Factoria - IN DEVELOPMENT

Topics and discussion about specific mods
TheLastRonin
Inserter
Inserter

Factoria - IN DEVELOPMENT

Post by TheLastRonin »

Hi I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm TheLastRonin and I've done some relatively extensive modding for the game Dwarf Fortress over at the Bay 12 forums. Recently I've picked up Factorio and I love it! One problem I had though was I always seemed to run out of techs to progress through and I felt that it is perhaps too easy to automate things starting out... Sometimes skipping over things like burner inserters entirely...

I wanted to create a new technology tree from the ground up (starting even without the ability to build stone tools initially) that expanded through the manual and labor intensive processes of the Stone Age all the way to technology which is beyond what Factorio currently offers late game.

This mod is not for everyone, it does make the early game considerably less automatized, I know this is not for everyone but I am first modding for myself as much if not more than anybody else. I do not know LUA but I am slowly learning how to do basic scripting for the game.

Early tech progression has been completely replaced by a building called the alchemical lab which advances technology through the four ancient elements; earth, fire, air and water. I am trying to create new graphics for as much of the game as I can rather than simply recoloring everything but this is proving to be a very time consuming process... Here are a few screens of what I have done so far... PS - I know the art is terrible... I am terrible at art...

New research category tab showing the colors of the four alchemical elements:

New clay icon:

Clay crucible off and on animations:

ImageImage

Alchemical lab off and on animations:

ImageImage

All images are created using textures and sources which are licensed for free distribution.

I will update this post at a later date with more information.

If anybody desires to contribute ideas or art I am frequently on the IRC channel... Would appreciate a chat with anyone :).

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Factoria - IN DEVELOPMENT

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

I like the Idea but Cartmen does something similar or the stone age mod. I don't want to say that there is no need for your mod I just want to inform you that you don't clone something.

The lab graphic looks like a tent from asterx & obelix.

TheLastRonin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheLastRonin »

SuperSandro2000 wrote:I like the Idea but Cartmen does something similar or the stone age mod. I don't want to say that there is no need for your mod I just want to inform you that you don't clone something.

All mods have similarities and differences. Just like you can have two movies from the action genre or two games from the RTS genre that share similarities but provide different experiences so too I think you can have two Factorio mods that have similar aims, as both your mod and the Treefarm mod are both about growing trees, but also have slightly different aims.

I have found from the places and games that I have modded before that most modders are generally happy to see new mods spring up because:

A) Most modders do not attempt to monetize their work.
B) More modding can only benefit the community.

Actually from where I come from (Bay 12), while I was modding most modders allowed their work to be shared and manipulated freely by other modders in order to benefit the community. I don't know if that's the case here or not but if I want to include something from someone elses mod I send a PM asking for permission.

I assure you that the tent while not an created from the ground up is not from Astrix & Obelisk... All art assets are a mixture of my own creations and public domain works.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

Most folks don't try to make money off their mods, no. But if you want your mod to be freely redistributable, make sure to include an appropriate licence. The community isn't anywhere near large enough to make monetising plausible, anyway.

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by katyal »

Degraine wrote:Most folks don't try to make money off their mods, no. But if you want your mod to be freely redistributable, make sure to include an appropriate licence. The community isn't anywhere near large enough to make monetising plausible, anyway.
Yet!!!

Just kidding!, I hope we can all continue to share in generous modders excellent work

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

TheLastRonin wrote:
SuperSandro2000 wrote:I like the Idea but Cartmen does something similar or the stone age mod. I don't want to say that there is no need for your mod I just want to inform you that you don't clone something.

All mods have similarities and differences. Just like you can have two movies from the action genre or two games from the RTS genre that share similarities but provide different experiences so too I think you can have two Factorio mods that have similar aims, as both your mod and the Treefarm mod are both about growing trees, but also have slightly different aims.

I have found from the places and games that I have modded before that most modders are generally happy to see new mods spring up because:

A) Most modders do not attempt to monetize their work.
B) More modding can only benefit the community.

Actually from where I come from (Bay 12), while I was modding most modders allowed their work to be shared and manipulated freely by other modders in order to benefit the community. I don't know if that's the case here or not but if I want to include something from someone elses mod I send a PM asking for permission.

I assure you that the tent while not an created from the ground up is not from Astrix & Obelisk... All art assets are a mixture of my own creations and public domain works.
I just wanted that you know that these things are out there. I like when you have the choose between different mods that are doing the same thing different.

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

I am looking forward to see how this mod turns out :)
Check out my mods

TheLastRonin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheLastRonin »

cartmen180 wrote:I am looking forward to see how this mod turns out :)
I've hit a snag with electricity... I want to create a watermill and windmill... The windmill I've got down but the watermill is proving impossible to implement without the use of a boiler + pipes (neither of which I want).

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

TheLastRonin wrote:
I've hit a snag with electricity... I want to create a watermill and windmill... The windmill I've got down but the watermill is proving impossible to implement without the use of a boiler + pipes (neither of which I want).
I have been playing around with fluids these last few days, i might be able to help you out. What do you want the watermill to do? Take water in and output electricity? Or does it also have to output water?
Check out my mods

TheLastRonin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheLastRonin »

cartmen180 wrote:
TheLastRonin wrote:
I have been playing around with fluids these last few days, i might be able to help you out. What do you want the watermill to do? Take water in and output electricity? Or does it also have to output water?
Just take water in and output electricity or preferably just stick to a coastal tile like a pump and output electricity.

Return to “Mods”