[New enemies] Native tribe and concurrence

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

teufler80
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[New enemies] Native tribe and concurrence

Post by teufler80 »

So, i put alot of hours into this game and love it
But then i got the idea, why not add some new dangers ?

My first idea was like native tribes that live near water, and get annoyed by pollution because its harming their farming / their religion or something else
The settlements do grow over time and increase in technology and population, and get new technology and will some day attack the player, first with primitive weapons, later with siege weapons and (maybe) magic /vodoo stuff

Another idea was that maybe a concurrent also comes to the planet and start to gather resources and build a base as well, so that the player will some day need to expand away from the concurrent, or fight him :)

this whould be awsome !

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [New enemies] Native tribe and concurrence

Post by ssilk »

Added to the list in viewtopic.php?f=80&t=139&p=82957#p82957 Enemy Variations / Enemy Variety / New Enemies
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Hexicube
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [New enemies] Native tribe and concurrence

Post by Hexicube »

teufler80 wrote:My first idea was like native tribes that live near water, and get annoyed by pollution because its harming their farming / their religion or something else
For all we know the biters are a tribe and pollution is evidently affecting them in some way already, as they mutate into larger biters.

Care needs to be taken with stepping into the realm of intelligence (or at least more so), they shouldn't be capable of "out-smarting" defences by exploiting issues that can't be worked around (such as turret range). They could work out where the weak spots are (see Misanthrope), but nothing past that.

Also, if anything I think more intelligent beings would be less inclined to attack, given that we would have a massive technological head-start. Perhaps it would instead be an opportunity for trading instead, where they're able to procure alien artefacts which are otherwise unobtainable in a peaceful setting. This would add alternatives, which currently don't exist.

For offensive capabilities, I'd guess they would prefer sending in as few people as possible, which paves the way for more historical methods (such as a trebuchet/catapult) which needs only a handful of people. If it comes down to it, they could always bum-rush the weakest defensive location and set off some dynamite, though that would likely be a last-resort in response to your attacks and would probably be co-ordinated.

A concurrent would be a particularly awkward thing to add, since you're basically suggesting an AI player. This is notoriously hard to do, which is supported by the fact numerous games had to let their AI cheat just to keep up (such as C&C giving it full map view). I'm against an AI player on that basis, as well as the fact it would eat a lot of CPU. Pre-built remnants would be cool though, similar to the tutorial ones.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”