expanded my compact 1+2 science factory to add blue science too. It's now about the triple size, but that's still very compact, considering the complexity of blue science. I have 6 blue assemblies for them, so technically they can't keep up with red and green production, but since lots of techs don't actually need blue, I think it's ok. I could use yellow assemblies or speed modules to get the output to 0.5/s like the red and green.
the assembly in the bottom right corner is for alien science packs. It won't keep up with the other's speed, that's the only downside about my perfectly squared little science factory. ;)

hope you like it

I like how compact that is. Nice work. :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Some may also like to look into this thread. Old and a lot must be changed, but the idea was cool.

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... rt=10#p648
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Bleda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bleda »

that's very nice, indeed. thanks for the link. however now with the liquid stuff involved, it would probably become bigger.

In my setup now I'm having problems to keep up with the raw material supply. It's really crazy how much iron and copper it needs to run at full speed. I guess generally I could have my setup smaller and make more use of higher lever assemblies and modules after some time.

do you think it's possible to have a minimalistic blue science setup where everything is fed directly without belts?

Bleda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bleda »

Hey guys.

Today I built another science design. This time it's a different approach that's not really useable for normal gameplay, but I must say I like the beauty of it.

There are two things I don't like, however. First, there are two gear assemblies, while I wanted to have just one shared between red, belts and inserters. Second, I didn't find an elegant way to share one circuit assembly for all three types of inserters and the advanced circuits. I did a dirty solution with some underground belts, which I especially dislike because the idea was to have no belts but the ones bringing in the raw materials. If anybody finds a solution to these problems, please share and help the minimalistic science factory to achieve perfect harmony. ;)
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2014-05-16 um 18.13.47.png
Bildschirmfoto 2014-05-16 um 18.13.47.png (657.36 KiB) Viewed 16094 times

solardarity
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by solardarity »

I'm pretty sure you could move those assemblers around so that one gear assembler feeds the needs for that entire factory, although I'm hard pressed to believe that it could keep up with production if you were doing constant research.

As for the circuits, it's either keep as it is or add another circuit factory in.

darvon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by darvon »

Bleda wrote:my perfectly squared little science factory.
I really like this design. Small, clean, minimal. Totally going to play around with this as a starting point.

Bleda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bleda »

solardarity wrote:I'm pretty sure you could move those assemblers around so that one gear assembler feeds the needs for that entire factory, although I'm hard pressed to believe that it could keep up with production if you were doing constant research.

As for the circuits, it's either keep as it is or add another circuit factory in.
You think so? the problem is, that the gear - belt - inserter - green assemblies must be in this squared arrangement, while both, red and green need access to the lab. I could move the red assembly over next to the gear factory to the right, but then it's far away from the lab. I don't think there's a way.

the problem about a second circuit assembly next to the inserter assembly is that inserters also need iron plates, so it needs access to the belt. three sides are already occupied, so the only possible space would be to the right, where the belt is running through.

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

that poor lonely lab ;)

Madlax
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Madlax »

I saw the post above and decided to try something similar with the minimal footprint challenge (without robotics). The result is much more chaotic because I cut out second gear AM and had to reroute the whole thing due to that. Also I replaced two wire AM1s with one AM2, which is quite sufficient enough. Because of the researched lvl.4 lab efficiency, I had to put 2 lvl.1 performance modules to blue pack AM as it became the bottleneck. Currently whole production is able to keep up with the research speed if enough raw materials are supplied. No additional belts were used except the main one and there are only 2 points (marked) of inderect interchanges between AMs.

Gas and coal lines are not active, I simply put sulfur and plastic to output slots to test the whole thing out and it worked.
Attachments
Science packs 1-4 with a footprint of 20x17 tiles
Science packs 1-4 with a footprint of 20x17 tiles
Footprint_20x17.jpg (382.57 KiB) Viewed 16052 times

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”