[WIP][0.12.22+] Subsurfaces 0.0.4 : build beneath your base

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [WIP][0.12.21+] Subsurfaces 0.0.2 : build beneath your base

Post by Afforess »

Damn. I was literally thinking about this today and got as far as creating an empty mod, went to go look at how NESTT made their new surface, and instead, I see this mod!

I don't see a github link anywhere, and it's not mentioned, but are you looking for help on this mod? I am definitely interested in contributing (sadly, I am no artist, can't help w/textures).

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [WIP][Mod 0.12.last] Subsurfaces : build beneath your base

Post by StanFear »

Alukat wrote:Mod is a nice idea :D

As it goes for underground warfare:
maybe a tunnel digging worm that has every 60 (or so) minutes a 10%-chance to dig to the surface?
If your underground-base is connected to the worms tunnel and it digs to the surface, then the underground pollution gets to the surface, spreading there and maybe aggroing biter/spitter camps. The biters/spitter then use the worm-made tunnel entrance to raid your underground base. That'd be pretty cool :D
as I said before, I though of the subsurface as a non threatening area, but maybe some day, it'll change as for worms going underground ..., subsurfaces are not set to prevent the enemy to spawn (there is just not much place) so maybe, (and I mean, maybe) biters could spawn underground.
Dr. Walrus wrote:I found that if you try to load a map the already has another surface created besides the default one, the mod will show an error when you try to load the map.

If you create a new world, type this into the console, save it, and then try to reload the game, the mod gives an error.

Code: Select all

/c game.create_surface("another-surface")
specifically it says this:
Unknown key:"Error while running the on_load: __Subsurface__/control.lua:596: attempt to index global 'game' (a nil value)"
I had already found that bug when trying to launch a map started with the mod, this should be fixed in the next release !

Airat9000 wrote: more undegraund space and idea

geotermal energy (limited resource and 2 resourсe )

so that if there is a problem it would be possible to use the energy and underground resources such as iron , bob mod and other. if the enemy is permissible to break the base and then get out and kick their ass
the issue with underground ressources is that they all get removed when the subsurface is generated, an other way to do things might allow for this but then, there would be holes in the unexplored area ...
if the only reason you want the underground is to have another way of getting ressources, maybe you should check "the underground" which was made for that purpose (although, item and player elevators are not done in the same way)

Afforess wrote:Damn. I was literally thinking about this today and got as far as creating an empty mod, went to go look at how NESTT made their new surface, and instead, I see this mod!

I don't see a github link anywhere, and it's not mentioned, but are you looking for help on this mod? I am definitely interested in contributing (sadly, I am no artist, can't help w/textures).
well yeah ^^
I saw somewhere someone (maybe you) wanted to do a mod like this, so I hurried to put it in the wip section (for my work not to be useless :roll:)
I actually see coding this mod as a game in itself so I don't 'really' want help on the code, maybe later, but for now, if you want to help, just give me ideas ! or if you really want to, I plan on releasing a github repository link, you'll be able to help there.

also, the OP has been slightly modified to show which are the features the next version of the mod will be

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

StanFear wrote:
Afforess wrote:Damn. I was literally thinking about this today and got as far as creating an empty mod, went to go look at how NESTT made their new surface, and instead, I see this mod!

well yeah ^^
I saw somewhere someone (maybe you) wanted to do a mod like this, so I hurried to put it in the wip section (for my work not to be useless :roll:)
I actually see coding this mod as a game in itself so I don't 'really' want help on the code, maybe later, but for now, if you want to help, just give me ideas ! or if you really want to, I plan on releasing a github repository link, you'll be able to help there.

also, the OP has been slightly modified to show which are the features the next version of the mod will be
Definitely not trying to steal your thunder or anything here, I just figured you would appreciate free polish for the mod. I noticed a scripting error when I save my game and I am still in the subsurface, and try to load the save again. It's fairly easy to reproduce. I also saw you didn't check if entities you store in global data are valid before trying to use them, which caused a random scripting error too (see 109 in control.lua, you use the entity.surface without checking entity.valid first).

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

Afforess wrote: Definitely not trying to steal your thunder or anything here, I just figured you would appreciate free polish for the mod. I noticed a scripting error when I save my game and I am still in the subsurface, and try to load the save again. It's fairly easy to reproduce. I also saw you didn't check if entities you store in global data are valid before trying to use them, which caused a random scripting error too (see 109 in control.lua, you use the entity.surface without checking entity.valid first).
ok, well that kind of help, you can give anytime :)
checking if the entity is valide can indeed be helpfull, though I don't see how the entity could become invalid ... nearly all the entities I use are created by me, and should therefore always be valid, right ?
... ok I actually think I know a way the entity could become invalide ... I'll add that a future update (not the next one, it's pretty close right now, wouldn't delay it further)

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

StanFear wrote:
Afforess wrote: Definitely not trying to steal your thunder or anything here, I just figured you would appreciate free polish for the mod. I noticed a scripting error when I save my game and I am still in the subsurface, and try to load the save again. It's fairly easy to reproduce. I also saw you didn't check if entities you store in global data are valid before trying to use them, which caused a random scripting error too (see 109 in control.lua, you use the entity.surface without checking entity.valid first).
ok, well that kind of help, you can give anytime :)
checking if the entity is valide can indeed be helpfull, though I don't see how the entity could become invalid ... nearly all the entities I use are created by me, and should therefore always be valid, right ?
... ok I actually think I know a way the entity could become invalide ... I'll add that a future update (not the next one, it's pretty close right now, wouldn't delay it further)
Entities are invalid when they get destroyed by the user (or another mod, or the game itself). So while they might be created by you, they might get removed before you use them next. That is how they can become invalid.

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [WIP][0.12.21+] Subsurfaces 0.0.2 : build beneath your base

Post by StanFear »

new version available : 0.0.3
download on original post

what's new : changelog :

Code: Select all

version 0.0.2 :
  - fixed loading bug (game could not load a save with this mod in it already)
  - player now gets hurt if staying too long undeground with a high polution
  - all surfaces can now have subsurfaces ! (even subsurfaces !)
  - added mobile-borer to help dig the subsurface
  - some aestetic changes

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [WIP][0.12.22+] Subsurfaces 0.0.3 : build beneath your base

Post by kiba »

HELL YEAH!

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

kiba wrote:HELL YEAH!
ermh ... thank you ?

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

I can't laid concrete underground. Also, I can cheat putting solar panels there too.

SenT20
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SenT20 »

Hi. Please create support for liquids. Because I am building an underground base but I have to get the liquid down the machines . Sorry for my English, but not perfect.
Thanks for reading. ;)

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

kiba wrote:I can't laid concrete underground. Also, I can cheat putting solar panels there too.
yeah, you can't because the ground is based on concrete (your speed is the same as with concrete, I'll try to do something about that !
for the solar pannels, I know, the thing is, last time I checked you could not set the time of day to a different time on differents surfaces, so the subsurface is trated like a normal surface light-wise --> solar panels can work underground. (I might do something like in the underground mod but I don't really like the implications of the solution he used so ... for now, don't really consider it cheating, let's just say that the ground is so thin the light can go through :D
SenT20 wrote:Hi. Please create support for liquids. Because I am building an underground base but I have to get the liquid down the machines . Sorry for my English, but not perfect.
Thanks for reading. ;)
I'm actually curently working on that (some of the logic is done at least) ! until it is available though, you'll have to do the liquid stuff above ground (or at least what needs water) or, use a mod that allows to put everything in barrels !
but yeah, it's coming !

EDIT : oh, and by the way, I'd love to see how you use my mod, why don't you post pistures (if you thing they look different than a simple one-surface factory !)

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Waiting for that 0.13 experimental as it will include the per surface time :)! PS: you could as a placeholder if a solar panel is placed underground remove it and put it back into the players inventory saying: Why would i put a solar panel underground?
Basically just check if entity.surface is == underground ;)!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

jorgenRe wrote:Waiting for that 0.13 experimental as it will include the per surface time :)! PS: you could as a placeholder if a solar panel is placed underground remove it and put it back into the players inventory saying: Why would i put a solar panel underground?
Basically just check if entity.surface is == underground ;)!
well, yeah, I could, but ... I think I have more important stuff to do, I would also need to prevent a rocket to get launched, prevent the ion cannon to fire underground, etc. there are a lot of stuff to do make the subsurface idea work correctly, and it will not be something I do right now.

the next release will bring fluids elevator, and I think it is more important to make something that works well rather than add more placeholders for unfinished stuff ...
(and in my mod, I call it subsurface, not underground :P ! I read somewhere it means something close to basement)

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

StanFear wrote:... I would also need to prevent a rocket to get launched, prevent the ion cannon to fire underground, etc.
I would be more than happy to work with you if/when you decide what should be done about ion cannon/subsurface interactions. :)

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

Supercheese wrote:I would be more than happy to work with you if/when you decide what should be done about ion cannon/subsurface interactions. :)

as I said there's a lot to be done before that, but as soon as I think of a way (and have time to set it up), I'll be also glad to work with you !

Guest_4544
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Guest_4544 »

Very nice, but you should add a option for the digging machine to what elevation it should dig. Because right now there is a problem if the Tunnel-Entrance gets mined there is for the player no more a possibilities to get back to the surface area. Ergo the player gets stuck forever in that place and can only dig deeper to his demise.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Love the digging machine, but it isn't automatic enough or fast enough.

Need a way to dump dirt. I suggest filling the machine with an active provider so you can drop dirt into. The machine can also pick up active provider as it dig its way through.

Automatic digging could be done by automatically digging toward access shaft or pre-defined marking. Or you could select option for digging a certain size. No guarantee that it won't crash into a train or other objects though.

Ambitious extension would be to have a planner system. Maybe you could build a map that is an abstract representation of the tunnel network?

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

Guest_4544 wrote:Very nice, but you should add a option for the digging machine to what elevation it should dig. Because right now there is a problem if the Tunnel-Entrance gets mined there is for the player no more a possibilities to get back to the surface area. Ergo the player gets stuck forever in that place and can only dig deeper to his demise.
I think I found a solution to that problem of being stuck underground : not make the ground borer work in both ways, but have an "escape pod" apear when the player destroys the elevator, I hope this solution will be enough for you !
kiba wrote:Love the digging machine, but it isn't automatic enough or fast enough.
thank you !, indeed not automatic enough, and all things considered, it is fast enough ! don't forget the drill must go through a lot of dirt, and it is a huge working machine, making the borer faster would create lava or a lot of heat which would kill the player !
so the boring machine will not be faster (if I find how though, it will make more polution)
kiba wrote:Need a way to dump dirt. I suggest filling the machine with an active provider so you can drop dirt into. The machine can also pick up active provider as it dig its way through.

sync the borer inventory with a provider chest is something I would have to look into, no promesses though !
kiba wrote:Automatic digging could be done by automatically digging toward access shaft or pre-defined marking. Or you could select option for digging a certain size. No guarantee that it won't crash into a train or other objects though.
well, I have things more important to do first , but I'll give it a thought !
kiba wrote:Ambitious extension would be to have a planner system. Maybe you could build a map that is an abstract representation of the tunnel network?
erhm ... yeah, maybe some day ^^ (I don't thing we can create graaphs for now in factorio)

for now, I'm working on a working fluid elevator !

Guest_4544
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Guest_4544 »

StanFear wrote: I think I found a solution to that problem of being stuck underground : not make the ground borer work in both ways, but have an "escape pod" apear when the player destroys the elevator, I hope this solution will be enough for you !
Great. I hope this escape pod will also be craftable in the mean time till you found a better solution to this problem.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

How to cheat with mining bore:

Place a belt directly in front of it, and you'll get a slight speed boost!

Return to “Mods”