"Sync mod versions" option when loading a save

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

prdfndr
Inserter
Inserter

"Sync mod versions" option when loading a save

Post by prdfndr »

TL;DR
Some mods become incompatible with updates. This makes going between different games with different mod versions a painful task, since the mod versions cannot be changed automatically.
What ?
Make a "Sync mod versions" checkbox in the "sync mods with save" menu. Or make a separate button near each mod
mod sync.jpg
mod sync.jpg (69.02 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
Why ?
Will make going between saves much easier with less restarts

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: "Sync mod versions" option when loading a save

Post by ickputzdirwech »

+1 this would definitely be helpful. I can't remember how often I switched between versions of the game and it took me ages to realise that my base was broken because I didn't manually change the versions of 20+ mods.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

If a mod breaks a save on update, this is definitely a bug. File a report to the mod author and wait for a fix implementing proper migration.
Mod updates that can't be made to properly migrate old saves aren't actually updates and should never be deployed as such. They are new mods and should come with a new name.

prdfndr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by prdfndr »

Oktokolo wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:53 am
If a mod breaks a save on update, this is definitely a bug. File a report to the mod author and wait for a fix implementing proper migration.
Mod updates that can't be made to properly migrate old saves aren't actually updates and should never be deployed as such. They are new mods and should come with a new name.
Still would be nice to have such option. Mods also go through their alpha/beta versions in which they may become incompatible with other mods and the author is content with it, or plans to fix it "some time later". There are also mod testers, for whom the situation of mods becoming incompatible is completely regular. And sometimes you just dont want to play the latest update, because it breaks some features/exploits, on which you relied in your factory (and you are completely content with them)

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

prdfndr wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:39 pm
Oktokolo wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:53 am
Still would be nice to have such option. Mods also go through their alpha/beta versions in which they may become incompatible with other mods and the author is content with it, or plans to fix it "some time later". There are also mod testers, for whom the situation of mods becoming incompatible is completely regular. And sometimes you just dont want to play the latest update, because it breaks some features/exploits, on which you relied in your factory (and you are completely content with them)
and other times you want to try to reproduce an issue on an old save with previous version of mod.

really there are many good reasons to do this.

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Still a good idea, would like to see this.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Not sure, if this is really a good idea. Because it elaborates things, that should just work and gives the user an option he/she normally cannot decide.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

ssilk wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:38 am
Not sure, if this is really a good idea. Because it elaborates things, that should just work and gives the user an option he/she normally cannot decide.
Sorry, I don't think I understand what you mean.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ok, I try my best ;) :
If a standard gamer would have an option to sync mod versions when he/she loads a game, I'm not sure if she/he understoods what to click or not to click. There is the wrong place to do this, there is no information of what are the consequences. This is against common UX.

In other words:
How should that help? It could make things much more worse if I downgrade to an old but broken mod or load old mods, which are incompatible with the current Factorio version. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”