Friday Facts #186 - Marathon testing

Regular reports on Factorio development.
IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #186 - Marathon testing

Post by IronCartographer »

Gully wrote:Can you release an experimental 0.15 version, for the impatient ones?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The release will be the Experimental, opt-in version when 0.15 is available to non-devs. Patience! ;)

McRib
Inserter
Inserter

Post by McRib »

posila wrote:
Xterminator wrote:Yeah, aren't we (the community) supposed to be the beta testers?
Interesting tests and marathon stuff I suppose. Unfortunately no amount of awesome Easter food can remedy this level of disappointment. :cry:
We are sorry :(
please? ;) *smile*

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mattj256 »

This might be quite a short Friday facts, but we are trying to spend as much time getting things ready for release.
I am eagerly awaiting the release. Also I recently started a SpaceX playthrough. Life is full of difficult decisions...

So much excitement, so much frustration. Not like I've been pressing refresh eagerly for the past month or two waiting for the release....

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

Why beg, its not gonna be a whole new game. I mean list the changes theyve done, and look whats in it for you.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

The only issue with this is the week-by-week wait. Not starting a new map because "it may be out next week", is a real pain in the neck. If you guys just gave yourselves month-chunks, as opposed to weak-chunks, then we in the community would find the wait far more acceptable. I mean, going from "End of Feb" to "End of March" was a far easier wait than this "maybe next week" thing you have going on.

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

Just give us a release date ... more we dont want!!!

Something like:
Release is at 18.04.2017 if nothing goes horrible wrong
And if something goes horrible wrong then change it to the new release date.

Its so easy ...
give it to us ...
give it to us ...
give it to us ...
give it to us ...

Khaim
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Khaim »

I am still impressed by your testing infrastructure. I get the feeling that most AAA devs don't even have real tests like you guys do.

If you want to be really impressive, change the commit workflow to run the tests first and only allow the change if they all pass.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

Khaim wrote:I am still impressed by your testing infrastructure. I get the feeling that most AAA devs don't even have real tests like you guys do.

If you want to be really impressive, change the commit workflow to run the tests first and only allow the change if they all pass.
Impress the clueless.. what a worthwhile goal for everyone to achieve. First step : adhere to their proposals. :D

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

WOOT .... 0.15 released Next Friday!!!!

(At least that's how I read this)

And next Friday never expires ............... :ugeek:

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

Marconos wrote:WOOT .... 0.15 released Next Friday!!!!

(At least that's how I read this)
FFF #183 wrote:When we are ready to make a release, it will be either on a Monday or a Tuesday, to give ourselves some long working days to bugfix while the reports are fresh. This means we will probably know the Friday beforehand that everything is ready, in which case we will let everyone know in the FFF. To clarify: If you don't hear us mention releasing 0.15, you can rest easy for another week that we aren't going to surprise you.
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-183
Last edited by IronCartographer on Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrGrim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrGrim »

Holy cow, I know it's exciting and 0.15 is going to be a massive release with an epic number of badass features and changes. I've been avoiding even playing Factorio since the start of the new year in anticipation, and words can't express how much I'm itching to fire up a brand new 0.15 map. In the meantime I've built half the mega Minecraft farms on Youtube and designed a few of my own, completed multiple Civilization 6 campaigns, and played countless other games. I have 8 months worth of updates to Terratech to check out, and I haven't even played the new Doom yet (c'mon EVGA, ship my new 1080 Ti FTW3 already!).

Go play, have fun, there's more gaming to be had out there than you have years in your life to live. 0.15 will get here, and there's no need to be so demanding, no need to amp up the pressure of a dev team already in the throes of crunch time, and no need be nasty. I'm sad it won't be here next week, but that's OK. 0.12 and 0.13 had fantastic releases thanks to this teams dedication to quality (I started right after the steam release of 0.12 so can't comment on earlier ones), and 0.15 is looking to dwarf both of them combined in its scope. It will be worth the wait, and thanks to their efforts you'll be able to hit the ground running.

illyst
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by illyst »

Guys, i really love your game and reading the friday facts is something like a ritual for me, since 2 years. I like it to read the weekly work progress and im impatient for the next release, but there is one thing i really hate,
your weekly cliffhanger when its ready! Youre all doing a great job and im sure i will like the patch, but please dont make a Duke Nukem story of the release. Its ok if you miss your release date, and its ok if you miss the date over month, but please tell a realistic date for "its done when its done".

Its frustating to wait on friday joyfull for your Facts and all information you get is something like theres a light at the end from the tunnel, or it would be moren on mon- or tuesday - but we dont tell in which week... ;)
You can tell this one or two times, thats ok, but everyone would hate it if this becomes a neverending story.

commandoby
Inserter
Inserter

Post by commandoby »

V453000 wrote:Just bear with us for a very short while please, we are doing literally everything we can to make it happen as soon as possible.
I'm not going to cry about how much time we spend, how much effort we put, how close it can get to taxing on both mental and physical health and whatever. We took a big bit of a release to chew this time on, but when you get it, I believe you will trust me that the wait was worth it.
We can already see the light at the end of the LONG tunnel, and the light is very bright. : )
Thank you
V
Огромное спасибо за проделанную работу. Лично я вас торопить точно не стану, хот я и слега огорчён постоянными задержками. Раз надо тестировать - так тестируйте сколько нужно.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

commandoby wrote:
V453000 wrote:Just bear with us for a very short while please, we are doing literally everything we can to make it happen as soon as possible.
I'm not going to cry about how much time we spend, how much effort we put, how close it can get to taxing on both mental and physical health and whatever. We took a big bit of a release to chew this time on, but when you get it, I believe you will trust me that the wait was worth it.
We can already see the light at the end of the LONG tunnel, and the light is very bright. : )
Thank you
V
Огромное спасибо за проделанную работу. Лично я вас торопить точно не стану, хот я и слега огорчён постоянными задержками. Раз надо тестировать - так тестируйте сколько нужно.
Please respect that the forum language is English.

ealrann
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ealrann »

Nah, don't give release date. It's definitely a bad idea (too stressful for a dev team, source of bad coding and more).

However, a good practice is too make frequent builds (I think to Agile Manifesto). So, why don't you give us some kind of Steam Beta Code in the forum, with a big warning : "These builds will crash or corrupt your save". So we could access some staging builds and satisfy our thirst :) We definitely want to be yours beta/alpha testers :D, it's ok if the game crash or if you corrupt our save (we would have been warned).

Vinnie_NL
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Vinnie_NL »

I had a fun dream this night. I was at some place with other people, suddenly a video starts playing on a big tv, showing the text THE WAIT IS OVER. Then a big red button is shown and images of Factorio factories and the new features were flowing together into other images (I can't explain better but it looked really cool in my dream). Then a big rocket ready for launch in the middle of a massive factory was shown (in a nice 3d animation), the engines ignited and the screen faded to black with the final text "0.15". Then the place turned into a Factorio 0.15 launch party and everyone was having fun. I remember thinking should I go home to play 0.15? Nah I just want to party for now.

I'm looking forward to the release of course, but I'm patiently waiting for the day, and I realize it's just an update to an already great game and it's not 1.0 yet. But apparently the subconscious parts in my brain are really busy with it :lol: Thanks for your dedication devs, no release now but after reading the FFF I'm still sure that 0.15 will be released at the best moment, instead of too soon with gamebreaking bugs.
Last edited by Vinnie_NL on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

I am sad and sometimes disgusted to read such things from the community, so angry people.

This is a gigantic pressure you put into the devs guys. More you expect, more you might be desapointed. Their is nothing else than hate on this path. And that's how you destroy the sanity of a dozen of people working very hard everydays on a 5 years life project. Sounds like Yoda talking? Well, whis is how you destroy a passion or a life:

This is how games gets abandonned in their still-in-development.

0.14 could be 1.0, you all know it. Everything else is a gift. Don't expect a gift.

The team are humans, as the community.
Please respect each other :(
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

ealrann wrote:Nah, don't give release date. It's definitely a bad idea (too stressful for a dev team, source of bad coding and more).

However, a good practice is too make frequent builds (I think to Agile Manifesto). So, why don't you give us some kind of Steam Beta Code in the forum, with a big warning : "These builds will crash or corrupt your save". So we could access some staging builds and satisfy our thirst :) We definitely want to be yours beta/alpha testers :D, it's ok if the game crash or if you corrupt our save (we would have been warned).

There were a terrible bug when they released 0.13.1 or something that when you place concrete and remove it, it creates water. Lot of people played their saves and destroyed their factories because of it. Yep, now we can remove water, but it was about a year later (they fixed a bug in a day, but the water remains, you had to dl a mod to fix it). Yep, the warning was there, but still 1) people got angry, and 2) well you don't really want to play with a so broken feature.

I definitely believe they learnt from this day, we never had a massive break-gaming bug since this day.
Last edited by Ohz on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

The Eriksonn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Eriksonn »

it was also something in 0.12 about not being able to rename train stops, but that was very minor and got fixed the next day. :roll:

i think it was 0.12... :?

ili
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ili »

Ohz wrote: There were a terrible bug when they released 0.13.1 or something that when you place concrete and remove it, it creates water. Lot of people played their saves and destroyed their factories because of it. Yep, now we can remove water, but it was about a year later (they fixed a bug in a day, but the water remains, you had to dl a mod to fix it). Yep, the warning was there, but still 1) people got angry, and 2) well you don't really want to play with a so broken feature.

I definitely believe they learnt from this day, we never had a massive break-gaming bug since this day.
The Eriksonn wrote:it was also something in 0.12 about not being able to rename train stops, but that was very minor and got fixed the next day. :roll:

i think it was 0.12... :?
So what?
It's an Experimental release.
As long as my PC doesn't catch on fire I'm fine with that.
There are games that doesn't even let you load your General build saves on the Experimental build or the Experimental build have a password that you get from the website page that tell you that you can use this at your own risk

Return to “News”