Purchasing game from website

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
filenotfound
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Purchasing game from website

Post by filenotfound »

Sorry in advanced if this isn't correct place or if its been asked before.

If I purchase from this website, is the game I get DRM-free? If so, is it also able to be played completely single player, completely offline? Meaning I download the installer, put it on a usb drive and connect it to a non-internet connected pc, can i install, launch and play the game without any requirement for sign-in or downloading after install?

I was going to buy from GoG, but reviews stated the game never gets updated on gog. I also read the gog version requires a sign-in as well. I'd love to buy directly from website and get a drm-free copy of the game and give the devs to get the full cut from the game. The free steam key is also great, as if i wanted to play multiplayer, I could, but want a drm-free version to play solo (i don't like steam's tracking of what games i play and for how long).

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Purchasing game from website

Post by MEOWMI »

Yes, it is DRM-free and can be run offline without any problems (just like games should be!)

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Note: You need to log in with an account to download mods in-game. This should be obvious but hey :) You are free to download and maintain your mods manually if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

I think you need to be logged in to your Factorio account to play multiplayer but I never play multiplayer so I don't know the details.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

If you buy from GOG, you can still register on the Factorio web site and download updated versions. I don't know whether GOG gets the experimental versions or not, but I bought the game from GOG originally and I'm on the experimental versions after I registered on factorio.com.

Of course, I expect that if you buy directly from the Factorio web site, the developers get more money.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Also, you get a complete copy of the game, and you never need to be connected except to download updates.

Also, you can download any version of the game from the current 0.18.x experimental all the way back to 0.6.4.

So I guess it depends on what you mean by DRM, but if you mean "the ability to take away your ability to play the game," then no, Wube Software doesn't do that.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

5thHorseman wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:18 am
I think you need to be logged in to your Factorio account to play multiplayer but I never play multiplayer so I don't know the details.
There's always the possibility to play multiplayer in a LAN -- without connecting to Factorio. (Although strictly a singleplayer user, I know that from testing my mods for desyncs.)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

You need an account to access the mods portal and the multiplayer matching server. Both of these are additional services provided by Factorio.com so I can't really blame Wube for limiting them to verified customers.

But the game itself does not require any kind of activation, and you can still install mods manually (assuming anyone posted them elsewhere) or play multiplayer using a direct IP connection.

Return to “General discussion”