Oil is stupid.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Johnny Rico
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Oil is stupid.

Post by Johnny Rico »

In the period between refining I and refining II the refinery still wants a balance of all three materials in order to produce. The problem is that two of these do not exist because you haven't discovered them. This means you can produce a handful of sulfur or plastic before production stops, and it isn't enough to build 75 blue potions so you can discover refining II. Is there something I'm missing, or did the new release just ruin the game and make it stupid?

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Oil is stupid.

Post by mmmPI »

Johnny Rico wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:15 am
Is there something I'm missing
Yes, the two FFF that announced it https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-304 and https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-305 and the thousands of post discussing it 73684

For the rest, it seems that the first part is a pretty objective definition that one might hardly contredict until the "ruining the game and make it stupid" which is a subjective opinion.

Edit: maybe you won't find information easily in the thousand posts
Johnny Rico wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:15 am
This means you can produce a handful of sulfur or plastic before production stops, and it isn't enough to build 75 blue potions so you can discover refining II
no this means you can produce infinite plastic and/or sulfur without worrying about production stopping ever.

You then need to reseach refining II to gain access to the other fluid.

Once you have progressed a bit more into the game, you now need to do the balance of the outputs for the refinery, and it's fine because you have access to cracking at the same time.

Johnny Rico
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Johnny Rico »

mmmPI wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:30 am

no this means you can produce infinite plastic and/or sulfur without worrying about production stopping ever.

You then need to reseach refining II to gain access to the other fluid.

Once you have progressed a bit more into the game, you now need to do the balance of the outputs for the refinery, and it's fine because you have access to cracking at the same time.
It doesn't work for me. I produce about 50 sulfur then production stops.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Could you post your save ? Maybe there something you overlooked.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Johnny Rico
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Johnny Rico »

Koub wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:09 am
Could you post your save ? Maybe there something you overlooked.
I think it just comes down to really slow petrol production. Not enough crude is getting into the refineries. I have over 20 pumps and 8 refineries, but only one refinery is going at a somewhat decent rate. The others are clicking away far too slowly.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

20 pumpjacks is unlikely to only produce enough for 1 or 2 refineries.
What is the yield of the oil field? (IIRC about 200% is able to produce enough for one refinery, so you would need 1600% for 8)
Are all pump jacks connected?
Do they produce without backing up?
For a long stretch of pipes, you might want to use some pumps here and there. Also underground pipes with maxed distance are better for throughput than long straight overground pipes ... Fluid wagons are even better, but it should not be necessary for this, unless you have a very far distance

Johnny Rico
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Johnny Rico »

jodokus31 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:06 pm
20 pumpjacks is unlikely to only produce enough for 1 or 2 refineries.
What is the yield of the oil field? (IIRC about 200% is able to produce enough for one refinery, so you would need 1600% for 8)
Are all pump jacks connected?
Do they produce without backing up?
For a long stretch of pipes, you might want to use some pumps here and there. Also underground pipes with maxed distance are better for throughput than long straight overground pipes ... Fluid wagons are even better, but it should not be necessary for this, unless you have a very far distance
I just edited the map to make the oil resource more productive and that fixed everything. The oil I was using just had a really low yield.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

I see this post is a month old, but I often get fluid handling before oil production, and just throw any extra oil products into tanks. I don't know if .17 made it much different (only just did the update), but I absolutely would do it, because otherwise oil products are super annoying to deal with. Tank holds 25,000 liquid, and each cycle only produces 30 to 40 of the products, so you can easily store up unused stuff for later. You can also throw away the oil into fuel blocks (super effective at wasting heavy oil or petroleum gas), or just pick up a tank and put it back down to "delete" the fluid.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Return to “Gameplay Help”