Mod Portal / Steam Workshop

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mod Portal / Steam Workshop

Post by ssilk »

Because we had now 3 thread with the same title "Steam Workshop" in 3 days :) I think this must be cleared like so, because I don't like to repeat over and over.

There are already some plans for that, the current state is this:

- What's called "Steam Workshop" for Steam is called "Modding portal" for Factorio.
- There are plans to add an own modding portal. ( https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-102 )
- The state of how to integrate that into Steam is yet unknown, but the current state of discussion is, that Factorio devs would be silly to use the Steam Workshop (as the only source), because that binds them to Steam and would disable the ability to use other distribution channels ( see http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-127 , 1st paragraph )
- With v0.13 we get maybe a very basic mod portal integration. ( https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-111 )

[PS: My own thought about that is, that "modding portal" is not the right name, cause Steam Workshop enables not only mods, but also to store blueprint-books or maps and other stuff - that kind of content is currently very underestimated and useful. Indeed, what's really needed is some kind of cloud or better repository.]

Suggestions

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=7526 Mod List [Nice try, but in reality this cannot be handled by hand and there is already requested to remove that from the wiki]
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7635 Factorio Mod Repository
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12199 Mod portal/repository operated by Factorio dev team
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18131 Steam Workshop Suggestion for Blueprint Books
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20815 Steam Workshop
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25359 Steam workshop
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mod Portal / Steam Workshop

Post by Koub »

ssilk wrote:A good name, that also describes what it really is, would be "Fapository".]
With all due respect, I dont think this name would be ideal : it has an epic pun value IYSWIM :roll:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, your're right. I removed it, that is some sort of joke that could be misunderstood. :)

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

Seam Workshop support for blueprints would be awesome!

Imagine how convenient would be to store your blueprints in your steam inventory. You could send them to your friends directly via browser! :D

Khaylain
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Khaylain »

I love the idea of Steam Workshop support for .blueprint or some such, and it would be awesome if there would be mods hosted to there as well.
I like the idea of not binding mods to the Workshop and having alternate ways of getting it, but there is something to be said for the ease of which users can download and start using mods with the Steam Workshop. Perhaps with the Mod Portal inside the game you wouldn't need or think about Steam Workshop for that, but it would need a system to curate mods a bit.

GameCharmer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GameCharmer »

For those of us that play with a ton of different mods and often write our own patches and balancing scripts, moving to the steam workshop would destroy a lot of work that's been done. Auto-updates that cause game breaking bugs, especially when things were patched manually, would probably deter some of the power players and modding enthusiasts. Just my 2 cents.

Khaylain
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Khaylain »

As far as I know you can disable auto-update for individual games and titles on Steam. So it shouldn't be any different for you with that, but it would make it a lot easier for those many many that don't understand or want to get into modding manually. For them it would be the best thing in the world to just click a button to subscribe to a mod and not have to worry about where files need to go, if they're getting the right file, and all that jazz.

Sakata
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sakata »

I know I'm a bit late to the discussion here, but I'd like to put my thoughts in here as well.

Frankly, while I like steam for the 'lazy factor' where all of the subscribed mods are kept up-to-date, I know that some mod authors *hate* steam, and it would be a put-off if it was made the 'official' mod distribution platform.

Unfortunately most other options are a hassle, and frankly turn mods into a pain in the ... butt.

There is however, an option already out there and even partially done here, that would allow mod authors freedom, while also allowing the game to officially support it as well -- CFAN, forked from CKAN.

The disadvantages here are the usual ones -- you'd have to modify the code, which would require you to learn the existing code, etc. There is also the license issue, but I have an idea for that :D

The advantages are:
  • Already exists, so you don't need to reinvent the wheel.
  • Mod authors can host wherever the heck they want.
  • Mod authors can license however they want.
  • Less strain on factorio devs, as community can help support this as well.
  • Supports open source, and sets a working model for future games you guys make, and other devs in the world.
While I understand that you probably can't just include CK/FAN's code straight into Factorio, I do have an idea on how this can be done so that it doesn't end up a hassle to use -- either you can have a remote call to cfan inside factorio (and some way to reload the mods after it finishes), or use a launcher-style program. I'm not sure if this would both satisfy the license for cfan *and* allow factorio to remain closed-source. I'm not a legal dude, nor have I coded in such a way that licenses have ever mattered to me.

The main advantage that I see here is that this would also be portable to the server-side as well. Factorio headless could also call cfan (command-line mode) and do its thing, then start up the server. Then server owners have less administration tasks to do as well, which leads to more stable servers, happier players, etc.

As far as a recommended, official repo, in-house would be nice, but it increases the costs of maintaining the game. Not sure how big Wube Software is, but if it's relatively new/small, I'd advise against it. Maybe steam even though it doesn't appeal to all, and probably nullifies cfan, or perhaps one of the current hosts could be made the 'officially approved" one while still remaining independent. Really up to devs, but I'd prefer to not add budgetary strain where it's not necessary.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

I believe I've posted this somewhere already but it's not in linked threads.

I'd like to voice an utter disgust with the idea of making steam workshop anywhere near official mod distribution portal. The thing is horrendous clusterfuck without good design and structure.
There's no standards for uploads, thus more than often you only get information about what mod does and what it depends on from that tiny section of user tweets below the bunch or random pictures.
There's no adequate search, you only get to type words into the line top right and struggle through semi-random entries it dumps at you because someone in mentioned your words in user tweets below.
Really, this can be continued on.

Actually, I've been recently searching around for other games' mods and the structure that was erected here, is actually the most amazing thing I've encountered.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Adil wrote:
I'd like to voice an utter disgust with the idea of making steam workshop anywhere near official mod distribution portal. The thing is horrendous clusterfuck without good design and structure.
Steam workshop won't be our distribution platform, we are using our own in-game and website mod portal

Vudjun
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vudjun »

Will it be possible for the server owner to allow mods to be downloaded directly from the server (Instead of requiring the mod portal).

This would be necessary for servers that:
- Change the mod in some way (Like modifying config options in a config.lua)
- Don't want to publish the mods files publically. (For an in-development mod)
- Aren't connected to the internet (a LAN game)

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Klonan wrote:
Adil wrote:
Steam workshop won't be our distribution platform, we are using our own in-game and website mod portal
coming with 0.13?

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Hello,

anything is wrong with this thread.
If i go to View unread posts, this thread is always listed, although i read it 100 times.

Could the admin please check the settings, Is it pinned or something?

Edit: After writing this post it vanished from the list.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

steinio wrote:Hello,

If i go to View unread posts, this thread is always listed, although i read it 100 times.

Greetings steinio
Same for me

Vudjun
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vudjun »

brunzenstein wrote:
steinio wrote:Hello,

Greetings steinio
Same for me
I'm guessing there was a problem with this thread at some point, I posted a question for the devs in this thread and it didn't appear.

Anyway, my question / suggestion on the mod portal, since my original post is now missing, was this:
Vudjun wrote: Will server owners have the option to allow clients to download mods directly from the server, instead of the mod portal?
This is important for the following cases:
- When the server owner has made changes to the mod (editing a settings.lua or other small change)
- When the server is running a mod they don't want to publish yet (An in-development mod, or server-specific mod)
- When clients can't connect to the internet (playing on a LAN)
- When the mod portal is down or overloaded (It might happen)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Be aware, that this is the suggestion board and not "questions and answers". :) So this might keep unanswered. ;)

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Vudjun wrote: Anyway, my question / suggestion on the mod portal, since my original post is now missing, was this:
Vudjun wrote: Will server owners have the option to allow clients to download mods directly from the server, instead of the mod portal?
This is important for the following cases:
- When the server owner has made changes to the mod (editing a settings.lua or other small change)
- When the server is running a mod they don't want to publish yet (An in-development mod, or server-specific mod)
- When clients can't connect to the internet (playing on a LAN)
- When the mod portal is down or overloaded (It might happen)
The mod portal is still under development, and at the moment such a feature like this isn't planned.
I will bring it up, to see if it is feasible, but i think it will be such an edge case, that it will not be necessary, or worthwhile to implement.
ssilk wrote:Be aware, that this is the suggestion board and not "questions and answers". :) So this might keep unanswered. ;)
Yes this is by no means an official source of info about the mod portal, I am working on a dedicated guide page for the upcoming release, and that will have definite answers about how the mod portal will work.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Klonan wrote: I am working on a dedicated guide page for the upcoming release, and that will have definite answers about how the mod portal will work.
This guide is a very important key token of the 0.13 puzzle.
In by humble opinion should the 13 dedicated guide be put online before the actual update is provided.
So the public can prepare itself to the coming changes as these will be a huge leap forward (® MaotseTung :lol: ) towards beta or even final

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

brunzenstein wrote:
Klonan wrote: I am working on a dedicated guide page for the upcoming release, and that will have definite answers about how the mod portal will work.
This guide is a very important key token of the 0.13 puzzle.
In by humble opinion should the 13 dedicated guide be put online before the actual update is provided.
So the public can prepare itself to the coming changes as these will be a huge leap forward (® MaotseTung :lol: ) towards beta or even final
It will be available before the release, just a couple of days though

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Can be seen as solved.

Again: There will be no Steam Workshop, see first post and posts from Klonan. :)

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”