Cars and trains

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
NoUsername
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Cars and trains

Post by NoUsername »

Its a bit strange that a small car can have so much items in it when its not even made for it. The car got almost 3 times as much storage space than the train. when the train wagon is made for storage and is way bigger. Image Image Image
I think the car and tank storage should be decreased by a bit.
Last edited by daniel34 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed image tags

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Cars and trains

Post by bobucles »

The devs mentioned a possible train buff a while back.

The main reason for the limited train size is because train loading and unloading is automated. High capacity trains are more difficult to load and unload in a reasonable manner. Cars can't be automated (except a few weird belt tricks), so their storage space doesn't have any impact on balance.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Some similar and more general discussion: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7401&hilit=car+inventory Balancing of Capacities of Containers
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

emilygrace wrote:[Koub] Deleted post : it was a spambot advertising.
Has science gone too far?
:D
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

In my opinion, the car should have a much smaller storage space, as should the tank.

The only reason I can think of for the car having such a high storage space is for the mission where you have to fill it with resources and stuff.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

That sort of inventory problem can be addressed with a "trailer", I.E. a cargo car for the car. More cargo space comes at the cost of mobility.

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

bobucles wrote:That sort of inventory problem can be addressed with a "trailer", I.E. a cargo car for the car. More cargo space comes at the cost of mobility.
A trailer might not be feasible given the current programming and how clunky the driving tends to be.

However, a new larger ground vehicle could be added. The regular car is basically a buggy, so adding in a cargo van or truck would be perfectly in line with the game and would allow the campaign mission to work without the small car.

It sounds like something a mod could add in for preliminary testing purposes. The coding is already in place to handle vehicles so the only new work needed is art.

FMTK
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by FMTK »

ssilk wrote:Some similar and more general discussion: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7401&hilit=car+inventory Balancing of Capacities of Containers
It should be way more general ;)
If we discuss the balance between trunk sizes, we should also talk about a person, carrying 6000 steel bars! :lol:
This is all pretty fair "balanced", because it's mainly corresponding pretty good with the rest of the game (amounts of reciept ingredients, construction times, moving speeds aso).
Back to topic :D IMO the balancing of the capacities of cars and cargo waggons is ok because
  • trains are faster
  • trains can be scheduled
  • trains run without being moved by the player
  • trains can have more than one cargo waggon
To sum it up: Trains can move much more items in much less time with much mire efficiency.

Slayn25
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Slayn25 »

bobucles wrote:High capacity trains are more difficult to load and unload in a reasonable manner.
Why? In 0.12 you would just need to up the time at each station and in 0.13 the "when empty" or "when full" train conditions will accommodate any cargo capacity.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I'm still of the opinion that the car and tank storage space should be significantly smaller (Maybe 40 space for the car, and 20 or 30 for the tank, small enough to not be silly huge, but large enough to still be useful), obviously the mission where you have to fill the car with stuff will need to be modified to accommodate the new car capacity, or have a special case override for the mission.

And on the other end, train cargo wagon capacity increased to... 50 or 60.

Now I've seen cargo wagons with space 60, I have them as a MK3 cargo wagon in my mod, they work well, and would be a reasonable balance to a car with trunk space 40.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

joe_da_cro
Inserter
Inserter

Post by joe_da_cro »

lets take a look at this from a different approach.

if the car had a million storage spaces would you use it over a train with 10 spaces per wagon?

the answer is no because with the car you still need to manually drive it. i mean you could use belt tricks to load and unload automatically and have it move around but its not with the same level of autonomy as the trains.

So people are asking for balancing cars/tanks where they are not in direct conflict with another method transport.

Now if a person could set up roads where cars would drive along them automatically like trains, then id be on-board them being balanced but as it stands a car with 100 slots < train wagons with 10 slots (and i know this is not how they are just illustrating my point again)

Return to “Balancing”