[0.18.26] Font sometimes breakes in Save/Load dialogs

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Artyom
Inserter
Inserter

[0.18.26] Font sometimes breakes in Save/Load dialogs

Post by Artyom »

Sometimes this issue appears in Save/Load dialogs. It is strange but switching between the applications restores the labels for some period of time.
Attachments
broken_fonts.jpg
broken_fonts.jpg (493.25 KiB) Viewed 2040 times

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.18.26] Font sometimes breakes in Save/Load dialogs

Post by valneq »

To me this looks like an issue related to graphics drivers. I saw similar font rendering issues in a different game a while ago. Can you please post a logfile?
This explains where to find your logfile:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Log_file

Artyom
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Artyom »

No problem.

P.S. I use the latest Intel graphics driver available for my Windows 7.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Artyom wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:27 pm
No problem.

In order to confirm that this is indeed not a game issue, would you mind providing a logfile?

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Artyom wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:27 pm
No problem.

Wait … you say Windows 7? You do know that Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, and most likely you will run into a lot of issues in the near future.

Artyom
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Artyom »

Forgot to attach a log-file.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(6.78 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

Artyom
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Artyom »

valneq wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:43 pm
Wait … you say Windows 7? You do know that Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, and most likely you will run into a lot of issues in the near future.
1. You aren't the developer to really know where the root of the issue is.
2. I know that Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft. So what? If the problem is related to the Intel driver, it doesn't matter.

Please dont' try to seem an expert. :) I would like to receive a response from the developers.

Artyom
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Artyom »

It seems the problem was due one of the graphics settings. By default "Video memory usage" parameter was set to "High" option. I changed it to "Medium" value and after that the artefacts didn't appear anymore.

Please check that.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

It's strange in that it fixes itself without restarting the game. Probably some intel graphics driver issue.

However, your laptop has also dedicated nvidia card in it, so the game should not run on the integrated Intel GPU. You might need to open nVidia Control Panel and set High Performance profile for factorio.exe.

Artyom
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Artyom »

posila wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:22 pm
It's strange in that it fixes itself without restarting the game. Probably some intel graphics driver issue.

However, your laptop has also dedicated nvidia card in it, so the game should not run on the integrated Intel GPU. You might need to open nVidia Control Panel and set High Performance profile for factorio.exe.
Surely I restarted the game. There is the notification beside that parameter.
But I think that the problem is in the game because:
1. it set that parameter to a specific value itself
2. it should check that video memory is not enough
3. only that labels were broken, other ones were normal
4. in addition sometimes the map changed its colors (I sent the screenshot to the e-mail)

Yes, my laptop has gybrid graphics. But by default the game starts using integrated GPU. I tryed to use the dedicated video card. It leads to heating of the system and respectively to constant noise from fans. Almost in all cases Intel graphics has enough power to satisfy the game requirements.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Artyom wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:17 pm
Yes, my laptop has gybrid graphics. But by default the game starts using integrated GPU. I tryed to use the dedicated video card. It leads to heating of the system and respectively to constant noise from fans. Almost in all cases Intel graphics has enough power to satisfy the game requirements.
Ok, fair enough.
Artyom wrote: But I think that the problem is in the game because:
1. it set that parameter to a specific value itself
2. it should check that video memory is not enough
3. only that labels were broken, other ones were normal
4. in addition sometimes the map changed its colors (I sent the screenshot to the e-mail)
I think that the problem is not in the game because:
First and foremost, this is only report of such problem nor I have ever seen this issue to happen on any other computer.

With integrated GPU, 50% of RAM is available for use as "video memory", which in your case would be 8 GB. Despite that, you could still run out of video memory, but in which case graphics API (Direct3D) would report an error and the game would try to adjust its settings or fail to run at all.

As for default settings, "Texture compression" setting defaults to "Low Quality" for integrated GPUs and "High quality animation" is disabled by default for PCs with integrated GPUs. Since those settings don't have their default value, you might have needed to adjust video memory usage or other settings to compensate.

Map changing colors makes me more suspicious there is some issue with your computer.

Artyom
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Artyom »

OK. I can agree that Intel graphics drivers are not perfect. But the single case is not a reason to ignore it.

An interesting thing is that the same names of saved games look differently when different languages are set (see screenshot). It looks like different fonts are used for those labels. Could it be related to the issue?
Attachments
ru_fonts.jpg
ru_fonts.jpg (530.3 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
en_fonts.jpg
en_fonts.jpg (528.37 KiB) Viewed 1871 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Artyom wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:31 pm
An interesting thing is that the same names of saved games look differently when different languages are set (see screenshot). It looks like different fonts are used for those labels. Could it be related to the issue?
Default font we use doesn't have all character sets, so we use different fonts for different languages. I don't think it's related, especially since it renders broken only sometimes.
Artyom wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:31 pm
But the single case is not a reason to ignore it.
Unfortunatelly, it is, I am sorry. If I can't reproduce a strange graphical issue locally, it's basically impossible for me to do anything about it. If the issue impacts larger number of people (let's say 10+ people would report it), I could analyze what is common between computers that have the issue, and buy a computer that would have high chance of the glitch showing up. Or could it turn out it doesn't depend on HW and some installed SW causes it to happen. I can't spend significant amount of time and money on a glitch that only one person experiences.

Return to “Technical Help”