[0.15] 1120 MW Nuclear Design 2x4 reactor 44 tile shore

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
Vader
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.15] 1120 MW Nuclear Design 2x4 reactor 44 tile shore

Post by Vader »

Hi,
Made a cool design. Thought I would share it.

Energy output: 1120 MW
Reactors: 2x4
Size: 149x44 + pumps
Shoreline: 44 tile or less
Fuel cell delivery method: Belt or Bot (not prebuilt)
Maximum heat pipe length: 24 (Meaning the build works 100% even with the current heat pipe issues)
Orientation: Independent
Entity build order: Independent
Blueprint string design v2: https://pastebin.com/VBCUUhJU
Blueprint string design v3: https://pastebin.com/9b0upMwm

Edit: V3! I improved the design a little bit by pushing the turbines together making it easier to supply or tile the whole thing. No change is stats, just less width where the turbines are.

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... or_44tile/

Build:

Vader
Last edited by Vader on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jesus8000
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.15] 1120 MW Nuclear Design 2x4 reactor 44 tile shore

Post by Jesus8000 »

maybe a little bit smaller?^^^whats the 100% efficient with one reactor? how much boiler and how much steam turbines?

edit: there is no effictivity....:( u can use 2000 wind turbine one 1 reactor) if its only for the night it produces 700mw for short periot of time ez....
sorry, my english is not the yellow from the egg.... 4give me

RedDagger
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RedDagger »

I'm also fiddling with a 2x4 reactor setup. This is what I have come up so far:
preview
The problem is, I'm not really satisfied with it, even if I think the design has some potential. It is possible to chain it in the main axis or in the secondary axis, but I don't think it is possible to achieve max capacity without supplying water from both sides, nor am I certain the steam piping is sufficient.
blueprint

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Here's what I've come up with:
Since heatpipes can extend any length (as far as I'm aware), this pattern is repeatable as long as you've got room available. 40 MW per row of 10 turbines used, one pump needed per 2 rows. If there's insufficient power from the reactors, a chemical backup kicks in to preheat the steam, which generates the exact amount that the turbines consume when combined with the heat exchangers. I cycle the reactors on and off simultaneously (off by not inserting fuel if there's energy left in the buffer) so using more reactors then the plant really needs increases efficiency due to the neighbour bonus. In the screenshot that's visible - the reactors are unfueled and the red flag for the storage tank is up, meaning the storage tank has sufficient steam to not warrant activating the reactors. The larger heat pipes work in my favor in this regard since they seem to store an excessive amount of heat - much more then the steam tanks do. This still small plant can produce 240MW at full burn, but I'll expand it before then to not need to dip into the chemical backup. It'll do roughly 200MW purely on nuclear power. I've not yet bothered to flip this and put another row on the other side since getting water over there would be a hassle...

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Hey Aeternus, wouldn't it be possible to squeeze the entire layout down vertically?

I mean you have 2 tiles between the turbines every 2 rows. I think that it's entirely do-able with only 1 tile between the turbines.

I know the 2 tile gap probably is a result of the tanks at the end of the turbines... but they can surely be placed a little bit different.

Because I really find the pipe-braid between the boilers a truly ugly abomination of hell :D ... especially since a single pipe is capable of dealing with at least twice the steam output... they can take the Steam of at least 20 boilers if not more. The pipe braid makes only sense if you'd want to have 40 boilers and 40 Steam Turbines or so due to pipe pressure problems. :D (Which makes me think of something I have to try later...)

And if you have to use that pipe braid it would result in a much prettier design if you'd line the pipebraid up with the 2 tile gap of the steam turbines. You'd need 1 more line of solid fuel belts in that case, but I think that would be still prettier.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Not possible to squeeze it much tighter - the space between the turbines is mainly to allow those substations to be there and get the power those turbines are producing. There's no space for that at the other side of the turbines since that's where the heatpipe is. Most of that pipe braid is the various bypass/switching logics. There's 6 pumps per double row of turbines that control wether or not water is directly fed to the heatexchanger, or steam from the chemical boilers, or if steam from the chemical boiler goes directly to the turbines.
I was able to move the entire row 2 tiles horizontally though after eliminating a row of storage tanks between the chemical heater and heat exchanger which was messing up the switching speed between water and steam from the chemboilers - badly placed buffer since that thing fills with water and blocks the switch to chemical steam.

If you eliminate the double row between the 10 steam turbines, you run into flow capacity issues at the pump between the chemical boilers and the heat exchangers. A single pump cannot feed 4 heat exchangers, it will only handle 2, suggesting a max flow rate of 300/s for a pump, even with maximum pressure at the input. That double row is needed in this design.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Well you forced me to... :D
nuclear plant v2.jpg
nuclear plant v2.jpg (353.37 KiB) Viewed 12048 times
nuclear plant v2a.jpg
nuclear plant v2a.jpg (326.92 KiB) Viewed 12046 times
I didn't feel like setting up the required circuit network stuff for activating the right pumps at the switch because that would take more time... and obviously also not the reactor stuff. I didn't place enough exchangers to take 2 reactors I know, but it's about the generic frontend layout, so I didn't care about the reactor backend.

A single pump is actually capable of pumping 12000 units/sec (200 per tick) (if pipelength is 0, otherwise it follows a dropoff). It's been measured in various threads like that one: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19851

So the pump just laughs at the puny 1200 units/sec (20 per tick) from the Offshore pump. It could handle 10 Offshore pumps if it weren't for the pipes necessary to hook them all up to the pump which cause the pressure to fall off. A few pipes don't matter much though, but over greater distance it becomes noticeable. The pump has that ordinary flow rate because of the addition of the rail tankers... otherwise it would take 20 seconds to transfer the contents of a railtanker to a conncected storage tank, but if you look at it is maybe only 2-3 seconds.

I know that it is like that because I'm driving in my real plant setup actually 20 Boilers, 8 Exchangers and 20 Steam Turbines (basically double the length of above) with 1 Offshore pump and through the Pump-switch without any loss in pipe throughput (power plant outputs the calculated theoretical maximum power under full load, so no efficiency loss through the pipes/pumps). It can probably handle even more than that... which is why I'm considering to upgrade to 30 Boilers, 12 Exchangers and 30 Steam Turbines and 2 Offshore Pumps in each pair and see how that goes.

So no real need for pipe braiding or double pumps. I only have 2 pumps for each side because of the way I placed the heat exchangers.

I've posted a blueprint string of my real setup in this thread here because I've been asked for it: viewtopic.php?p=263966#p263966

My real setup hasn't changed much ever since I posted the string. If I had to redo it... I would probably adopt the design from the pictures above with placing the Nuclear Reactors behind the turbines because that was a clever idea of you to do it like that. :D

Return to “Energy Production”