[Request] Recipe Configuration Mod

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
donoya
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Request] Recipe Configuration Mod

Post by donoya »

I was looking for a mod that gave the user easy access to their recipes and could not find anything that had it. So I'm hoping for a mod that allows the user to customize both the base mod's recipes as well as the recipes for other mods (I'm hoping for bob's mods especially). For this to work, the mod would have to be compatible with each mod that adds its own recipes and crafting stations to the game. I would like to have it so that a config file is created with this mod that people could edit in a text editor like notepad. This mod will likely have many issues concerning balance since players could potentially make every item extremely cheap, but my reasons for requesting such a mod is because I think that the game uses too few resources for a lot of things in it. Plus, many mods still require balancing and this could be a potential solution. I'm hoping that this mod gets completed, because with my previous requests, there were a few posts pertaining to the mod and then it stopped getting comments and no visual progress was made.

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [Request] Recipe Configuration Mod

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

donoya wrote: ~ snip ~
I want this because reasons. Minecraft had something similar that I loved to death.

donoya
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by donoya »

I hope history doesn't repeat itself here because I really would like to be able to change the recipes where I think it needs it. Thanks for agreeing with me by the way, because I believe that without people to back this idea up, the mod will fail to become recognized/ completed.

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

donoya wrote:I hope history doesn't repeat itself here because I really would like to be able to change the recipes where I think it needs it. Thanks for agreeing with me by the way, because I believe that without people to back this idea up, the mod will fail to become recognized/ completed.
I'm more than happy to help, especially since this is something I would adore using. Though I'm also seeing this as a way to quickly fix compatibility issues between mods in regards to recipes.

Hhhmmm...... Something tells me that if this mod were made, it should make a list of all items in the game; In-game name + In-code name. Though something tells me that might be a bit harder to do.

Hope someone does this.

engineer13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by engineer13 »

Let me see what I can do on this. I'm rather new to making mods, but I'm good at coding and know some Lua. I have been doing plenty of research on Factorio modding and have done some testing. I have been looking through the requests for a good mod to make and yours caught my eye. At first it will just be a clone of TMI from Minecraft, but I'm hoping that after that I can implement the ability to change the recipes. I can't guarantee anything due to the fact that I don't know the full extent I can go to with modding Factorio, but from what I saw I have a pretty good idea on how I can do this. If you wanna suggest a name for it that would be great because my current name for it is "So Many Items" and it feels a little copy cat like lol :lol: .
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

engineer13 wrote: ~ snip ~
How does, "Industrial Item Index" sound as a mod name?

engineer13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by engineer13 »

That is really clever. Now it shall be known as triple i as an abbreviation. Right now I'm just working on getting a working GUI that can do stuff, but once I have that setup I should be able to create a scrollable list of every item (or perhaps buttons that you can click for each letter to get the items that start with that letter). I'm figuring that I will start off just getting every item in the base mod, but then I will set it up to check the mod list file and from that I can access the files in those mods and get all of the items. I will also be able to get all of the recipes so that you can select a given item and get its recipe. I can also easily add functionality to give yourself any item you select, but the changing of the recipes will be the hardest part I think, but also the most interesting for me.

EDIT*
I've noticed that a scrollable list doesn't seem possible, but I have another idea. I will create an array to contain all of the items and then I will have a table that contains as many items as I can place on the screen top to bottom (not left to right). I will also have buttons next to the table for going up and down that allows you to scroll through the list (which will basically just be the table reloading the array starting from a different position).
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Having a list of every item in the game and being able to give yourself as many of any of them as you want already exists as a mod. "Test Mode" has been around for a while. Thought I might mention it.

engineer13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by engineer13 »

You are correct. I have revised the mod to focus more on the recipe changing portion. There will still be a list of every item (for obvious reasons), but now I won't worry about allowing you to automatically get them. The only functionality will be for changing the recipes. That is the interesting portion. I have two ideas for how to go about it. I could change the files so that they reflect the recipe change. I would save the original files so that they could be reset if you tell it too, but you would have to restart for all of the recipes to be changed. The other option would be that I could potentially setup a large line of code that would take away the extra resources when you create the item and if you don't have the extra resources then it would delete the item from your inventory and give you back your resources. Unfortunately that option wouldn't show the correct recipes when you mouse over the items. I suspect that, from what you said, you would prefer the restart needed method. So I'm heading in that direction.

engineer13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by engineer13 »

Alright I'm taking my leave for tonight because it's time to get some sleep. I have got a list setup that is scrollable and has a search function. Tomorrow I will set it up to change the files to change the recipes and to have a default button to reset all of the files and I will make it so the gui isn't just always up as it is now so that you can open and close it via a button.

engineer13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by engineer13 »

The funny part is that I'm just making this as a pathway into understanding modding for Factorio better. Now that I understand all the stuff about gui's and the such I will better be able to implement the mod I really want to make. Regardless here is my current update:

I have setup most everything. I am currently finishing up the file workings (I have to finish implementing the code for changing the recipe as well as for resetting it to a default). Then I will be able to make it so you open the gui via a button and I think everything will be done then. Unfortunately it can only currently work with changing the base mod (changing other mods is another can of worms I ain't opening yet), but that is still better than nothing.

engineer13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by engineer13 »

Alright so I have come to realize that Factorio doesn't seem to support file io so I'm gonna post the files here in the hopes that in the future someone can take it and complete it once file io is implemented or something allows them to finish it.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 8267411961

It's mostly done. There's only a few extra things that need to be added (changing file names, deleting files, making the gui pop up with a button and maybe some changes just to make it more user friendly).

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

engineer13 wrote:Alright so I have come to realize that Factorio doesn't seem to support file io so I'm gonna post the files here in the hopes that in the future someone can take it and complete it once file io is implemented or something allows them to finish it.
Whats 'file io'?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

File input/output ? Create file, write in it, read from it, ...
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Perhaps it's meant, that you can read/write only to your mods-directory, due to security reasons?
Despite from that limitation, file-io is of course possible. See for example the screenshot-function.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

ssilk wrote:Perhaps it's meant, that you can read/write only to your mods-directory, due to security reasons?
Despite from that limitation, file-io is of course possible. See for example the screenshot-function.
Koub wrote:File input/output ? Create file, write in it, read from it, ...
Oohhh, I know what that is. I just wasn't familiar with that particular abbreviation, so it didn't come to mind. Thanks though.

Dark_Technician
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dark_Technician »

I would be pretty interested in this mod too.. especially having the ability to modify anything in the game that takes x amount of time or greater as a condition.. and then making it either be able to be, or unable to be manually crafted. (Like my version of it would be anything with built time of 6 seconds or greater would have to be made in an assembling machine of a certain tier.)

donoya
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by donoya »

Seeing as how this was posted 3 years prior and still nothing has come out, I'm guessing this has been either forgotten or unseen. It's too helpful to be left at the bottom of the barrel. Somebody please step up to the challenge! Not only would it make posting public modpacks so much more viable, it would also allow for people who can't understand lua (like me) to create their own content.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

donoya
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by donoya »

How does this allow me to make custom recipes without any lua programming?

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”