electric network info (p key)

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
oyunbagimlisi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

electric network info (p key)

Post by oyunbagimlisi »

Steam engine: 900 kW x 57 PIECE = 51.3 Mw
Steam turbine: 5.82 MW x 27 PIECE = 157,14 Mv
(S. engine+turbine) = 208, 44 Mw

in the section, on the side that says a / b;

a, (instant production);

b max. (potential) energy production

wasn't it?

In this case, the total should be (S. engine + turbine) = 208.44 Mw; What is the reason for showing 141 Mj?
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=105093
Beacon domain & Cable access area coloring (Color Tone variations)

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: electric network info (p key)

Post by Serenity »

I don't see centrifuges there. Are you using the steam turbines with nuclear reactors? You can use them with boilers, but they won't be giving you their maximum power. With cooler steam they are only as good as 2 steam engines

oyunbagimlisi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by oyunbagimlisi »

yes, there are no "centrifuges". I am not extracting uranium right now. I still did "Steam turbine" for space gain. I use coal as fuel. I actually produce solid fuel, but it doesn't catch up, I couldn't set up the system somehow. Anyway, to conclude: Should I calculate from (900x2 = 1.8 Mj) the steam turbine?

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

You can check the turbines: hover over them with the cursor and look at "available power" in the tooltip. If you provide steam to the turbines that is too cold, or not enough steam, the available power will be less than maximum power. And the electric network info shows (used power)/(available power) under "Production". I guess the tooltip is misleading.

oyunbagimlisi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by oyunbagimlisi »

thank you.

oyunbagimlisi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by oyunbagimlisi »

I'm curse right now. My whole system has crashed. There is only 10 minutes between two pictures. But the energy used is 2.5 Gw in the first picture. In my save file showing 10 minutes ago, 134 Mw. During the game it is always 100 mw. showed in levels. (approx) I did not build anything new. The amount of energy used is very, very different. The first picture shows my "real" energy need after my entire system has collapsed. When I went a little older than the log files, he showed me very little of that amount - even throughout the whole game. I did not build any more "steam engine turbines" either. My first question on this page was about the wrong representation of the energy I am generating. But I understand that the energy used in the game is also very wrong.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Yeah there is some weirdness with the produced and consumed power in some cases :?

Coal power can have difficulties restarting itself because a brownout will also slow down the miners and inserters.

I see you're using yellow inserters and blue belts. That can cause issues too. Yellow inserters are fast enough to pick up items from a compressed and stopped blue belt, but are too slow when the items are moving fast. Generally a red belt of coal can supply 67 boilers, so blue isn't really needed when you have 20 boilers on either side.
This is an application where burner inserters and slower belt can be better. It's also possible to put the inserters on their own solar powered grid so they always work

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Firstly some buildings have an internal energy buffer. Laser turrets need 800 kJ per shot, so I expect they have an internal buffer of at least 800kJ, since that way they can fire without requiring 800 kJ from the electric network in one tick.

Now if we assume that laser turrets have an 800 kJ internal buffer, and 50 of your laser turrets have their internal buffer empty, then their electric energy demand is 50x800kJ = 40 MJ in one tick (1/60th of a second = 16.66 milliseconds = 0.01666seconds). 40 MJ / 0.01666 seconds equals 2.4 GW. I think that is why your power demand looks so bad in the first screenshot. (In reality probably only some of your laser turrets have empty buffers, some will have partially empty buffers, and some other buildings will also have empty buffers).

The second image shows that you were already experiencing a critical power crisis ten minutes earlier. Power production is at only 40% of demand. That means that things like coal miners, chem plants producing solid fuel, and electrically powered inserters and water pumps are only running at about 40% speeds. That means you are highly likely to have boilers running short of coal/solid fuel (and/or water if using electric pumps to pump water for power production). This will probably lead to a feedback loop where a shortage of power leads to a shortage of some resource needed for power production, leading to even lower power production, until your steam power plants endup shutting down. (Being short on power doesn't always lead to a feedback loop. If you have enough surplus coal miners and/or use priority splitters to prioritise coal to the boilers, and avoid using electric powered pumps for power production, you will often be alright even when demand significantly exceeds supply. The feedback loop only kicks in when low power leads to a shortage of the resources needed to produce power).

74 steam engines should produce 66.6MW of power. However they are only producing 40.9 MW. Since there is unsatisfied demand, that means that at least some of your steam engines are short on steam.

The math for the steam turbines also shows that they aren't working at full power either. Steam turbines are rated for 5.82MW of power, but that is when they are consuming steam at 500 degrees Celsius. But normal boilers only produce steam at 165 degrees Celsius. If I've got the figures right that means steam turbines fed by normal boilers produce 1.8MW. (ie they consume the same steam as two steam engines, and produce same power as those two steam engines).

Assuming all 27 steam engines are using 165 degree steam, they should produce 48.6MW. However they are only producing 13.2MW so they are also short on steam.

Note that theoretical production at night (ie excluding the solar panels) is only 115.2MW, which is less than the demand of 134 MW. 21 solar panels only adds another 1.26MW during daylight, so even if everything is working, you were already short on power.

So even at the time of the second screenshot it looks like you are critically short on power, and that shortage is already affecting power production, and unless you take action it will lead to your base virtually shutting down.

oyunbagimlisi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by oyunbagimlisi »

First of all, I would like to thank both of you for the carefully prepared answers.

actually the first picture was taken in the "biting / enemy" attack. Picture 2 is about 10 minutes from now. ''pre''. So I blew really bad already. The whole defense was with lasers. When there was no electricity ....... I made a ceasefire for the enemy / player from the map editor.

My guess is this; some assembly machines - even many - are out of order due to lack of materials such as iron or copper. and some miners do not work constantly due to full belts. probably mislead me, the screen; indicates the energy needs of many machines and miners when inactive. Whenever I rectify the lack of material, or open the belts and make the miners work, the need for electricity reflects the real / much higher need.

Yes, I was getting "low power" warning from time to time, but this was happening when there was not enough coals to the boilers and it was short. but I have never received such a prolonged warning over a wide period of time.

Therefore, I did not deal with building new boilers / steam engines or solar panels, as if I do not need electrical power. I could not organize the base because of chasing enemies anyway.

Anyway, I'm in the learning phase, but it is a fact that the knowledge of electricity is really inaccurate and very misleading.

oyunbagimlisi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by oyunbagimlisi »

oyunbagimlisi wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:30 pm
First of all, I would like to thank both of you for the carefully prepared answers.

actually the first picture was taken in the "biting / enemy" attack. Picture 2 is about 10 minutes from now. ''pre''. So I blew really bad already. The whole defense was with lasers. When there was no electricity ....... I made a ceasefire for the enemy / player from the map editor.

My guess is this; some assembly machines - even many - are out of order due to lack of materials such as iron or copper. and some miners do not work constantly due to full belts. probably mislead me, the screen; indicates the energy needs of many machines and miners when inactive. Whenever I rectify the lack of material, or open the belts and make the miners work, the need for electricity reflects the real / much higher need.

Yes, I was getting "low power" warning from time to time, but this was happening when there was not enough coals to the boilers and it was short. but I have never received such a prolonged warning over a wide period of time.

Therefore, I did not deal with building new boilers / steam engines or solar panels, as if I do not need electrical power. I could not organize the base because of chasing enemies anyway.

Anyway, I'm in the learning phase, but it is a fact that the knowledge of electricity is really inaccurate and very misleading.

in short: the required max. need; actually true max. not needed.

Example: You have 50 "copper cable" assembly machines. for example, 30 of them are missing the "copper plate" content. There are only "copper plates" for 20 machines. As far as I understand it, here's the whole problem - misleading - thing on the account here. Energy required for 20 machines shown in the game. 30 of them are not included in this account if they are not working at the moment. Whenever the 50/50 machine gets a "copper plate" and they all work properly, then the electricity is insufficient. I think this is what misled me. So I think it's calculated like this.

Return to “Gameplay Help”