Flamethrower aiming at targets outside range

Bugs that are actually features.
wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Flamethrower aiming at targets outside range

Post by wahming »

Another flame turret related bug. The turret in the pic has been shooting at that small worm for a minute now.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Flamethrower aiming at targets outside range

Post by Klonan »

Thanks for the report,

It is intentional that the flamethrower starts firing when something is out of range, so that the fire will damage it as it walks into range

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Klonan wrote:Thanks for the report,

It is intentional that the flamethrower starts firing when something is out of range, so that the fire will damage it as it walks into range
Well, maybe that should only be applied for things that are actually moving towards it?

Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ojelle »

Or only at non-stationary things (out of range)

A creeper wil eventually get hit or move away. Something stationary on the other hand :P
Choumiko wrote:
sillyfly wrote:kovarex just posted the thread... but with #118 in the title. I think they had too much beer :D
It's a wonder how good the game is, if you consider how bad they are with the FFF numbers :mrgreen:

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

I agree. If a new spawner sets up at just the right range from your fixed defenses, this could potentially drain your entire oil supply. How is this considered acceptable behaviour?

Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ojelle »

wahming wrote:I agree. If a new spawner sets up at just the right range from your fixed defenses, this could potentially drain your entire oil supply. How is this considered acceptable behaviour?
I probably wasnt considered so It isnt acceptable. Keep in mind this is a new build and corner cases like this are probably not seen by the devs in there internal testing.
Choumiko wrote:
sillyfly wrote:kovarex just posted the thread... but with #118 in the title. I think they had too much beer :D
It's a wonder how good the game is, if you consider how bad they are with the FFF numbers :mrgreen:

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

Ojelle wrote:I probably wasnt considered so It isnt acceptable. Keep in mind this is a new build and corner cases like this are probably not seen by the devs in there internal testing.
I know. I'm trying to persuade Klonan there that this should be categorised as something other than 'not a bug'.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Ojelle wrote:
wahming wrote:I agree. If a new spawner sets up at just the right range from your fixed defenses, this could potentially drain your entire oil supply. How is this considered acceptable behaviour?
I probably wasnt considered so It isnt acceptable. Keep in mind this is a new build and corner cases like this are probably not seen by the devs in there internal testing.
We encountered this during testing, and we decided not to change the current mechanics. That's not to say in the future we won't revise this behavior, but at least for now we have more important issues to deal with

Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ojelle »

Klonan wrote:
Ojelle wrote:
We encountered this during testing, and we decided not to change the current mechanics. That's not to say in the future we won't revise this behavior, but at least for now we have more important issues to deal with
Ofcourse! No hurry. Just hope to see it changed after .13 is (semi) stable :)
Choumiko wrote:

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Huh ? This is a not a bug ?
The flame turret is constantly shooting at things outside the range all the time.
The behavior is resource draining with nothing to gain. Also, this is a false attack notification, we can't tell if the attack were real or a false "out of range" attack.
I have dozen of this notification all the time. :(

Haven't mentioned in this thread, this behaviour not only applies when flame turret attacking worm, they also make an attempt at out of range moving enemy that roaming (or stand still)

Rockstar04
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rockstar04 »

Klonan wrote:We encountered this during testing, and we decided not to change the current mechanics. That's not to say in the future we won't revise this behavior, but at least for now we have more important issues to deal with
This here skews this towards this being an issue, and I think most people here just want this moved back to the regular Bug Reports forum, so it can be looked at later. By having it in the "Not A Bug" sub forum, we assume it will never be revisited.

Return to “Not a bug”