[0.18.3] New Biter sound makes it feel like i am killing a dog thats bad

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
XenoCyber
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.18.3] New Biter sound makes it feel like i am killing a dog thats bad

Post by XenoCyber »

The new biter sound sounds like a dog. Makes me feel like the biters are dogs not alien. I have no desire to kill dogs and I think its a bad sound.
For contrast the Spitter sound i think is great and sounds like an alien being.

I am not sure if this is the place to post sound issues If not let me know where. I will try to make a complete list of good and bad sounds but the biter one I think really needs to get fixed asap.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.18.3] New Biter sound makes it feel like i am killing a dog thats bad

Post by leadraven »

I wonder why some players like to kill people and aliens, but don't like to kill dogs.

XenoCyber
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by XenoCyber »

Aliens by definition are Alien and do not feel real, i.e alien is abstract not us. WRT to Players well 1. they re-spawn and 2. are other people you can interact with so you know your not really killing them. If it sounds like a dog or other pet it evokes the emotion of killing your dog/pet which is i believe much stronger. I might be in the minority when i think of that but since the sounds are changing why not bring it up and find one that is alien and does not evoke those emotions.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

"Survival of the cutest" ?
Albert, Ernestas wrote:Besides vegetable and plant stuff, biters are the main population on the surface of the Factorio planet. They are the locals, and somehow, from a twisted perspective, they can even be considered the bad guys. Not anymore. The magic of high resolution gives us the chance to move deeper into their conceptualisation and we've added a new ingredient to their formulation: cute...-ish.

[...]

Cute is how we like them, we want you to feel sorry about planning massive biter massacres. In fact we want you to feel pity towards them, especially when you are killing them and destroying their habitat at industrial scale. But also we want you to be disgusted by them, because they are alien to you, and they need to look the part, so it is quite a complicated equation.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Nemo4809
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nemo4809 »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:01 pm
"Survival of the cutest" ?
Albert, Ernestas wrote:Besides vegetable and plant stuff, biters are the main population on the surface of the Factorio planet. They are the locals, and somehow, from a twisted perspective, they can even be considered the bad guys. Not anymore. The magic of high resolution gives us the chance to move deeper into their conceptualisation and we've added a new ingredient to their formulation: cute...-ish.

[...]

Cute is how we like them, we want you to feel sorry about planning massive biter massacres. In fact we want you to feel pity towards them, especially when you are killing them and destroying their habitat at industrial scale. But also we want you to be disgusted by them, because they are alien to you, and they need to look the part, so it is quite a complicated equation.
I don't like "conflicting objectives" like these.

You are going to have to kill biters or they are going to wreck your base. You can't play without killing them. We the player aren't given a choice.

Pollution is another. More pollution means being punished with more biter attacks. But you aren't given a choice to not pollute. No matter what you do, you will end up polluting - more or less - and biters will come to mess with you. I played as conservatively as possible, switching to electric drills+furnaces and nuclear ASAP, and still end up with a base surrounded by biter nests - being constantly raided; artillery during late game was the only thing that got me some measure of peace as it forces many of their nests out of my pollution cloud.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

Nemo4809 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:09 am

You are going to have to kill biters or they are going to wreck your base. You can't play without killing them. We the player aren't given a choice.
You can play without biters.

In Factorio you are the bad guy, and I like that devs don't hide it.
But! Here comes some disgusting double standards : space program without military technologies?! You emphasize that industrialization has its victims, that the survival of some leads to the death of others, but pretend that military technologies are "optional"?! WHUUUUUT?

Nemo4809
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nemo4809 »

leadraven wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:53 am
Nemo4809 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:09 am

You can play without biters.

In Factorio you are the bad guy, and I like that devs don't hide it.
But! Here comes some disgusting double standards : space program without military technologies?! You emphasize that industrialization has its victims, that the survival of some leads to the death of others, but pretend that military technologies are "optional"?! WHUUUUUT?
I have considered disabling biters, they are frustrating to deal with and a significant cause of stress in my playthrough, but that would be considered cheating - the game disables achievements if you play in Peaceful Mode; same penalty as you using script commands. It also takes away a significant aspect of the game - the military branch of research becomes pointless.

I don't get the "bad guy" thing either. All life exist at the expense of other life.

This is so even with plants. A tree growing at a spot means some other plant can't grow there. Trees evolved to grow tall as quickly as possible as slow growing trees get covered by taller trees taking all the light - whenever there is an opening in the canopy from a death of a tree, it's a race to fill it; the losers wither from lack of light and die.

Personally, I see the biters as nothing more than pests similar to cockroaches - which I kill whenever, wherever I find them; something most people do.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

XenoCyber wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:47 pm
New Biter sound makes it feel like i am killing a dog
That's ruff, man.

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

Personally, I see the biters as nothing more than pests similar to cockroaches - which I kill whenever, wherever I find them; something most people do.
Personally I see biters as a potentially delicious lobster dinner that saves me the trouble of having to go looking for it in the ocean.

Return to “General discussion”