Factorio Roadmap for 1.0.

Information about releases and roadmap.
cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Factorio Roadmap for 0.12 + 0.13

Post by cpy »

Will you introduce Lag Hiding 2.0 in 0.13? Like dynamic latency (delayed 10ms higher that slowest response time, can be evaluated every now and then). Better lag hiding for some stuff like working with boxes and inventories.

Speed improvement for scripts? Ability to run mod script in different thread if it's not game changing (ones that just display information) so we can squeeze more power out of mods.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

cpy wrote:Speed improvement for scripts? Ability to run mod script in different thread if it's not game changing (ones that just display information) so we can squeeze more power out of mods.
Multithreading in pure Lua is, as far as I know, not possible. Depending on how Factorio handles scripts it may be able to run the whole script on other threads but that still requires the entire modding API to be thread safe. (And since this will probably happen outside of the update thread how do you stop users from trying to use a function that changes the game state?)
Even if the mod is 'just displaying information' (and not changing the game state). It still has to get that info from the game state and the methods it uses must be made thread safe. Making things thread safe is more complicated than it sounds.
The real question is, how do you expose different threads to modders? Especially when the most likely need to be handled at the C/C++ level?

If your mod causing tick lag, change it to not run every tick. Or split the update into groups and run them on alternating ticks or something.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

The additional problem is deterimism.

Factorio's p2p multiplayer model requires that all clients do the same thing every time. Threads are just about the most non-deterministic thing to include in something like this.

The only option to include multithreading is to parallelize processing of entities' actions that don't need to know about anything but its own state or global read-only state.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

ratchetfreak wrote:The additional problem is deterimism.

Factorio's p2p multiplayer model requires that all clients do the same thing every time. Threads are just about the most non-deterministic thing to include in something like this.

The only option to include multithreading is to parallelize processing of entities' actions that don't need to know about anything but its own state or global read-only state.
It's an interesting idea though, and the theory is to thread simple GUI mods that don't alter the game state. Like the resource monitor mod, it only collects data from the game state and presents that to the user; game state is unaffected.

It may be too complicated to implement in a reasonable way but, in theory, it's doable.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Please discuss this in General. Here it's bit off-topic. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Back to topic, I can't wait for 0.13 in 0.13 i'll be like: http://z0r.de/6398

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Since the 0.12 stabilization is going quite nicely we sat down yesterday with kovarex to make an actual plan for the 0.13 and mid term future. We decided to promise bit less and keep up the promises this time :)). Another motivation has been to start polishing things and filling "holes" that make the game less user friendly at the moment (mostly multiplayer annoyances). The plan to start steam greenlight with 0.12 stable still holds - while the process of coming to steam is in progress we will start working on 0.13 obviously. The big question is further work on the space endgame content. Since the scope of work is quite big it now seems impossible to fit it in 0.13. So it is kind of on hold. We will see if there is time to do some prototyping of the ideas we have.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Proper tech tree.
As a technological arborologist, yes.
Second part of the circuit network extension (power switch, gate, train station, accumulator and logistic network integration to circuit network)
As a secondary partial circuit network extender, yes.
Additional train conditions (wait until full, wait until empty, wait until circuit condition)
As an additive train conditioner, yes.
Turrets revisit
As a turret revisitor, yes.
Fight revisit (general fight balancing, possibly tank extensions, ...)
As a general and a fight balancer, as well as a possible tank extender, yes.
Multiplayer production polish (move from "usable if you try hard and overlook imperfections" to "just works")
As a Slovak, Polish truck drivers are the worst, not sure about multiplayer producers.
Basic Multiplayer matching server (allow listing running MP games via a central location)
As a match, I'm already burning with excitement.
Better rail building
As a rail building, I ponder the reason for my existence.
Better train managing possibilities.
As such a possibility, I'm already jealous.
Modules in blueprints.
As a module, I look forward to being actually utilized.
Oil extension (boiler for oil, oil wagon).
As oil, I like trains and burning.
Scenario pack extension
As an extension, I feel this is one of the better uses of me.
Surprise with 8-10 legs
As an arachnophobe, no.
Centralized mod portal and its integration in the game
As Steam Workshop, this makes me feel less appreciated.
Allow loading games with different mod settings (and automatically download the mods if necessary)
As a Minecraft developer, I would hate people yelling this in front of my villa.

Papa x
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Papa x »

Your plans sound great! Hard to wait. I am especially interested in a search ability in the crafting menu so I can look up a item (i.e. Blue science) and see what I need and how to make it. Thanks all the staff for their great efforts.

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

Papa x wrote:Your plan sound great! Hard to wait. I am especially interested in a search ability in the crafting menu so I can look up a item (i.e. Blue science) and see what I need and how to make it. Thanks all the staff for their great efforts.
You can thank them here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=4580

Edit: hardest post ever made on my phone...
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

crimsonknight3
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by crimsonknight3 »

I just noticed that the "Second part of endgame" has been removed from the 0.13 to do, but I didn't notice anyone else noticing it? lol Was this a decision made during your high level discussion/planning/(probably) coffee meeting?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

It can only be recommended, to use the wiki for maintaining that, cause the forum forgets the changes, the wiki not.

https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... le=Roadmap
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

PandaGOD
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PandaGOD »

Proper Tech Tree? AWESOME :D

indjev99
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by indjev99 »

ssilk wrote:It can only be recommended, to use the wiki for maintaining that, cause the forum forgets the changes, the wiki not.

https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... le=Roadmap
Look at their last post in this forum. It explains it.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Nice I can't wait for 0.13 in 2015 via the post :P

Back to Earth now. A lot of people are putting a whole Steam Release = 0.13 Testing Starts. How true is this time frame wise? I assume be at least a month or so after to make sure 0.12 is smooth?

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

Kane wrote:Nice I can't wait for 0.13 in 2015 via the post :P

Back to Earth now. A lot of people are putting a whole Steam Release = 0.13 Testing Starts. How true is this time frame wise? I assume be at least a month or so after to make sure 0.12 is smooth?
As far as i know, 0.12.22 is the last 0.12 and is the last stable version
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

jockeril wrote:
Kane wrote:Nice I can't wait for 0.13 in 2015 via the post :P

As far as i know, 0.12.22 is the last 0.12 and is the last stable version
There will be another update to 0.12 coming up sometime

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

I assume steam integration and small touch ups.

Aru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Aru »

Something that seems like it fits perfectly into the list, is a circuit-controlled open/close fluid valve. For example, it seems a little clunky to need multiple small pumps to turn flow on and off, when all you would need is a single valve, because the offshore pump is sufficient (edit: also chemical plant outputs). In practice, maybe it would be a pipe segment with two linked valves, one on each side? Or maybe it would be a pipe segment with two chambers, each half the capacity of a pipe, and the valve in the middle?
Last edited by Aru on Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

epiccraft_tv
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by epiccraft_tv »

Something that I would like to see is more transport belt and underground belt options. For example, it would be very helpful if I could make underground belts go farther and act as normal belts in a way that you can combine two inputs that would go to the same output.
Attachments
Like this but with underground belts instead of the normal transport belts.
Like this but with underground belts instead of the normal transport belts.
Factorio belt idea.png (196.02 KiB) Viewed 10985 times

Return to “Releases”