[1.0.0] Inserters placing plates onto full belt. Not sure if plates are lost or not.

Bugs that are actually features.
UndeadHumanity
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.0.0] Inserters placing plates onto full belt. Not sure if plates are lost or not.

Post by UndeadHumanity »

I've noticed that a few inserters are placing copper plates in one of my builds onto a full lane of plates. The furnaces directly above are not placing due to full lane. I was able to stop this once by replacing a furnace but couldn't replicate it again after a few tries. This is an unmodded game.

I'm not sure if the file I attached worked but I have the video on a reddit post. https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... full_lane/

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.0.0] Inserters placing plates onto full belt. Not sure if plates are lost or not.

Post by jodokus31 »

Inserters can fill little gaps, if there are any. The previous items are then pushed back a bit.
The copper cable line pulls in bulk and some micro gaps may happen.

I don't think anything is wrong, but i'm not sure.

UndeadHumanity
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [1.0.0] Inserters placing plates onto full belt. Not sure if plates are lost or not.

Post by UndeadHumanity »

I was unaware of that. I guess since visually its full and the few furnaces above it where not doing it I was thinking its a bug.

UndeadHumanity
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by UndeadHumanity »

At the suggestion of someone on reddit I'm including the save. Although the discussion on reddit has led me to see this might not actually be a bug due to the full belt having a bend immediately after the inserters in question. Could have something to do with speed of belts and small gaps but I am unsure.

Here is the save. It only happens where I am making green science.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1becwmyz43q2 ... a.zip?dl=0

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

Yes, even tiny gaps will be filled. If the belts are not completely full (not fully compressed) and there is even the tiniest gap between items, inserters will always consider that as a valid space to place an item and delay the rest of the items for a fraction of a second, enough to create room for one full item, and in turn, fully compress that part of the belt.

With turns, there are some conditions where multiple items can be stacked on top of each other (almost always due to manually rotating the end of a belt in a way that forces extra items onto it) but they're not lost. I think if that is then released onto a straight section, the overlap is then undone.

Return to “Not a bug”