More proper steam engines

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Cybervantyz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

More proper steam engines

Post by Cybervantyz »

Relatively simple additions here.
If boilers will produce vapor, it will be possible to make vapors of different temperature and pressure, and consequently different steam engines for different vapor parameters. In reality, vapor with higher temperature and pressure generally allows more efficient thermal process.
If in addition to steam engines we will have steam turbines, that input higher parameters vapor and output lower parameters vapor, than it will be possible to construct combined power installations with higher efficiency.
It will be also interesting to implement coal gasification before it will be burned in boilers. That will also lead to more effective process.
If steam engine will have output for condensed liquid, than it will be possible to make non-water steam power production - we will need to prepare that liquid, put it to engine, and put condensed liquid back in to boilers. Some liquid will be wasted in the process, as it is in reality. And using of that liquids will lead to more efficient stream power production as well.

Power production in Factorio, as for now, is really boring. That is the reason to think about some additions to it so it will be more interesting.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: More proper steam engines

Post by Nova »

I don't like this idea and I don't think this should have priority. We need more different kinds of energy production before changing the already existing things. Oil boilers would be nice.

We will see if this gets added in 0.12. Personally I would prefer the update for the smart logistic network. ^^
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Cybervantyz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cybervantyz »

Nova wrote:I don't like this idea and I don't think this should have priority. We need more different kinds of energy production before changing the already existing things. Oil boilers would be nice.

We will see if this gets added in 0.12. Personally I would prefer the update for the smart logistic network. ^^
Nova, are you member of development team? You say as if you are.
Provide some arguments other than "I don't like", or just shut the heck up otherwise

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

No, I have nothing to do with the dev team. What gives you that idea?

I think this would add to much details. Like all the ideas about nuclear energy. Most of them talk about uranium ore, uranium hexaflorid, enriched unranium, depleted uranium, yellow cake... All this is in my opinion too much details. We don't have to etch the processing units, but just add sulfric acid to the recipe. That's a simplified process and in my opinion fully sufficient.

The whole development is about balancing the game. It should not be too easy, but also not overly complex. Adding more ways to use the steam generators could be a good idea, but I prefer more other energy production ways before the devs should start looking at this. It's also about equality: If steam gets new details, solar power should also be updated.

Let's take a look what other people say to this. :)
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

I believe (in my crummy opinion) that the devs are using the base mod as, well... a base, it contains a good number of options, and a fair number of difficult optimizations needed unless you want to use the easy way out (but it contains the process to that instead)

and if either more complexity, more advanced features, or more realism is wanted, but not needed then the user can either (if one exists) grab the mod that does what he/she wants, or failing that, make it...

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Cybervantyz wrote:Nova, are you member of development team?
When it comes to the ideas and suggestions board, we are all technically part of the dev team. Because the devs don't have time to read every suggestion, it's down to us, the members, to filter through all of the ideas and highlight only the best ones that everyone would enjoy.

Cybervantyz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cybervantyz »

LordFedora wrote:I believe (in my crummy opinion) that the devs are using the base mod as, well... a base, it contains a good number of options, and a fair number of difficult optimizations needed unless you want to use the easy way out (but it contains the process to that instead)

and if either more complexity, more advanced features, or more realism is wanted, but not needed then the user can either (if one exists) grab the mod that does what he/she wants, or failing that, make it...
The thing is that current game entities API's do not allow us to make everything we want
Otherwise large mods like DyTech or F-Mod would include not just variations of basic entities, but completely different machines and logistics. Things like DyTech item collector are just dirty scripting hacks, that are far from being working perfectly. What we need is more complex entities, so we (modders) can tune them in more different ways.
That is the point of posting all topics like this.
It is not "implement this in base game", but "give me possibility to implement this with mod"

Cybervantyz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cybervantyz »

FishSandwich wrote:
When it comes to the ideas and suggestions board, we are all technically part of the dev team. Because the devs don't have time to read every suggestion, it's down to us, the members, to filter through all of the ideas and highlight only the best ones that everyone would enjoy.
Then we need some sort of polls for ideas. There is no other way to highlight "community-approved" ideas to the developers

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

FishSandwich wrote:
For me it is clear, but for new users it will be not.

I would recommend to clearly distinct
- your own opinion,
- the forum members (including devs)
- and dev team.

It is not useful to use "we" or "us", because it's to easy, that someone thinks this is an "official" opinion and gives up.
Cybervantyz wrote: Then we need some sort of polls for ideas. There is no other way to highlight "community-approved" ideas to the developers
I tried that for a week or so. This is in my opinion a half day job.

... Their job. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

It is of course just my opinion of how things work here. :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Sorry, I mentioned it cause in the begin of my moderation I made this mistake and after weeks someone, which misunderstand that mailed me, that he gave up, cause the devs don't like his ideas. Hell, this gave me bad feelings, cause this was the last thing I wanted!

So I try in most cases to make it clear, which what lips I'm speaking.

Back to OP:

See this mod, I made also suggestions: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=7558

Basically I think there should be some tech like "hot water cycle" or so, which introduces some of the aggregate of water and tech, which can produce/change it.

I made also some links there, which point to older discussions about that.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”