Friday Facts #140 - Soon

Regular reports on Factorio development.
V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Friday Facts #140 - Soon

Post by V453000 »

Well I certainly didn't expect the discussion to derail this hard on one innocent BFG suggestion XD Also, as a huge-powerful-expensive-powerhogging-hightech-aoe weapon, I think it would be awesome to have. :) Mods? :P

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

V453000 wrote:Well I certainly didn't expect the discussion to derail this hard on one innocent BFG suggestion XD Also, as a huge-powerful-expensive-powerhogging-hightech-aoe weapon, I think it would be awesome to have. :) Mods? :P
A BFG in mods would be ok - as far as a BFG can be innocent in first place, thought -(think I saw a powerful space laser gun already in mods)
But vanilla should stay as close as possible to its core DNA and idea

nobodx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nobodx »

Yeah, there is a C&C style orbital Ion Cannon somewhere around here

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

nobodx wrote:Yeah, there is a C&C style orbital Ion Cannon somewhere around here
Wait, isn't this the reason we're launching those sattelites?

DaemosDaen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaemosDaen »

brunzenstein wrote:
V453000 wrote:But vanilla should stay as close as possible to its core DNA and idea

Because combat in Vanilla is boring at the moment. Currently in the end game, you have the options of:
Defensive: Drop a few hundred turrets (laser normally, I prefer to mix them because normal turrets hit harder)
Offensive; Drop about 100+ destroyers and walk through them.

I have several issue with this. and several ways to fix it, but this is not the place to discuss it. At lease someone is trying something, but I will agree that maybe the BFG is not the best idea. In doom 1/2 if you had full Cell capacity, you got like 2 shots outta it. It was situational at best, but fun to use.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

DaemosDaen wrote: Because combat in Vanilla is boring at the moment.
Vanilla may be boring for some experts (I doubt even that statement holds water as vanillas presets may be radically enhanced within the setup - think the stunning Linear Factorio from Zisteau for example or by adding mod's) but certainly complicated enough keeping the overwhelming majority of average users / buyers busy for many weeks. As a example:
A setup with combinators (SR latches and more) can keep even seasoned mathematicians sweating for many days over a proper setting.

And - Not everybody is unemployed, a kid or has otherwise limitless free day/night time :P

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Vanilla COMBAT is boring, indeed. Let's see what the flamethrower brings, though.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

aka13 wrote:Vanilla COMBAT is boring, indeed. Let's see what the flamethrower brings, though.
However - Factorio's combat feature is a nice, but given Factories underlying DNA, still a sideshow to bring a litte sparkling to the story - but that's it.

Bi0nicM4n
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bi0nicM4n »

V453000 wrote: ...huge-powerful-expensive-powerhogging-hightech-aoe weapon...
Precisely what I meant it to be (a resource sink, that is).

FalcoGer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FalcoGer »

would like a filter type thing. just dumping all the contents of the logistics network into the circuit network seems like something you don't always want. So perhaps just a few specific items through some kind of filter would be nice.

Linosaurus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Linosaurus »

I really like that outpost unloading setup. And it's nice that you post example like this so players can get a feel for what is possible with the circuit network.

Also. I like your pricing policy. Respect.

equitime77
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by equitime77 »

Its looking great, cant wait to play it. Not sure exactly what is going on with the train station but Im sure I and others will have fun with it. Yey also for a safe way to cross those tracks, less taking your life in your hands and just going for it :)

Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ojelle »

We can now officially start annoying all the developers by asking 'how long till the updaaaaaaate :D'

Since I need to hand in my thesis next week don't mind if you are a week 'late' (yes, I know it was an estimate, no worries, as long as the month is correct I'm happy ^^)
Choumiko wrote:
sillyfly wrote:kovarex just posted the thread... but with #118 in the title. I think they had too much beer :D
It's a wonder how good the game is, if you consider how bad they are with the FFF numbers :mrgreen:

Bi0nicM4n
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bi0nicM4n »

equitime77 wrote:...Not sure exactly what is going on with the train station...
It's that a single inserter can pickup different items from the train (be it walls, belts, etc) in amounts specified in constant combinators (those work as filters). Arithmetic combinator multiplies amount of items already in storage by -1 to subtract it from numbers in those filters, so that there are precisely 100 walls in the chest and the like. Since each constant combinator allows for 15 item types in the filter, this setup can pick up 30 different items, and subtracting the amount of stored items means that inserter will not pick a 101-th wall segment and clog up.

I believe the same can be done with loading filtered wagons, if you connect train station to the "-1" combinator. We get the power of 6 smart inserters in one, but even better, since earlier there was no way to prevent inserters from picking up excessive items. This setup is very useful for maintenance trains.

Sebb767
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sebb767 »

Anyone else here simply waiting for the update to finally arrive?

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Bi0nicM4n wrote:
It's that a single inserter can pickup different items from the train (be it walls, belts, etc) in amounts specified in constant combinators (those work as filters).
Three questions to the given picture:
- why is the red wide connected from the chest to the roboport?
- In the picture the green "stack filter inserter" ist set to filter the single item "wall" but not the violet filter inserter between the roboport and the box to filter all of the demanded items?
- the inserter from the wagon has a filter set to a single item and would only load walls - true?
Thank you for helping a layman
Last edited by brunzenstein on Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

brunzenstein wrote:- why is the red wide connected from the chest to the roboport?
I think that one is so that it reads the entire contents of the logistic area to the combinatory.
Remember, a wire doesn't have to connect directly from one device to another, it can go from entity to entity to entity, as long as the chain connects between the 2 objects you want to communicate with each other.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

brunzenstein wrote:Three questions to the given picture:
- In the picture the green "stack filter inserter" ist set to filter the single item "wall" but not the violet filter inserter between the roboport and the box to do that?
- the inserter from the wagon has a filter set to a single item and would only load walls - true?
As I understand:

- Wiring connects roboport (RP) and chest to "x(-1)" combinatory to detect items in chest AND RP before subtracting quantity from "desired" list

- Violet is NOT a filter inserter - it's "blind" stack inserter that will grab any repair packs (and probably bots) from chest. Considering "desired" quantity is specified much less than RP capacity (100 r.packs and 50 bots) - this violet inserter will never end up with item waiting in hand, while another item is empty in RP (unless there'll be issues with stack inserter waiting for hand to get fully filled for eternity)

- "Wall" in the filter window may be caused by:
A) being the first item set by network (note it's the first item in constant combinator window)
B) the filter that will be used if disconnected from network (much less likely)
bobingabout wrote:I think that one is so that it reads the entire contents of the logistic area to the combinatory.
Then it's weird, why the chest is connected to combinator, if RP provides info about whole storage. (I wonder if signals from storage chest are doubled then...)
I guess, it's more just a brief example, without much care about uber-efficiency)
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "Ищу, теряя" (rus, 2013)

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

I've just noticed weird thing in
flamethrower gif
In last moments 2 spiters die about 3 meters before entering the flame. That's quite odd.
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "Ищу, теряя" (rus, 2013)

Bi0nicM4n
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bi0nicM4n »

brunzenstein wrote:
Bi0nicM4n wrote:
It's that a single inserter can pickup different items from the train (be it walls, belts, etc) in amounts specified in constant combinators (those work as filters).
Three questions to the given picture:
- In the picture the green "stack filter inserter" ist set to filter the single item "wall" but not the violet filter inserter between the roboport and the box to filter all of the demanded items?

Stack inserter (green one) has it's circuit network operation mode set to "set filters", so it reads signal of red wire and interprets it as a list of items it should get. And it's no matter whether violet inserter has filters or not.

Return to “News”