pY Coal Processing - Discussion

pyanodon's mods are here

Moderator: pyanodon

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.x] pY Coal Processing

Post by pyanodon »

aklesey1 wrote:I want to say that I suffer from excess hydrogen production - when ii want to get chlorine from water of when i want to get oxygen from same water - I am forced to vent hydrogen
Your hydrogen problem will be solved with this mod. :)
pY Coal processing mod
Discord: Pyanodon #5791

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Greetings fellow builders,

I did some improvements in the mod. New icons, adjusting fluid colors, added more ingredients etc following that chart. You can take a look in the screen shot here in this link.

Today i finished the Rectisol building (below), one of the key buildings in this mod, able to produce refined syngas which burn better and pollute less than traditional syngas. This building uses methanol whose reactor combines syngas with other elements to produce it. Im modeling the methanol reactor now.

Image <- Its accelerated, maybe because the modules XD

Thanks for all suggestions and feedback until now.
pY Coal processing mod

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Wow, how many pipe connectors are on that thing? IMO it would be better to have just a few, and then let the player deal with splitting/combining pipes external to the building.

I love the animation of the spinning barrel things, and the blue canisters getting moved on to the small conveyor thing.

Are those blue canisters consumed by the recipe, or produced by it? They look like they are being consumed.

I find the "pY" logo too distracting on the building - maybe move it to that white tank at the bottom left and make it look like it's printed on to the tank (like the stuff on the rotating barrel things looks printed on) and make it weathered (dirtier)?
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

aubergine18 wrote:Wow, how many pipe connectors are on that thing? IMO it would be better to have just a few, and then let the player deal with splitting/combining pipes external to the building.

I love the animation of the spinning barrel things, and the blue canisters getting moved on to the small conveyor thing.

Are those blue canisters consumed by the recipe, or produced by it? They look like they are being consumed.

I find the "pY" logo too distracting on the building - maybe move it to that white tank at the bottom left and make it look like it's printed on to the tank (like the stuff on the rotating barrel things looks printed on) and make it weathered (dirtier)?
There´s a lot of pipes, yes :D This building have 2 intakes and 4 outtakes, to allow it have the connections rotated, i needed to put 7 of them. The blue canisters are filled with methanol (which im modeling yet), but they are just visual, the methanol will come by pipes. The idea is the canisters being inserted, used and filled again by the incoming methanol to be lifted again and again in that cycle to keep feeding the main structure with precious methanol.

The logo position is a nice suggestion, i may take it. I will try to put it in the tank to see how it will looks like, thanks.
pY Coal processing mod

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

The blue canisters are filled with methanol (which im modeling yet), but they are just visual, the methanol will come by pipes.
This feels confusing to me. Why would you receive methanol by pipe, put it in to a tank (storage buffer) and then go to all the trouble of putting it in to blue canisters? Why not just pump direct from the white tank to the processing part of the building? It looks nice, but it's conceptually confusing.

Maybe canisters could provide an alternate method of methanol transit. In which case maybe a separate building that puts piped methanol in to canisters, and then inserters or logistic robots can move the canisters (eg. put on train)? So you could keep the canister concept, just in a separate building.

Other graphics suggestions:

* Why is there a square concrete under the white tank? Would it look better with round concrete slab or no slab at all?

* The main processing part of the building feels too symmetrical to me. Would it look better with one chimney?

* The small walls (whitish concrete humps at left and bottom left) look strange. The big wall at the back looks even stranger - it's not in keeping with rest of game. Why would the factorian build a huge wall at the back of the building? (I assume it's to make the pipe connections look less weird, but that brings me back to question as to why there is so many of them).

* The round part of the processing building (that the rotating barrels are attached to) feels too "clean and friendly" for factorio design style. Would something more grungy and industrial suit the game design better? Also, it's roof looks like it might open, which I imagine is not intended?
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

With regards to overall style of graphics in the mod, I think your screenshot illustrates that they don't tie in with the vanilla graphics - everything looks too clean. Compare your buildings with the steam engines for example.

BTW: Love your oil and gas type icons, they are superb! If you could bring similar clarity to the chemical icons, or replace with your oil/gas style icons, that would be awesome. Maybe even a small separate mod replacing vanilla fluid icons with your oil/gas style icons?

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

aubergine18 wrote:With regards to overall style of graphics in the mod, I think your screenshot illustrates that they don't tie in with the vanilla graphics - everything looks too clean. Compare your buildings with the steam engines for example.

BTW: Love your oil and gas type icons, they are superb! If you could bring similar clarity to the chemical icons, or replace with your oil/gas style icons, that would be awesome. Maybe even a small separate mod replacing vanilla fluid icons with your oil/gas style icons?
Kinda late to change my mod graphic style. Is what i can provide now and modeling everything again to change everything would take a time i dont have to spend in something im doing for fun with nothing in return hehe. My mod have his own graphic style like other mods have their own. If you look at any building from angels or youkis, you will know from what mod they come from. And since i have plans to a future mod which will push things into more futurisc setup, they was made to be compatible with that visual.

Some of my graphic decisions, was made because the restrictions of factorio (like pipe connections in specific places and square buildings rule etc...).

The only thing i can do from your suggestions is the canister thing.
pY Coal processing mod

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

pyanodon wrote: I barely code something, im more a graphic guy, all i learned was digging out other codes, asking for help and such. Im pretty new to that so i dunno if i can do a config option anytime soon. If someone wanna help me in that coding part, im thankful. But for now, im working to bring all the features i promised in the previous pages for tier 2.

Here you go, Config options for the pole/rail recipes
Drop these files in and remove the pole and rail recipes from your prototypes.recipes.recipes.lua
Attachments
pycoalprocessing_config.zip
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Nexela wrote:
pyanodon wrote: I barely code something, im more a graphic guy, all i learned was digging out other codes, asking for help and such. Im pretty new to that so i dunno if i can do a config option anytime soon. If someone wanna help me in that coding part, im thankful. But for now, im working to bring all the features i promised in the previous pages for tier 2.

Here you go, Config options for the pole/rail recipes
Drop these files in and remove the pole and rail recipes from your prototypes.recipes.recipes.lua

OH thank you!!!! I will sure put that in the next release! Thanks for your help my friend. I will give you all credits for that. :shock:

I fixed a small typo in the recipes_updates.lua where you misplaced an "a" instead of "o" in "creosote". You put "creosate" :D
pY Coal processing mod

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Doh!! I must of fatfingered the keyboard packaging it up cause it worked during my tests :)
Actually I messed up a bit on the rail, forgot to change the variable name. and forgot a )

replace the contents of recipe_updates.lua with:

Code: Select all

--Since we only want to change "some" things about an existing item lets do it in the data_updates phase with an exact copy.

if USECREOSOTE_POLE then -- flag from config.lua
  local newpole=table.deepcopy(data.raw.recipe["medium-electric-pole"])
  newpole.category = "crafting-with-fluid"
  newpole.ingredients[#newpole.ingredients +1] = { --Get the current number of ingredients and add one too it (just another form of table.insert)
    type="fluid", name="creosote", amount=10
  }
  data:extend({newpole}) --insert our replacement pole
end

if USECREOSOTE_RAIL then
  local newrail=table.deepcopy(data.raw.recipe["rail"])
  newrail.category = "crafting-with-fluid"
  table.insert(newrail.ingredients, {type="fluid", name="creosote", amount=10})
  data:extend({newrail})
end
I Started playing around with this some tonight in a test environment and it will probably get added into my angels/bobs play-through

Some of the observations I have made so far with 0.1.2
Turbine is way too power full and even being nerfed too 1/3 will still be too powerful for red science
also the rail/pole changes hence the config

Also if you need any coding help on anything just ask here or shoot me a pm

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Nexela wrote:
I Started playing around with this some tonight in a test environment and it will probably get added into my angels/bobs play-through

Some of the observations I have made so far with 0.1.2
Turbine is way too power full and even being nerfed too 1/3 will still be too powerful for red science
also the rail/pole changes hence the config

Also if you need any coding help on anything just ask here or shoot me a pm
Thank you my friend! Is always nice to count with someone in case of need. I modified the file here and it will be present in the next release. About the turbine, it´s producing 2Mw right? I will cut it in a half. Thank you!
pY Coal processing mod

Mezmerro
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mezmerro »

I personally have few issues with this mod:
1) There is no ways of dumping creosote/tar you don't need (save wasting it in steam engine or a flare stack) or creating creosote it in bulk when you do need it.
2) Pipe attach points do not correlate with factory sprites
3) Graphics are too "clean" and "sharp" compared to vanilla factorio, and are generally too big for my taste.
4) Speaking about big, factories are also quite slow for such a big entities.
5) All recipes don't support productivity modules (although it's easily fixable with "Enable Productivity Modules" mod)

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Mezmerro wrote:I personally have few issues with this mod:
1) There is no ways of dumping creosote/tar you don't need (save wasting it in steam engine or a flare stack) or creating creosote it in bulk when you do need it.
2) Pipe attach points do not correlate with factory sprites
3) Graphics are too "clean" and "sharp" compared to vanilla factorio, and are generally too big for my taste.
4) Speaking about big, factories are also quite slow for such a big entities.
5) All recipes don't support productivity modules (although it's easily fixable with "Enable Productivity Modules" mod)

Oh hi! Thanks for your feedback.

1 - This is a working in progress mod, if you dont want tar or creosote, you can dump them in steam engines or other´s mods solutions. With new researches i will provide ways to deal with creosote and tar as well other fluids/gases i may add.
2 - And will wont be anytime soon, im still studying why the pipe cover pictures dont correlate with the pipe connections, but until now, no success. But basically all of them should connects in the concrete base or pipes on top as planned.
3 - Is what i can do for now, the whole mod will follow that graphic style. The graphics will be big, factories are big by nature, there´s no place for small factories in that mod :)
4 - It´s red science tier, they cant be very productive and also, deal with coal is very consuming to result in small quantities of a precious resource, is what happens when we refine stuff. Of course balancing releases will happen, for now, im focused in bring what i planned and make it all working.
5 - Yes, that is on my to-do list to allow these modules.
pY Coal processing mod

Mezmerro
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mezmerro »

pyanodon wrote:3 - Is what i can do for now, the whole mod will follow that graphic style.
I don't think making the graphic a bit darker, dirtier, and with slightly distorted edges to fit vanilla factorio style would be too hard for you - those could be made with a few simple filters.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Mezmerro wrote:
pyanodon wrote:3 - Is what i can do for now, the whole mod will follow that graphic style.
I don't think making the graphic a bit darker, dirtier, and with slightly distorted edges to fit vanilla factorio style would be too hard for you - those could be made with a few simple filters.
Well if these were factorio vanilla assets I would be inclined to agree with you. Except for the simple filters part, nothing is simple :) Besides the author has said
The goal in this mod is use actual knowledge of coal processing and a bit of scifi to generate energy from coal with very low emissions in late game
So basing off of that if the graphics give off a slight sci-fi feel all the more power (besides maybe he programed his robots as window washers).

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Mezmerro wrote:
I will try add some noise and dirt in the next buildings im modeling. If i get some success, i will try to re-texture some of them in the future. But what i cant deny is that mod will bring buildings more clean as the technology advances. Was my idea in the beginning. THanks for your opinion. ;)
pY Coal processing mod

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Nexela wrote:So basing off of that if the graphics give off a slight sci-fi feel all the more power (besides maybe he programed his robots as window washers).
hahahahahaah not windows washers YET! but dont give me ideas!

But you got it, im trying with my graphics to pass the idea of a "dirty"/makeshift sci-fi, but not all rusted, cyberpunk or post-apocalyptic setup. Im aware of the vanilla graphic style (which i love), my mod wasnt made with the idea of mix with the vanilla style in mind, was made with the same idea of other´s mods, have his own graphic identity between the buildings.
pY Coal processing mod

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Petrochem mod is now officially on mod portal and i think u need to change your mod if your mod will have dependecy to Petrochem mod - there some important changes with coal
And sugestion to u - can add compatibility to Bio Industries mod - this mod using his type of coke and charcoal - may this products of ifferent coal processing can be unified - or may be they can be converted by some way - to your mod and back to Bio Industries mod, yes i know its sounds strange :D
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

aklesey1 wrote:Petrochem mod is now officially on mod portal and i think u need to change your mod if your mod will have dependecy to Petrochem mod - there some important changes with coal
And sugestion to u - can add compatibility to Bio Industries mod - this mod using his type of coke and charcoal - may this products of ifferent coal processing can be unified - or may be they can be converted by some way - to your mod and back to Bio Industries mod, yes i know its sounds strange :D

But.. my mod have no dependency or compatibility with angel's petrochem. The only dependency is bob's plates. My mod also dont produce charcoal. Maybe in the future i make it compatible with bioindustries, but first i need to make my mod complete. :)
pY Coal processing mod

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Ok as u want, but your mod will contain elements from petrochem:
1) Methanol,
2) Acid gas
3) Aalso u have your version of your syn gas with another texture, petrochem mod also have syn gas
4) Petrochem mod also have some elements of coal processing, with geting sulfur
I think the depenndncy to petrochem will be one of important goals in development of your mod

I like when all mods are maximally compatible with each other so one mod each mod can complement the other mod in different parts :D

Waiting for new version of your mod
Last edited by aklesey1 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

Return to “PyMods”