[0.17.79] Pipes can be placed by bots and trap player

Things that has been reported already before.
psa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.79] Pipes can be placed by bots and trap player

Post by psa »

• What did you do? Placed pipes from a blueprint while I happened to be standing on the edge between pipes (in this case, an underground pipe and a flamer).
  • What happened? Bot placed pipe and trapped player.
  • What did you expect to happen instead? Bot waited until player was out of the way before placing pipe and/or player was able to move after pipe was placed.

Log: https://www.otoh.org/factorio/factorio-current.log
Save: https://www.otoh.org/factorio/0.17.79-bug-report.zip
image: https://www.otoh.org/factorio/pipe-trap.png
video: http://www.otoh.org/factorio/pipe-trap.mkv

Apologies for the bad audio, I didn't realize I had multiple microphone sources on at once.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.79] Pipes can be placed by bots and trap player

Post by Kyralessa »

Does the pipe trap you permanently, such that the game is unrecoverable?

If not, then they're going to say it's not a bug.

PyroFire
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PyroFire »

Kyralessa wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:12 am
Does the pipe trap you permanently, such that the game is unrecoverable?

If not, then they're going to say it's not a bug.
Never know.
It's fairly reasonable to consider this a bug given how construction bots already try to not trap the player, so this sort of behavior is unintended.

kbk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kbk »

AFAIK conbots never had this feature, instead they just try not to build on player until he moves away.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Yeah, I would expect this to work in the same way they work in any situation where the item they're trying to place is blocked by something else (hover above the spot until it's open). I'm surprised that didn't happen, because it does look like the collision boxes are intersecting.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

kbk wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:05 pm
AFAIK conbots never had this feature, instead they just try not to build on player until he moves away.
I had that happen to me several times: The bots just placed pipes on top of me, trapping me. I don't remember if this happened in modded games or not. Squeak Through is a candidate that messes quite a bit with collision boxes. However, Squeak Through will usually allow you to walk through pipes, which should reduce the likelihood of getting trapped.
But I do remember very distinctly that I was trapped after bots placed pipes on top of me. I don't have saves to prove this. I interpreted it as being a problem with me moving around while the bots place pipes. If the motion happens between collision check and placing the entity, I imagine I could get trapped. Since it is just pipes, they are easy to deconstruct and reconstruct again. Therefore, I never considered this as a serious bug.

Just wanted to confirm the OP's observation.

psa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by psa »

It's possible to deconstruct the pipe and regain movement, but as others have pointed out this is different from the normal behaviour where the bots hover until the space is empty before placing.

I don't have any mods installed, it's a purely vanilla install, so they're not interfering here.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

in above case, robot placed underground pipe with respect of underground pipe collision box. What happens is collision box expands after placement due to connection with flamethrower-turret's input.
May be a minor issue (you can trap yourself by rotating underground pipe), or not (manual building will check collision with expanded collision box).

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Duplicate: 29294
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Return to “Duplicates”