Topics and discussion about specific mods
qjm123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.22] ExtraChests v0.1.2

Post by qjm123 »

OvermindDL1 wrote:Found error on load:

Code: Select all

Error Util.cpp:49: Error while loading entity prototype "radar-mk3" (radar): conversion of data to type "j" failed
Never encountered that issue before :-( Would you be able to tell me more about your setup, what other mods do you use? A full list would be nice as maybe I will be able if one of them is trying to redefine that entity and change it to that "j" type.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

So I fumbled around a bit and this is working for a base gfx and an overlay with highlights for example

animation ={
	layers={
    {
        filename = "__modname__/graphics/entity/5x5.png",
        width = 160,
        height = 160,
        frame_count = 1,
        shift = {0, 0},
    },
	{
        filename = "__modname__/graphics/entity/5x5-overlay1.png",
	tint = {r=1, g=0, b=0},
        width = 160,
        height = 160,
        frame_count = 1,
        shift = {0, 0},
    },
	}
	},
Attachments
example3.png
example3.png (176.06 KiB) Viewed 7907 times
5x5-overlay1.png
5x5-overlay1.png (2.98 KiB) Viewed 7907 times
5x5.png
5x5.png (725 Bytes) Viewed 7907 times

qjm123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by qjm123 »

Arch666Angel wrote:So I fumbled around a bit and this is working for a base gfx and an overlay with highlights for example

animation ={
	layers={
    {
        filename = "__modname__/graphics/entity/5x5.png",
        width = 160,
        height = 160,
        frame_count = 1,
        shift = {0, 0},
    },
	{
        filename = "__modname__/graphics/entity/5x5-overlay1.png",
	tint = {r=1, g=0, b=0},
        width = 160,
        height = 160,
        frame_count = 1,
        shift = {0, 0},
    },
	}
	},
Ok, that's fantastic, I didn't have much time this past week to go back to Factorio, but with the release in Steam I will try to bring an up to date add on with graphics using layers and tints instead of the whole thing as I did so far, and double check that everything is still working under 0.12.24. Thanks a lot for you help Arch666Angel you've avoided me to spend an hour or so looking around to figure out how layers work, much appreciate ;)

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

It's a bit more complicated if you have an full animation sheet, because you basically have to have a full overlay sheet, but even then it saves you some filesize because you only have two files and its easier to make coloured variations.

OvermindDL1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OvermindDL1 »

qjm123 wrote:
OvermindDL1 wrote:Found error on load:

Error Util.cpp:49: Error while loading entity prototype "radar-mk3" (radar): conversion of data to type "j" failed
Never encountered that issue before :-( Would you be able to tell me more about your setup, what other mods do you use? A full list would be nice as maybe I will be able if one of them is trying to redefine that entity and change it to that "j" type.
Eh, I am unable to replicate it now, if I can I will give more info, I was rapid-fire setting up a mod pack and I did code edits 'afterwards' that fixed bugs in a variety of mods and was unable to replicate the issue, so it was likely caused by another mod somehow that I ended up fixing...

qjm123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by qjm123 »

Hi, I haven't stopped looking after my addon, but this past two weeks are really stressful plus I am moving back to Spain and there is a lot going on.

So far, I've managed to update only the mining drills and pumpjacks. Here a quick pick:

Everything looks a lot more darker and with less variation, I guess that's how the "tint" option works and no much I can do about it.

I've removed the previous "hires" animation for the larger mining drill as it was actually an animation of only 8 frames repeated 8 times! No point of having it as hires if it has the same frames as mine lowres option! Meaning that for larger drills there will be only one option available, that's it. For normal drills, there is still hires and lowres. All have tint versions.

Overall, I think it makes the game somehow lighter, and as I go and apply the same for accus and boilers there will be an significant improvment of memory usage and processing requierement. But, the overall quality will go down, not sure what to do here.

What do you think?

I am, going to leave here the update 0.1.3 (beta) and depending on the feedback I may find a way to have all options (hires, lowres, tint) or just tinte in low and hi or whatever. Only then, I will update the main post with a new version. I don't like to remove things just for the sake of removing them, as some people may want to keep the previous graphics and don' t care so much about efficiency (rater funny if they are playing this game thou :D )

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ysmw2mm6nwh23 ... 3.zip?dl=1

Enjoy the game with Bob's mod and my addon. I will be back online once I settle down in Spain.
Last edited by qjm123 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

When you post dropbox links please change the dl=0 to dl=1. This disables the pageload and makes it a direct download link with no spam trying to get people to register/login.

More importantly, THANK YOU. Great add on to the game.

qjm123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by qjm123 »

seronis wrote:When you post dropbox links please change the dl=0 to dl=1. This disables the pageload and makes it a direct download link with no spam trying to get people to register/login.

More importantly, THANK YOU. Great add on to the game.
Thanks a lot, I didn't know about that and dropbox, I only new for the pics and the "raw=1". I think all links for dropbox are now updated with dl=1 :)

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

If you want the tint lighter, you actually have to make the overlay a bit lighter, or more into the white

DungeonRyu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DungeonRyu »

Good day qjm123!

Would it be a lot to ask several psd temples of your work on Bob's mods? I want to madofy your version, especially colors. I can promice not to distribute it, if you don't want.

I started my own work on the Bob's mod graphics, but yours are far superior. Great job! :)

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21361

If not, can you tell me what tools you've used to separate certain elements of the animation, or did you work on the each frame separately, provided, of course that you are using photoshop.

Btw yout tint solution for sprites is a pretty neat idea it is however less color flexible and looks unnatural compared to normal recoloring(if we consider the Factorio style graphics). It also colors all the details, like several non-colored parts from pumpjacks and drills. Maybe it is a good idea to make tints optional as a low-res solution.

-----------

I 've got a question about the mod. It requires all bob's mods but as I see it is configurable, however I do not understand which option should I switch off in order to be able to play with your mod without bob's electronics.

qjm123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by qjm123 »

DungeonRyu wrote:Good day qjm123!

Would it be a lot to ask several psd temples of your work on Bob's mods? I want to madofy your version, especially colors. I can promice not to distribute it, if you don't want.

I started my own work on the Bob's mod graphics, but yours are far superior. Great job! :)

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21361

If not, can you tell me what tools you've used to separate certain elements of the animation, or did you work on the each frame separately, provided, of course that you are using photoshop.

Btw yout tint solution for sprites is a pretty neat idea it is however less color flexible and looks unnatural compared to normal recoloring(if we consider the Factorio style graphics). It also colors all the details, like several non-colored parts from pumpjacks and drills. Maybe it is a good idea to make tints optional as a low-res solution.

-----------

I 've got a question about the mod. It requires all bob's mods but as I see it is configurable, however I do not understand which option should I switch off in order to be able to play with your mod without bob's electronics.
Hi, thanks a lot for your compliments, sure, no problem at all, I'll share / post the psd files I've got to help you or anyone that feel having their owns colours. The only thing is that you will have to wait few days, as I moved back to my parents in Spain, I was living the last three years in Berlin! So right now I haven't got an Internet connection other than my phone and more important, no pc till I get it in the next days :D as soon as I'm settled I'll post them.

I love your white pump Jack, looks really cool and I'll be stealing your icons for the drills, they are just perfect, simple and clear of that's okay with you ;)

DungeonRyu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DungeonRyu »

qjm123 wrote: Hi, thanks a lot for your compliments, sure, no problem at all, I'll share / post the psd files I've got to help you or anyone that feel having their owns colours. The only thing is that you will have to wait few days, as I moved back to my parents in Spain, I was living the last three years in Berlin! So right now I haven't got an Internet connection other than my phone and more important, no pc till I get it in the next days :D as soon as I'm settled I'll post them.

I love your white pump Jack, looks really cool and I'll be stealing your icons for the drills, they are just perfect, simple and clear of that's okay with you ;)
Yes, you can have the icons, I even was thinking of a collaborate project, since you've got almost all the Bob's mods covered and there is not much point in making multiple mods that do the same thing.

I do however think that the first tier of buildings should have default Factorio coloring scheme. Thus steam-engines would not have blue tint, which does not suit them, I mean steam engines should have a warm palette :D Same goes for the boiler fires, maybe yellow(original), orange(MK2), red(MK3) and white(MK4) would be a better choice than blue and purple fires?

I tried something new with the area mining drills icons, so that the "A" won't be covered with number.

Btw there is a bob's warfare mod and it desperately needs icon update, since they are too oversimplistic. I started working on the bullets, still don't know where I'll go with them - maybe I'll make rocket bodies from them, since bullets should all be in clips.

I moved back to my parents in Spain, I was living the last three years in Berlin!
So, you must know at least 3 languages, that's cool. :)

Finally what if someone does not use bob's electronics but wants to use your mod?

BluBBa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BluBBa »

This looks like an awesome mod, just what i was looking for. And you surely put a lot of work into it.

But sadly, I get this error on startup

I have other mods installed but none of them are touching the assembly machines' textures.
Is this an error on my side? I wonder since nobody else is reporting this issue.

meelock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by meelock »

Hey I have a suggestion: can you upgrade bobs robots textures to match vanilla textures please, that would be helpfull. :P

DungeonRyu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DungeonRyu »

BluBBa wrote:This looks like an awesome mod, just what i was looking for. And you surely put a lot of work into it.

But sadly, I get this error on startup

I have other mods installed but none of them are touching the assembly machines' textures.
Is this an error on my side? I wonder since nobody else is reporting this issue.
That's the issue with this mod. If you do not have almost all of the Bob's mod installed it won't work. I had to manually delete whole rows that were reffering to Bob's electronics mod, since I do not use it/

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

One could make it, that the mod would check for the presence of each bob module, but that would require some work most of it to find what item/entity is in which module.

qjm123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by qjm123 »

Hi guys,

So sorry for my lack of answers :? Still no connection to internet, and even using my phone is a bit of a trouble as there are so many pics that get loaded I waist a lot of megas when accessing the forum :-(

BluBBa: As stated in the main post, my addon requiers all bob's mods modules to be present. I didn't want to have to go and unable each objects for each module as that would require a lot of work, as some of them (objects) are declared twice or more times in different modules. Maybe at some point I will try to solve that somehow.
Much appreciate your help, DungeonRyu, answering him.

meelock: Not sure I understand what you mean by upgrading bobs robots textures to match vanilla textures. Could you give me an example, please? I wouldn't mind at all to update them but I didn't see a need there, maybe it just didn't bother me but happy to look into it :-)

DungeonRyu: Thanks for the icons, so sorry I couldn't post the psd's yet :-( Hopefully in the following days they will sort my connection out. I really feel disconnected and a huge social withdrawal! I would like to work with you and get an even better addon for Bob's mod, that would be great. I don't mind you using my mod as the base for yours and update the colours and other things to make yours: yours. I understand the colours is a really personal thing and instead of creating a huge addon with two or three sets of different colours with all that implies, bigger file to download and load when running Factorio, I rather keep them split and let people choose the one they prefer but both having the same base, same icons, same changes, updates, etc, but different set of colours. What do you think?

I want to thanks everyone that has downloaded my mod so far, before I left Berlin, there were only 120 downloads and I was already happy but now we are almost at 9000 downloads!!! Not sure what happen while I was moving but that's amazing. And now I am out of internet! Nooooooooooooo :D :D :D :D

No worries, I will keep working on my mod.

DungeonRyu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DungeonRyu »

qjm123 wrote: DungeonRyu: Thanks for the icons, so sorry I couldn't post the psd's yet :-( Hopefully in the following days they will sort my connection out. I really feel disconnected and a huge social withdrawal! I would like to work with you and get an even better addon for Bob's mod, that would be great. I don't mind you using my mod as the base for yours and update the colours and other things to make yours: yours. I understand the colours is a really personal thing and instead of creating a huge addon with two or three sets of different colours with all that implies, bigger file to download and load when running Factorio, I rather keep them split and let people choose the one they prefer but both having the same base, same icons, same changes, updates, etc, but different set of colours. What do you think?

I want to thanks everyone that has downloaded my mod so far, before I left Berlin, there were only 120 downloads and I was already happy but now we are almost at 9000 downloads!!! Not sure what happen while I was moving but that's amazing. And now I am out of internet! Nooooooooooooo :D :D :D :D
Such collaborate projects are better done in some realtime chats, where you can type and receive answers at the same time. So we'll think this one through, cause you are making legitimate points.

As for the downloads, if it happened recently maybe it is due to the fact that someone posted your link inside my topic which is in Bob's mods subforum, Many people were unaware of your work(including myself and including bobingabout) because you posted it in the Big Mess mods, instead of puttin it inside Bob's mod subforum. Also your topic was recently bumped by several people including myself, that also can influence the downloading count :)

Btw, I finished a set of ammunition icons for Bob's warfare mod. I've got a slight problem with the edges, maybe you could give me some pointers?
Ammo icons

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

For the ammo icons - you need to make them 128x128 and then set the size up in the prototype. Your 64x64 ones are getting stretched which makes them jagged.

DungeonRyu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DungeonRyu »

orzelek wrote:For the ammo icons - you need to make them 128x128 and then set the size up in the prototype. Your 64x64 ones are getting stretched which makes them jagged.
They are 32x32 actually :D

Wow, now I feel dumb, that was an easy solution, thanks.

Return to “Mods”