Ideas and suggestions

New energy types, decorations, electric train, new types of belts and inserters, bigger inventory and many more stuff.

Moderators: McGuten, odin_spain

McGuten
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Ideas and suggestions

Post by McGuten »

== 5dim's mod ==

You can post here ideas and suggestions for discusion
Ready for implementation
Not implemented

HenryFrood
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Ideas and suggestions

Post by HenryFrood »

I think you could simplify the names a bit to make them easier to read.

You have three inserter lengths: "basic long", "long" and "extreme long".
"Basic long" should become the default (=empty string) and the longest "extra long". ("Extremely long" is also grammatical.)
Same goes for speed, let the first speed be the default.

"Close" sounds a bit strange, too. The opposite of "far" is usualy "near", but that is nitpicking.

However "fluid tank to ground" sounds really weird. (just as as the original game's pipes). "Underground fluid tank" would be a better choice.

McGuten
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by McGuten »

HenryFrood wrote:I think you could simplify the names a bit to make them easier to read.

You have three inserter lengths: "basic long", "long" and "extreme long".
"Basic long" should become the default (=empty string) and the longest "extra long". ("Extremely long" is also grammatical.)
Same goes for speed, let the first speed be the default.

"Close" sounds a bit strange, too. The opposite of "far" is usualy "near", but that is nitpicking.

However "fluid tank to ground" sounds really weird. (just as as the original game's pipes). "Underground fluid tank" would be a better choice.
Tanks you, i will fix on next release ^^

Darloth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darloth »

Purely opinion, but your increased inventory size in core is TOO big of an increase.

For vanilla factorio, the default size is fine.

With increased stack sizes, the vanilla size lets you carry loads.

With mods that add new items, perhaps a bit more is good, yes... but you've got it three times the size of default, it's not easily modifiable after game start (is it? could be wrong here) and more to the point - it's in a core dependency that I HAVE to install if I want to use your other mods. I can see why you want it here, but that means it's not optional.

I know I can change it by editing the file, and I do, but I have to do this for every version you release. Still, if you really want it that big I don't have a good argument why not - just thought you'd like some feedback that it's surprising and not everyone wants loads of room :)

McGuten
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by McGuten »

Darloth wrote:Purely opinion, but your increased inventory size in core is TOO big of an increase.

For vanilla factorio, the default size is fine.

With increased stack sizes, the vanilla size lets you carry loads.

With mods that add new items, perhaps a bit more is good, yes... but you've got it three times the size of default, it's not easily modifiable after game start (is it? could be wrong here) and more to the point - it's in a core dependency that I HAVE to install if I want to use your other mods. I can see why you want it here, but that means it's not optional.

I know I can change it by editing the file, and I do, but I have to do this for every version you release. Still, if you really want it that big I don't have a good argument why not - just thought you'd like some feedback that it's surprising and not everyone wants loads of room :)
I decrease inventory size in next release, for my also is too big (i think is for new version of factorio) but i do it ^^

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

I'm here mostly for the trains. I'm also editing data.lua and removing the "require("prototypes.changes")" line. I love the additions but I don't like changing the default stack/inventory size.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

XxNeeD4BlooDxX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by XxNeeD4BlooDxX »

wouldnt it be possible to make a research (or multiple) to increase the inventory size? Like the logistics space on ur inventory, or the trash space on the newer Factorio Versions 0.12.x! At least ppl can play the way they want and increase their inventory as needed, like 10/20 extra slots per research

Been loving trains in factorio for a long time as well, even more so with ur trains module!! would it be possible to add some way to make the train leave a station when wagons are full/emply instead of just waiting time, or (can be negleted but) go refuel themselves at refuel stations (if someone has them) when needed?

90º inserters for extreme speed inserters!!

for now, thats all, might come back for more suggestions if i get any ideas

Over'N'Out

McGuten
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by McGuten »

MasterBuilder wrote:I'm here mostly for the trains. I'm also editing data.lua and removing the "require("prototypes.changes")" line. I love the additions but I don't like changing the default stack/inventory size.
Okey, you are free for do it ^^
XxNeeD4BlooDxX wrote:wouldnt it be possible to make a research (or multiple) to increase the inventory size? Like the logistics space on ur inventory, or the trash space on the newer Factorio Versions 0.12.x! At least ppl can play the way they want and increase their inventory as needed, like 10/20 extra slots per research

Been loving trains in factorio for a long time as well, even more so with ur trains module!! would it be possible to add some way to make the train leave a station when wagons are full/emply instead of just waiting time, or (can be negleted but) go refuel themselves at refuel stations (if someone has them) when needed?

90º inserters for extreme speed inserters!!

for now, thats all, might come back for more suggestions if i get any ideas

Over'N'Out
We are think about make a "player" module, just for it.
Maybe we could improve things for player (speed crafting, speed walking...)

sadris
Inserter
Inserter

Post by sadris »

Nice mods! Really like the train module.

It would be nice if there was a config.lua to disable certain parts of the modules. i.e.: I want to use DyTech assembly machines, but your inserters and belts.

McGuten
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by McGuten »

sadris wrote:Nice mods! Really like the train module.

It would be nice if there was a config.lua to disable certain parts of the modules. i.e.: I want to use DyTech assembly machines, but your inserters and belts.
You can do it in "data.lua" comment lines of you dont need (you can comment usage -- before lane, IE: --require(prototypes.xxxxxxxxx.lua)

AlexTheNotsogreat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AlexTheNotsogreat »

I think it would be cool to add in a few new ores to the mod. Not like 10 like in Bob's mods or DyTech, but adding in a couple more would be nice, since making an entire factory out of Iron/copper products seems a bit odd to me.

Also, trying to make the Circuits have more detailed textures than the three cables and colored plate.

That's it for me, and I LOVE the work in this mod, with the epic textures, tech, and content in general

McGuten
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by McGuten »

AlexTheNotsogreat wrote:I think it would be cool to add in a few new ores to the mod. Not like 10 like in Bob's mods or DyTech, but adding in a couple more would be nice, since making an entire factory out of Iron/copper products seems a bit odd to me.

Also, trying to make the Circuits have more detailed textures than the three cables and colored plate.

That's it for me, and I LOVE the work in this mod, with the epic textures, tech, and content in general
Yeah, we will work on it soon ^^

And we are so happy when someone tell us something about work in the mod, thanks you

AlexTheNotsogreat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AlexTheNotsogreat »

McGuten wrote: Yeah, we will work on it soon ^^

And we are so happy when someone tell us something about work in the mod, thanks you
Yea, the unique textures on the refineries, assemblers, and everything is why I like these mods over Bobs'/DyTech modpacks. And it's nice to know you'll be working on that!

HellNeko
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HellNeko »

I like the trains and cargo wagons form this mod but one thing that gets me is that it overwrite the stock diesel engine and cargo wagon skins with a noticeable gap in the skin image where they should be coupled/connected. would it be possible to make the steam engine and new cargo wagon it on item and have redone connection point to look better or the skin redone to fix the gap look between train cars/engines and a tender for the steam engine would be nice to have because it look weird with just the steam engine and no sign of where the water and coal is stored on the engine its self when you have the steam engine skin. the tender can have a small inventory to store extra coal or you can try to make it functional to pull coal form it to power the engine and maybe add where you need water/water barrel. that why there is then 3 engines steam, diesel, and electric.

http://imgur.com/FMpuTct
http://imgur.com/HEPovpD

safan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by safan »

i was trying out the vehicle part, and the truck was not what i expected:

For the truck i'd like a much bigger storage (like 3x tank), very slow on soil but pretty decent on beton floor. I planned to use the truck for not much needed ores in bob's, that don't need the train capacity.

I would set up a mining outpost, lay a road towards it, and once every few hours i would drive to and back to the main base.

McGuten
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by McGuten »

safan wrote:i was trying out the vehicle part, and the truck was not what i expected:

For the truck i'd like a much bigger storage (like 3x tank), very slow on soil but pretty decent on beton floor. I planned to use the truck for not much needed ores in bob's, that don't need the train capacity.

I would set up a mining outpost, lay a road towards it, and once every few hours i would drive to and back to the main base.

Well, i think it is a good change, in next release for vehicles ^^

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ringkeeper »

may i suggest a tanker for the train pack? I know there is already such mod, but a) it does not get developed further and has some bugs b) doesn't fit graficaly to your cargo trains.

McGuten
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by McGuten »

Ringkeeper wrote:may i suggest a tanker for the train pack? I know there is already such mod, but a) it does not get developed further and has some bugs b) doesn't fit graficaly to your cargo trains.

For the next factorio's version they will change trains system, we will wait for 0.13 for continue writing more code on trains module

EmperorZelos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EmperorZelos »

A suggestion is to have it work with smart-trains where you have carts for trains that can both request and have bots take out of it. So you can set one station where everything is being expelled that it is currently carrying and once it's empty it switches over to requesting what it is supposed to request.

EmperorZelos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EmperorZelos »

Also smart splitters or the likes, where one way is an input and hten you have 3 directions that you can split items into

Return to “5dim's mod”