Games Like Factorio

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
Arucard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by Arucard »

Hi guys, I'm new here (duh) so sorry for posting up in a few month old thread, but I was checking out some of the suggestions here and remembered one of my own. While waiting for Infinifactory to download I was gonna start playing this game, I do this often since I have a pretty slow connection.

It's a fairly simple game, if fact it was more or less a prototype, but it's a lot of fun and made with Ascii characters!! (may be an upside or down depending on you :D)

Anyway the game is.... Dig-N-Rig!

Created by students at DigiPen Institute of Technology; the birthplace of Narbacular Drop (the inspiration for Portal) and Tag: the Power of Paint (the inspiration for gels in Portal 2, see a trend?) among other clever and unique games. You can also find those two and plenty more on the site, but back to DnR!

It's a side-scrolling, platforming, dig 'em up, mining rig-builder...oh and it's free so you should just try it! There are only slight similarities to Factorio, mostly building conveyor belts, but I think you guys might enjoy it even for it's simplicity. If nothing else it can kill a few minutes while waiting for a download, speaking of which: talk to you later!

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Arucard wrote:Anyway the game is.... Dig-N-Rig!
I just had a few good hours of fun with this neat game. Thanks :D

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

Twinsen wrote:
Arucard wrote:Anyway the game is.... Dig-N-Rig!
I just had a few good hours of fun with this neat game. Thanks :D
me too its a pretty cool game

tawyllomomm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tawyllomomm »

Thanks for starting this thread. I love to play games. and these are new to me. thank you so much

Stickman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Stickman »

Has anyone mentioned Big Pharma (Trailer) yet?

-root plays this and got me interested.
I tried snorting coke once. The ice cubes got stuck up my nose.

Val
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Val »

If you include strategy games, then the Settlers and Knights and Merchants would be much closer than any random AOE or C&C-like strategy game.

The above examples involve a lot of resource refinement, and they are more centered on logistics instead of combat. They can actually be the equivalents of Factorio in a medieval setting. You plant and harvest grain, which is turned into flour in the mill, which is baked into bread in a bakery, which makes up part of the food you have to feed your workers and soldiers with, including pigs which are made into sausages in the slaughterhouse, the skin is made into leather armor in the tannery, but you also need to mine ore and coal, smelt them into steel, make armor and weapons in a smithy, and carry all that stuff into a barracks to train soldiers. The recruits need coins, for which you need to mine gold and smelt it. Meanwhile all those resources and items need to be carried from one building to the other by dedicated workers, so for an efficient village a good planning of the resource chain is needed. Buildings also don't just magically appear, deducting the expenses from a global resource pool, but the wood and stone needs to be harvested, carried to and refined in sawmills and masonries, and then carried to the construction site.

Other similar games include the Anno Domini and Stronghold series, and the city builder (like Caesar3, Zeus, etc.) series. All of them involve stages of refinement, which need to be carried across the town between the various buildings, although they don't reach such complex levels as the first two examples.

Another example is Transport Tycoons, which was even mentioned by one of the developers as an inspiration for the railway system.

nobodx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nobodx »

If you mention gnomoria, you must also say Dwarfen Fortress

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

nobodx wrote:If you mention gnomoria, you must also say Dwarfen Fortress
I was just reading through this thread again, thinking, "what, nobody has mentioned Dwarf Fortress?!" And I got scooped in the last post.

For anyone who doesn't know DF, just imagine Factorio, with incomprehensible ASCII graphics, the factory is dug out of a mountain, and it runs completely on logistic bots. But the bots are slow, cranky, and have to be drunk all the time or they eventually kill each other.

Krayt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Krayt »

Ok as far as I can tell nobody in this topic dealt with the vehicle driving in Factorio so far.
It reminds me a lot of Grand Theft Auto 2. It has a similar perspective, plus you have weapons like in some vehicles in GTA 2, too.
The only point I don't like in Factorio as opposed to GTA is the fact, that at higher vehicle speeds there is no automatical zooming out for better overview. This would be a nice addition.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

GTA 2 doesn't have the best handling, but I think Factorio lags behind even in that regard.

Not that it's a bad thing. GTA 2 is a driving game, Factorio is a... Not a driving game.

Also the automatic zooming - nyet nyet nyet nyet. Play GTA 2 regularly, hate it. Camera zooms in and out as it pleases and lags behind if you change direction. Zooming out with the mousewheel is perfect.

Krayt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Krayt »

Ok that's a fair point. It is like roughly 15 years in the past that I played GTA 2, if I remember correctly. So I don't remember much. I now some stuff here and there, but I have no records about the handling and if the zooming in and out was going on my nerves as well.
I only thought about it, because of the similarities. But nevertheless i really like driving in Factorio. Although I am not very good at it. I'm lacking the fine tuning I guess ... so I often tend to crash into stuff ^^

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

It's all about slightly tapping the A and D keys. I'm not sure if the handling actually gets less sensitive at high speeds, but if it does, the difference is pretty damn minimal.

It's possible to get used to, but requires some determination.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Fortresscraft Evolved. In fact the Developer heavily inspired by Factorio.

lxl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lxl »

Settlers(2).
The economy is "automated" and your job is proper connection between "producers, converters and end-users".
e.g. you mine coal and iron ore. then you smelt it to iron, then you forge it to weapons.
It also allows cooperative multiplayer.

And if focusses on logistics / avoiding jam.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

While it isn't necessarily an whole base management game, I would like to mention Timber and Stone. Very similar to Gnomoria and Dwarf Fortress which were both mentioned, so figured I would point out T&S as well.
Image Image Image

Exeon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Exeon »

Enemy Nations is similar although somewhat older.

http://www.enemynations.com/thegame/art.html

You choose a location to land your ship.
Collect resources.
Build roads
Instead of belts to move resources around there are cargo trucks

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

lxl wrote:Settlers(2).
The economy is "automated" and your job is proper connection between "producers, converters and end-users".
e.g. you mine coal and iron ore. then you smelt it to iron, then you forge it to weapons.
It also allows cooperative multiplayer.

And if focusses on logistics / avoiding jam.
Brings back quite some memories :)

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

Tinyboss wrote:
nobodx wrote:If you mention gnomoria, you must also say Dwarfen Fortress
I was just reading through this thread again, thinking, "what, nobody has mentioned Dwarf Fortress?!" And I got scooped in the last post.

For anyone who doesn't know DF, just imagine Factorio, with incomprehensible ASCII graphics, the factory is dug out of a mountain, and it runs completely on logistic bots. But the bots are slow, cranky, and have to be drunk all the time or they eventually kill each other.

Ahah ASCII graphic mod for Factorio <3
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

capSAR
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by capSAR »

I saw someone recommend Gnomoria, and I suggest you check out Dwarf Fortress also. It's the 2-D original that has been around for a long time, and is very enjoyable (on top of being free and under development still!). I can't wait to dig into Factorio, as I enjoy incremental games and someone recommended I check this one out :D

Sebb767
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sebb767 »

IC² (Industrial Craft 2), http://www.industrial-craft.net/. A minecraft mod which seems abandoned now, but I simply loved it. Factorio reminds me of it often, but it is more focused on the energy network than on resource harvesting. Still the best minecraft mod IMO, especially in combination with BuildCraft.

Return to “Off topic”