Performance optimization - post your saves

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Semaphor
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Performance optimization - post your saves

Post by Semaphor »

A big FPS slowdown I've seen can be reproduced without mods or a save:

1. Have a large parcel of land that is paved. I mean HUGE.
2. Grab a blueprint of that massive area of paved land so you get a blueprint of nothing but paved area.
3. have the blueprint in hand so you get a "ghosted" copy of the pavement.
4. Alpha blending/rendering drops my FPS to it's knees.

Specs: i7 3.2Ghz, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M 1.5GB at 1920x1080, max window (not fullscreen).

This might be a limitation of my hardware. I also see this when creating a huge blueprint of some factory set up. The blueprint ghosting kills performance.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Semaphor wrote:A big FPS slowdown I've seen can be reproduced without mods or a save:

1. Have a large parcel of land that is paved. I mean HUGE.
2. Grab a blueprint of that massive area of paved land so you get a blueprint of nothing but paved area.
3. have the blueprint in hand so you get a "ghosted" copy of the pavement.
4. Alpha blending/rendering drops my FPS to it's knees.

Specs: i7 3.2Ghz, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M 1.5GB at 1920x1080, max window (not fullscreen).

This might be a limitation of my hardware. I also see this when creating a huge blueprint of some factory set up. The blueprint ghosting kills performance.
That's just your hardware. I get some small slowdown with large blueprints but nothing like what you describe.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

Bit disappointed loop train networks are not being looked at. Or are they not really causing that much lag after all?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Avezo wrote:Bit disappointed loop train networks are not being looked at. Or are they not really causing that much lag after all?
They never have. I have no idea where anyone got that idea from.

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

Rseding91 wrote:
Avezo wrote:Bit disappointed loop train networks are not being looked at. Or are they not really causing that much lag after all?
They never have. I have no idea where anyone got that idea from.
I've heard about that from some youtube factorio series (only Xterminator's videos come to my mind atm, but I recall there were others). Apparently it only shows in really big rail networks though.

DeathMers
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DeathMers »

Rseding9# are u here? I have a question. Recently i've been playing and I decide to expand factory to make things go little bit 'faster'. I had a single -semidouble line main factory with apx drain of 700-850 MW. Then i built 4 belt main bus for green/red circuits, copp. wires, wheels and solar panels. Factory started to drain over 1GW power, i had around 2000 steam engines as main power source and few thousands solar panels and accumulators. The main power source started to be more damanding, and my single line rocket fuel supply was not enough, so i decide to expand main power source in solar panels and accumulators and leave steam as failsafe. It was that time i first encounteted fps ups drops. I was on stable 60 and it drppped down around 45 ups (and fps too). Strange thing is, it happened after massive solar panels and accumulators expand (around 1GW factory drain). Then i had to expand more, now i have apx. 4GW factory drain, 3x solar panels (apx. 30k), 3x accumulators (apx. 20k - ish), 5x robots (apx. 20k), but that fps ups drop is still stable and same like when i had 1GW factory drain, around 40. It doesn't change much. The main thing that i changed was solar panels and accumulators expand and ofcourse beacons, cause all my factories, drills, oil pumps has full 3 tier speed modules and few beacons with same mods near by. Is this that mentioned bottleneck, death by thousands cuts, like u mentioned in fff? Are big amounts of solar panels and accumulators and beacons optimized enough? I could post save if u want, it has 50mb.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

DeathMers wrote:Rseding9# are u here? I have a question. Recently i've been playing and I decide to expand factory to make things go little bit 'faster'. I had a single -semidouble line main factory with apx drain of 700-850 MW. Then i built 4 belt main bus for green/red circuits, copp. wires, wheels and solar panels. Factory started to drain over 1GW power, i had around 2000 steam engines as main power source and few thousands solar panels and accumulators. The main power source started to be more damanding, and my single line rocket fuel supply was not enough, so i decide to expand main power source in solar panels and accumulators and leave steam as failsafe. It was that time i first encounteted fps ups drops. I was on stable 60 and it drppped down around 45 ups (and fps too). Strange thing is, it happened after massive solar panels and accumulators expand (around 1GW factory drain). Then i had to expand more, now i have apx. 4GW factory drain, 3x solar panels (apx. 30k), 3x accumulators (apx. 20k - ish), 5x robots (apx. 20k), but that fps ups drop is still stable and same like when i had 1GW factory drain, around 40. It doesn't change much. The main thing that i changed was solar panels and accumulators expand and ofcourse beacons, cause all my factories, drills, oil pumps has full 3 tier speed modules and few beacons with same mods near by. Is this that mentioned bottleneck, death by thousands cuts, like u mentioned in fff? Are big amounts of solar panels and accumulators and beacons optimized enough? I could post save if u want, it has 50mb.
Solar panels and accumulators have a constant cost so having 1 of each is the same as having 100,000 of each. What you're seeing is you simply quadrupled the size of your factory and now it has to do 4x the work as before.

If you want to post your save feel free. I'll take a look at it and see what I find.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Rseding91 wrote:
DeathMers wrote:Rseding9# are u here? I have a question. Recently i've been playing and I decide to expand factory to make things go little bit 'faster'. I had a single -semidouble line main factory with apx drain of 700-850 MW. Then i built 4 belt main bus for green/red circuits, copp. wires, wheels and solar panels. Factory started to drain over 1GW power, i had around 2000 steam engines as main power source and few thousands solar panels and accumulators. The main power source started to be more damanding, and my single line rocket fuel supply was not enough, so i decide to expand main power source in solar panels and accumulators and leave steam as failsafe. It was that time i first encounteted fps ups drops. I was on stable 60 and it drppped down around 45 ups (and fps too). Strange thing is, it happened after massive solar panels and accumulators expand (around 1GW factory drain). Then i had to expand more, now i have apx. 4GW factory drain, 3x solar panels (apx. 30k), 3x accumulators (apx. 20k - ish), 5x robots (apx. 20k), but that fps ups drop is still stable and same like when i had 1GW factory drain, around 40. It doesn't change much. The main thing that i changed was solar panels and accumulators expand and ofcourse beacons, cause all my factories, drills, oil pumps has full 3 tier speed modules and few beacons with same mods near by. Is this that mentioned bottleneck, death by thousands cuts, like u mentioned in fff? Are big amounts of solar panels and accumulators and beacons optimized enough? I could post save if u want, it has 50mb.
Solar panels and accumulators have a constant cost so having 1 of each is the same as having 100,000 of each. What you're seeing is you simply quadrupled the size of your factory and now it has to do 4x the work as before.

If you want to post your save feel free. I'll take a look at it and see what I find.
If I were to bet on the culprit, my bet would be that it's the 5x bots that are the reason for the UPS drop.

DeathMers
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DeathMers »

well thats it, i exend my factory 4 times, but fps/ups drop started at 1GW demanding factory and stayed pretty much the same whole time, even when in extended factory more 2-3-4GW consumption, fps/ups didnt change much.

Bots? i dont think bots are to blame, at least not alone, even in 3GW factory i had around 3-4K bots, but recently i have started to use pink chests to drain some small ore patches, so i built another 10k logistic bots and 2k construction bots, didnt affect fps/ups at all. Only thing that significnatly affects fps/ups drop is when i F4 menu and visualise bot routes near yellow boxes.

save link, hope it works:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/495 ... gistic.zip

Gnorok
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gnorok »

The attached save file is running at 50 (fps/ups) on my PC (i7 3770@3,5 Ghz, GTX670).
I´m still building my support factory and havn´t even started on rocket parts production. So i´m a little bit scared what happens then ;-)

Any suggestions what is eating the processor ressources and how I can optimize would be very appreaciated.
Attachments
152.zip
(93.25 MiB) Downloaded 189 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Zoukon Valdar wrote:... and my files cant be shared that easy....
Yes they can, don't be dramatic.
Zoukon Valdar wrote:if u want to find out what i am dooing you have to come to me... i can not hold up communication on this system much longer!

Send Help!

Youtube: Zoukon Valdar, The Last Known Highlander

rated: MATURE
That's just "a slathering of belts" - I already know what's going to be slow about it. So, no thanks.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

This save has a very noticable hickup every 1 or 2 seconds. It's very likely completely related to Robot Army, but perhaps it'll show an optimization chance in the mod api :)

save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e17ev1ijvnt67 ... y.zip?dl=0
mods: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vwkfa4876a73q5x/mods.zip?dl=0
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Boogieman14 wrote:This save has a very noticable hickup every 1 or 2 seconds. It's very likely completely related to Robot Army, but perhaps it'll show an optimization chance in the mod api :)

save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e17ev1ijvnt67 ... y.zip?dl=0
mods: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vwkfa4876a73q5x/mods.zip?dl=0
Yeah it's robot army. I don't know how the mod author managed it considering you *don't have a single unit built* that it takes 5 MS/tick idle. I recommend just not using that mod.

Killerbee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Killerbee »

Found this nice 3 rockets per minute factory on Reddit.
Maybe it can be used to optimize the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... y/dbjvrke/

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Killerbee wrote:Found this nice 3 rockets per minute factory on Reddit.

That again is just "a slathering of belts". I already know what will be slow about that.

DeathMers
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DeathMers »

Rseding91 wrote:

That again is just "a slathering of belts". I already know what will be slow about that.
Just out of curiosity... there is a known problem, bottleneck of fps/ups slowdown - too many droids, belts... Is there any solution for this problem? Like update more optimized version 0.14.xx? And I dont speak about v0.15, cause v0.15 should be generaly less demanding, but this problem will show up sooner or later even in v0.15 .

Losash
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Losash »

DeathMers wrote:Like update more optimized version 0.14.xx? And I dont speak about v0.15, cause v0.15 should be generaly less demanding, but this problem will show up sooner or later even in v0.15 .
If I'd be a developer I'd definitly get a strong will to hit that guy...

You know, when someone new comes and tries to point out, that dev's "don't know how to program". But they don't yet know, that "knowing a bottleneck exists" does not equal to "easily solving it".

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

DeathMers wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:

Just out of curiosity... there is a known problem, bottleneck of fps/ups slowdown - too many droids, belts... Is there any solution for this problem? Like update more optimized version 0.14.xx? And I dont speak about v0.15, cause v0.15 should be generaly less demanding, but this problem will show up sooner or later even in v0.15 .
There is no real solution to how many things you can build because you can always place more stuff. Dont expect an optimized version of 0.14 since all the devs are working on 0.15.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

DeathMers wrote:Just out of curiosity... there is a known problem, bottleneck of fps/ups slowdown - too many droids, belts... Is there any solution for this problem? Like update more optimized version 0.14.xx? And I dont speak about v0.15, cause v0.15 should be generaly less demanding, but this problem will show up sooner or later even in v0.15 .
Nope, there will always be an upper limit to how much can be built before the game slows down because there's an upper limit to how much information a given CPU/motherboard/set of RAM can process per CPU cycle.

We can (and do) make some small improvements but there's always an upper limit and there's nothing we can do about that.

DeathMers
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DeathMers »

Losash wrote:
DeathMers wrote:Like update more optimized version 0.14.xx? And I dont speak about v0.15, cause v0.15 should be generaly less demanding, but this problem will show up sooner or later even in v0.15 .
If I'd be a developer I'd definitly get a strong will to hit that guy...

You know, when someone new comes and tries to point out, that dev's "don't know how to program". But they don't yet know, that "knowing a bottleneck exists" does not equal to "easily solving it".
Well... Sad story bro... But if you would be a developer, you would actually find a difference between what I wrote and what you subjectively presumed. Never tried to point out dev's dont know how to program, or it is easy to solve this problem because it is known problem... Never wrote it, lrn2read JFC. I know shit about programming, im not a programmer, so i just kindly askes simple specified question in a proper thread. And yes, i know there is no construction limit in game, so there always be a HW limitation. My question was about the possibility of solution, optimalization, and Rseding has already answered. Thx.

Return to “General discussion”