How change settings in a mod?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Redpossum
Inserter
Inserter

How change settings in a mod?

Post by Redpossum »

Many mods state that a user can change the settings, but I haven't seen any explanation of HOW. Can someone please explain this to me? Do I need to open the zip file and edit the settings.lua file, changing the default, or is there an interface, or what?

I have a good understanding of file manipulation, the file/directory structure, etc.

************EDIT*****************

F*** me running, I found it. Factorio ---> Settings ---> Mod Settings

With all due respect, I would politely suggest that this information should be more prominently posted. I spent a full hour trying to search up an answer to this question...

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How change settings in a mod?

Post by valneq »

When you start a new game, there is an additional "Mod Settings" button at the bottom of the map generator which leads you to that very same menu. Never noticed it is there?

Redpossum
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Redpossum »

Well, no, but I've only started a new game once :D

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

There are a lot of unintuitive behaviors that aren't prominently advertised:

- The mod settings you select in the main menu generally only affect new games.
- Each save stores its own copy of the mod settings from when it was created. Changing the settings from the pause menu in-game only changes them for that save.
- Startup settings are stored per save and can't be changed while playing the save. But they can be changed for an existing save if you change them in the main menu, restart Factorio to apply them, and load the save without synchronizing mods (or unchecking the "sync mod settings" box).
- Mods can change each other's mod setting prototypes (name, description, and default), but they cannot forcibly alter the selections made by the user for a particular instance of the game.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

robot256 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:40 pm
another: when you change the map settings and click "Mod settings" button to modify them before finalising the new game, the whole game restarts and the modifications to map settings are reset to defaults.

honestly, they need to let us save map presets.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

robot256 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:40 pm

- The mod settings you select in the main menu generally only affect new games.
- Each save stores its own copy of the mod settings from when it was created. Changing the settings from the pause menu in-game only changes them for that save.
- Startup settings are stored per save and can't be changed while playing the save. But they can be changed for an existing save if you change them in the main menu, restart Factorio to apply them, and load the save without synchronizing mods (or unchecking the "sync mod settings" box).
Sounds like it would help you to disable this setting:
- Mods can change each other's mod setting prototypes (name, description, and default), but they cannot forcibly alter the selections made by the user for a particular instance of the game.
They can force settings to only have one possible value/use forced_value for bool settings to force setting values for mod compatibility.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Return to “Modding discussion”