Thoughts on boats.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

valmarus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Thoughts on boats.

Post by valmarus »

I've been reading a couple of the topics about boats and have been thinking of some solutions from the points raised by the devs. Whilst I will not pretend to understand what these suggestions will involve programming wise or what problems may occur I though I might offer a suggestion for pathfinding, that being bouys:

When placing bouys connections are made, in a similar manner to logistics networks for robot ports, ie they connect to every bouy in range in a straight line. If a straight line can not be drawn from bouy to bouy without passing through shallow water or land, the connection will not be made to that specific bouy. Bouys will also act similar to rail signals, if a given route from bouy to boy is blocked, a ship will not enter that section. Every path between bouys will have 2 directions, and travel in one direction will not be blocked by travel in the opposing direction but travel will be blocked by crossing the another pathing line.

Boats:-

A variet of boats would be nice.

A small wooden one. Slow, low health, etc.

(not technically a boat) Life jacket. Armour slot item, allows player to traverse water. Perhaps an emergency flotation slot item for power armour too.

Shallow draft boats: These can enter shallow water and beech themselves on the shore. They may not be automated. Gunboats, light freight ship with small storage.

Cargo Vessels: These are large vessels that can be automated and have large amounts of storage (various size vs speed options might be nice). They however require a port and can not enter shallow water even if driven by the player.

Ports:-

Ports are required to load and unload cargo vessels. They are large structures that have storage capacity. Each port connects to the bouy network in a similar fashion to bouys.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Thoughts on boats.

Post by ssilk »

Yeah I think that is the right direction. As a precondition we need the extremley fast routing algorithms, which is also needed for the robots. That is eventually also the reason, why we don't have automated ships yet.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Bourbon20147
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Thoughts on boats.

Post by Bourbon20147 »

Forum - pain. All themes already been suggested.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”