[018.18] - Random crashes

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Narcisse Catta
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[018.18] - Random crashes

Post by Narcisse Catta »

When playing I have random crashes. it can be while doing anything, fighting, building, changing recipes, being afk, anything really. Always when a map is loaded. Both in singleplayer and multiplayer. sometimes it's an issue about amd ryzen Entityrenderer, sometime it's "Unexpected error occurred" (this case), sometimes it's a crash to desktop without any error window. I lived with it so far, the crash are random in time too, sometimes no crash for hours, sometimes it crashes after 5 minutes. both with and without mods.
I already had crashes back in 0.17.x
My system is up to date, BIOS included.

Here is the link to the log for the latest crash, I can add more if needed as I get crashes quite often.

Thanks in advance.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [018.18] - Random crashes

Post by Rseding91 »

Due to where it's crashing that indicates system instability due to hardware.

You may have some faulty component or maybe something is overclocked/lose in your system.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Narcisse Catta
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Narcisse Catta »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:15 am

You may have some faulty component or maybe something is overclocked/lose in your system.
That's what I thought was happening. So I tried setting back to default cpu, ram and gpu settings, but it didn't do much unfortunately. The problem is I have no idea what component may be at fault as the computer is fairly recent.
Here is another crash report, a different error this time.

Is there any way for me to know which component is faulty? or anyone I could ask?
thanks for your answer.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Narcisse Catta wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:15 pm
Rseding91 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:15 am

That's what I thought was happening. So I tried setting back to default cpu, ram and gpu settings, but it didn't do much unfortunately. The problem is I have no idea what component may be at fault as the computer is fairly recent.
Here is another crash report, a different error this time.

Is there any way for me to know which component is faulty? or anyone I could ask?
thanks for your answer.
Not really. The only 2 known causes I know of are: outdated chipset/bios drivers and overclocking the CPU/RAM/Motherboard.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Rseding91 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:24 pm
Not really. The only 2 known causes I know of are: outdated chipset/bios drivers and overclocking the CPU/RAM/Motherboard.
How do (or can) you tell CPU/BIOS from memory errors?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:10 am
Rseding91 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:24 pm
How do (or can) you tell CPU/BIOS from memory errors?
Because we found that out of all the crashes in that area of code *all* of them were on Ryzen CPUs and so we sent the issue over to AMD and they confirmed it was an issue with the CPU/BIOS/Chipset and issued an update to resolve the problem.

At least, the majority of them stopped after they released that update. Meanwhile we've seen it 1-2 times since on non-ryzen CPUs.

Narcisse Catta
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Narcisse Catta »

I'm back with a partial answer! I tried many things before finding something working: my current solution is to lower the number of max render threads to 4 threads instead of 12. The game is as smooth as always (even when modded and high-res textures) and I didn't get a single crash since and after many (too much?) hours of gameplay.

I'll stress test each core to see which one is faulty as it seems to be the issue.
Thanks for the answers and the continuous updates even during these trying times <3

Return to “Technical Help”