[WIP][0.12.22+] Subsurfaces 0.0.4 : build beneath your base

Topics and discussion about specific mods
johnney5
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [WIP][0.12.22+] Subsurfaces 0.0.3 : build beneath your base

Post by johnney5 »

Couldn't find anything about this in a previous post, (I looked, I swear! :) ) but, I play with some (about 3 at any given time) friends. Randomly at times, but noticeably often when multiple people are using the lift at the same time, one of us will get a bit of a bug. The notification about being transported to the tunnel gets stuck at a seemingly random spot and you wont transport. After that when another player attempts to change level it will do the same to them, but will finish your bar and place you on the overworld about the same place you were underground.
Attachments
20160325160646_1.jpg
20160325160646_1.jpg (245.58 KiB) Viewed 6384 times

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

johnney5 wrote:Couldn't find anything about this in a previous post, (I looked, I swear! :) ) but, I play with some (about 3 at any given time) friends. Randomly at times, but noticeably often when multiple people are using the lift at the same time, one of us will get a bit of a bug. The notification about being transported to the tunnel gets stuck at a seemingly random spot and you wont transport. After that when another player attempts to change level it will do the same to them, but will finish your bar and place you on the overworld about the same place you were underground.

ok, I will look into this, (although, I thought I made sure this would work with multiplayer ...)
just to be sure, The progress bar stays on the screen but doesn't move ?

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

StanFear wrote:
johnney5 wrote:Couldn't find anything about this in a previous post, (I looked, I swear! :) ) but, I play with some (about 3 at any given time) friends. Randomly at times, but noticeably often when multiple people are using the lift at the same time, one of us will get a bit of a bug. The notification about being transported to the tunnel gets stuck at a seemingly random spot and you wont transport. After that when another player attempts to change level it will do the same to them, but will finish your bar and place you on the overworld about the same place you were underground.

ok, I will look into this, (although, I thought I made sure this would work with multiplayer ...)
just to be sure, The progress bar stays on the screen but doesn't move ?

Ok I might have found why this happens
Could you change in the control.lua file, line 707

Code: Select all

if #global.time_spent_dict == 0 then
to

Code: Select all

if associative_table_count(global.time_spent_dict) == 0 then
and tell me if this still happens (to reproduce, start teleporting from one surface to the other with two players almost simultaniously)

johnney5
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by johnney5 »

Downloading and using the zip for 0.0.3 the line "if #global.time_spent_dict == 0 then" does not exist.
"if time_spent_dict == 0 then" is on line 364, but not the whole global thing.

Downloading and using the git hub stuff first, gotta rename zip to Subsurface_0.0.3 or it throws an error, then after doing so starting up the game it throws "Path/_test_/_tools/graphics/dbg-overlay-blue.png does not match any mod."

Also the line "if #global.time_spent_dict == 0 then" is now on 700 even on the git version.

So.. at the moment, I await in anticipation for further instruction.

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

johnney5 wrote:Downloading and using the zip for 0.0.3 the line "if #global.time_spent_dict == 0 then" does not exist.
"if time_spent_dict == 0 then" is on line 364, but not the whole global thing.

Downloading and using the git hub stuff first, gotta rename zip to Subsurface_0.0.3 or it throws an error, then after doing so starting up the game it throws "Path/_test_/_tools/graphics/dbg-overlay-blue.png does not match any mod."

Also the line "if #global.time_spent_dict == 0 then" is now on 700 even on the git version.

So.. at the moment, I await in anticipation for further instruction.
yeah, sorry it is line 364, just do the same but remove the global, and you should be good !

johnney5
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by johnney5 »

Ok so I changed line 364 from "if time_spent_dict == 0 then", to "if associative_table_count(time_spent_dict) == 0 then"

One of us got ----Error while running the event handler: __Subsurface__/lib.lua:86: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got number)----
The other one got ----Error while running the event handler: __Subsurface__/control.lua:290: Gui element with name teleportation_progress_bar_container already present in the parent element.----

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

johnney5 wrote:Ok so I changed line 364 from "if time_spent_dict == 0 then", to "if associative_table_count(time_spent_dict) == 0 then"

One of us got ----Error while running the event handler: __Subsurface__/lib.lua:86: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got number)----
did you remove the "#" ?
johnney5 wrote: The other one got ----Error while running the event handler: __Subsurface__/control.lua:290: Gui element with name teleportation_progress_bar_container already present in the parent element.----
ok, I'll fix that one in the next release

As I said in OP (I think) this is still WIP and the multiplayer was not tested ... so bugs like this are to be expected !

johnney5
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by johnney5 »

Ok, so got it to work so far. Line 364 is changed to "if associative_table_count(time_spent_dict) == 0 then" and seems to work so far.
As for the GUI error a quick fix is to dump all belongings into a box, quit to menu, change your player name then rejoin game.

So far loving the mod. I usually don't do bug reports but I'm liking the mod enough that I figured I would give a little help where I could.

GproKaru
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GproKaru »

I thought I'd share this since your subsurface mod helped me learn how to use LUA coding for the first time. (I seriously mean that, never actually done LUA coding before)
I managed to make my own underground surface area that generates tunnels and stuff when chunks generate. I've yet to do my own textures for the cave walls and floor so I've used the ones provided in your subsurface mod to test out my coding.

I'm sorry if this is off topic but I just wanted to thank you personally StanFear.

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

@GproKaru:
That looks really nice. It does actually look like natural tunnels.

[OT]
For the ore generation, are you generating new noise maps, or are you using the old ones along with a lower 'level' value? Generation
(I.e. do the positions of the underground resources line up with the above ground deposits?)

It would be really awesome to have above ground deposits be small but 'clean' ores, while below them are far larger but 'dirty' ores.
It is the way I've always hoped Factorio would go with its ore generation.
I.e. the deeper you drill, the larger the deposits, but the harder it is to process them into something usable.
(Within the limits of sanity of course.)
[/OT]

johnney5
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by johnney5 »

---Sigh---

It's me again...
I found another,

Error while running the event handler:
__Subsurface__/control.lua:241:User isn't
connected; can't read character

Looking through the code we think its trying to poison us, but can't find the player.

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

johnney5 wrote:---Sigh---

It's me again...
I found another,

Error while running the event handler:
__Subsurface__/control.lua:241:User isn't
connected; can't read character

Looking through the code we think its trying to poison us, but can't find the player.
I'll look into this, Thank you !

mooklepticon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mooklepticon »

This idea is amazing. Keep up the good work! I wonder if this could be used to create mountains and such. Then, of course, I'd want to go under them!

Dragonbeater89
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dragonbeater89 »

I'd really like to see some "nests" underneath biter spawners, with some new, powerful enemies guarding any eggs, and you may need to destroy the nest to wipe out the base, or it will regenerate. and maybe some artefacts for killing the guardians.
Another idea, maybe change the tunnel bore to a large train sprite that places rails as it digs a tunnel (but won't turn)
And lastly, I would definitely like to see someway to dig up from a subsurface (just don't let people dig above the main surface :) )

Lutra
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Lutra »

GOD DAMN this is amazing! i would love to help you with this, but i have exams to do :( and you are probably more experienced than me. the concept is amazing and what i have tried so far is cool. i imagine this would be great for an MP battle/war scenario for building underground bases/storage. keep it up!
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

challanger244
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by challanger244 »

really cool mod the only problems and inprovables i can see strait off is: explane where you put vents. possably show a breathable air lvl or a polution lvlas when i put some vents down i nearly killde myself.and possably make it so you cant destroy drills unless you are on the top lvl of drill so you dont get stuck.
still amasing mod and i seemed to get it and the ware house mod at same time while trying to play bobs mod so it is a change and i think its a great mod thou and look forward to seeing the new updates

Simcra
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Simcra »

While in multiplayer errors out every time one of us tries to go underground after pausing when gui comes up, after crashing the server error reads:
"Error while running the event handler:
__Subsurface__/control.lua:290 Gui element with name teleportation_progress container already present in the parent element"

Also would like to know when fluid elevators are coming to the public release, really enjoy this mod.

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

Simcra wrote:While in multiplayer errors out every time one of us tries to go underground after pausing when gui comes up, after crashing the server error reads:
"Error while running the event handler:
__Subsurface__/control.lua:290 Gui element with name teleportation_progress container already present in the parent element"
hum ...ok, I will check that !
Simcra wrote:Also would like to know when fluid elevators are coming to the public release, really enjoy this mod.
it is already codded, I just need to release a version for it to be available, but I'm doing some potentially gamebreaking stuff right now with the mod, I know I should have released a version some time ago but ... now I'm waiting to have the parft I'm working on ready !

hopefully, it'll be out this week !

Also, I'll wait to have all the bugs reported fixed !

Simcra
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Simcra »

Another bug occured after some testing with your dev version:
Error while running the event handler: __Subsurface__/control.lua:827: Invalid surface name: Surface names must not be blank and must be unique

This happened when we destroyed a drill and restarted the server because my friend was stuck underground, after rebooting server we then placed a new drill.

Szentigrade
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Szentigrade »

just tried this in mutipler and if more than 1 person tries to go into the tunnels this (refer to image) gets stuck on players

Return to “Mods”