[0.13] Get train content as signal from train stop

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.13] Get train content as signal from train stop

Post by provet »

While holding over a train you can see its cargo content.

I assumed (wrongly) that the train station can output cargo content to the circuit network. I'd like this very much, so my inserters can decide if it's a good idea to empty my trains or not in my wip omni-ore offload station

Last edited by ssilk on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed title (not station, but train stop)

Jarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Get train content as signal from train station

Post by Jarin »

Agreed. As it stands, it's still frustratingly difficult to properly load a maintenance-restocking train. A separate inserter for each item, and carefully-set slot filtering on the cargo car.

BillH
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BillH »

MindChanger and XKnight (along with others in this thread have come up with a smart loader for trains. I'm using XKnight's design in my factory to load my engineering train (one on each side to provide 20 different items).

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Moved from General to suggestions
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by provet »

alternatively filter inserters with filters as a variable. (If x = y then filter z) etc..

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Having Stations report a trains inventory to circuit network would open a lot of possibilities for smarter train loading.

The inventory should include fuel slots as well. It's rather easy to subtract it from normal cargo in case of a train carrying fuel and would allow for on demand requester chests to fuel engines without having 1-3 stacks of coal sitting in the requester chest in case a train needs fuel.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

That's still not a thing with 0.13?

I admit I haven't touched my train system with circuit network yet since I updated from 0.12, but I thought that it was a thing now...

If not then it should be one of the top priorities for one of the next circuit network expansions.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.13] Get train content as signal from train stop

Post by ssilk »

MeduSalem wrote:If not then it should be one of the top priorities for one of the next circuit network expansions.
Same opinion. If I have to choose, which device should be added circuit network next, then the train stop/train-content etc.

Fixed title according to that. Hope Twinsen sees it. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MindChanger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MindChanger »

Optera wrote:Having Stations report a trains inventory to circuit network would open a lot of possibilities for smarter train loading.

This one could be pretty hard to do anyway. I mean you would have problems with loading the train anyway (as you don't know how many free slots wagon have).
Also if it is connected to the train then all wagons would count in. It would be problematic to create system that works for any number of wagons properly for custom player's setups.

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DevilXD »

MindChanger wrote:This one could be pretty hard to do anyway. I mean you would have problems with loading the train anyway (as you don't know how many free slots wagon have).
Also if it is connected to the train then all wagons would count in. It would be problematic to create system that works for any number of wagons properly for custom player's setups.
But it's already done - when you hover over the locomotive, you can see cargo wagon content pretty clearly. The devs only need to add this as an option to the train station.

MindChanger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MindChanger »

DevilXD wrote:
MindChanger wrote:This one could be pretty hard to do anyway. I mean you would have problems with loading the train anyway (as you don't know how many free slots wagon have).
But it's already done - when you hover over the locomotive, you can see cargo wagon content pretty clearly. The devs only need to add this as an option to the train station.
I talked about getting info into circuit network

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DevilXD »

MindChanger wrote:I talked about getting info into circuit network
You said that getting the cargo wagon content into circuit network would be hard. I showed you that the cargo wagon content is already available, only the train stop can't read those values :)

MindChanger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MindChanger »

DevilXD wrote:
MindChanger wrote:I talked about getting info into circuit network
You said that getting the cargo wagon content into circuit network would be hard. I showed you that the cargo wagon content is already available, only the train stop can't read those values :)
But how can I get this data into circuit network fo example to let know inserter to stop inserting special item type? Maybe I don't know something

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DevilXD »

MindChanger wrote:But how can I get this data into circuit network fo example to let know inserter to stop inserting special item type? Maybe I don't know something
I said that earlier:
DevilXD wrote:The devs only need to add this as an option to the train station.
You connect the train station with a red or green wire and set it to 'Get train content' instead of 'Send to train' :)

MindChanger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MindChanger »

DevilXD wrote: You connect the train station with a red or green wire and set it to 'Get train content' instead of 'Send to train' :)
But I was asking about single wagon. Your way will get contents from all wagons, which is not what I asked for :)

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DevilXD »

MindChanger wrote:But I was asking about single wagon. Your way will get contents from all wagons, which is not what I asked for :)
But, why do you want to read the content of a single wagon ? I would be really happy if I could read at least the content of the whole train itself :)

MindChanger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MindChanger »

DevilXD wrote:[
But, why do you want to read the content of a single wagon ? I would be really happy if I could read at least the content of the whole train itself :)
For example to know how much items more to put into wagon without using filters in train where it is no needed (to allow wagon to have different kinds of items).

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

MindChanger wrote:For example to know how much items more to put into wagon without using filters in train where it is no needed (to allow wagon to have different kinds of items).
And why couldn't this be achieved using the whole train contents?

If you for example want to load Coal into the 3 third wagon you will surely have inserters there that are able to grab coal anyways... so if there is no coal in that wagon you basically just check if Coal amount of train is smaller than 40*2400 or something like that. And the inserter only works then if it is smaller.

MindChanger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MindChanger »

MeduSalem wrote:
MindChanger wrote:For example to know how much items more to put into wagon without using filters in train where it is no needed (to allow wagon to have different kinds of items).
And why couldn't this be achieved using the whole train contents?

If you for example want to load Coal into the 3 third wagon you will surely have inserters there that are able to grab coal anyways... so if there is no coal in that wagon you basically just check if Coal amount of train is smaller than 40*2400 or something like that. And the inserter only works then if it is smaller.
What if I want to have balanced amount of specified materials across my all wagons? (It is not often situation to customize slots like that, but is possible).
Can't do that just using train content reader.

I had so more ideas, but don't remember them yet :D

But well, those are really rare situations, so I think reading content from whole train is enough.

Cabanur
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cabanur »

Many people have already seen that the problem with this is that the holding cargo of the whole train isn't as useful as a single wagon's cargo.

This is why I think it shouldn't be a train-station thing but a rail block thing. I'd like to be able to connect a rail to the circuit network. The rail should be able to read the contents of the wagon directly above it (either wagon or locomotive). Maybe make it only able to read if train is at full stop.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”