Requestor Threshold question

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

jdtitans
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Requestor Threshold question

Post by jdtitans »

First, I love using LTN. Since I've started installing LTN trains into my networks, I've greatly increased the efficiency of my rail networks and allowed everything to run better. I am currently using it on a new outpost-oriented base with a goal of 5KSPM. I'm about to turn on at 1.8K and work to increase.

My question is to help my understanding of how the Request Threshold works. In the graph in the Manual post, I have to infer the threshold is supposed to be how much space is available in the receiving buffer that will trigger a delivery. In practice, I find my buffers dropping very low before I get any deliveries, but I'm not sure at what point the trigger actually happens. Is the Request Threshold actually a buffer level in the receiver station?

Also, I have used default settings in the stations up until now, but I have found the need to adjust them based on deliveries of items with small stack sizes (LDS, Rocket Fuel, Rocket Parts, etc...). What do you find as an efficient number to use in the Request Threshold fields and the Request amount fields to keep the flow going well?

Thanks for a great mod.

JD

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Requestor Threshold question

Post by Optera »

Thresholds are control signals set per stop. If no control signal is found global setting is used.
Requesters trigger when item count falls below request threshold.
Providers are every stop with item count above provide threshold.
Deliveries are made when there's a valid provider for a request.

Stops can be provider and requester at the same time for different items.
Positive Request Thresholds are handled as if they where negative.

jdtitans
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jdtitans »

Optera wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:28 pm
Requesters trigger when item count falls below request threshold.
This is contrary to what is written in the manual and the graph in the manual. Please update if you agree it needs to be refreshed. (The forum posts don't update themselves :D )

Thanks for your quick response to my question.

JD

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

jdtitans wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:59 pm
This is contrary to what is written in the manual and the graph in the manual. Please update if you agree it needs to be refreshed. (The forum posts don't update themselves :D )
The only thing the graph does is simplify requests to positive values while in reality those would all be negative. Aside from this it's as seen on a real stops as item count = current inventory - requested amount. Requested amount is -128k and request threshold -15k.

The three bars on request side show inventory count and how LTN reacts to that:
120k -128k = -8k > -15k: so no request is triggered
113k - 128k = -15k <= -15k: a 15k request is made
80k - 128k = -48k <= -15k: a 48k request is made

jdtitans
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jdtitans »

I knew I wasn't understanding what was happening, that's why I asked. My judgement was clouded because my other 80 or so LTN stops were working fine using the defaults. I asked because my LDS stops weren't working at all.

Here's where I got confused. The graph labels the far left axis as "Station - Buffer Size". To me, that was the space available in the chests (or whatever you're using for a buffer). I never would have guessed you were also using it as a material request. All of my LTN requests were in the amount of 1 train worth of material. In my case, I have been using LCCCC, so for Iron Plates, I'd request -16K. Your explanation made me realize that the chart's "buffer" was the requested amount and that made everything make sense. My LDS deliveries for my Yellow Science are working correctly now.

What I was trying to tune for was an assurance I would never get deliveries I couldn't completely unload (without the trouble of logic). Therefore, I knew the maximum I could have on hand would be a little more than 11 chests worth since I have 12 chests at every cargo car. 1 chest will hold a cargo car's material. So, now I'm requesting 11XChestVolume + 1 delivery (4xTrainCars), and setting my request threshold to the 4x train car's cargo amount.

Thanks for helping,

JD

Return to “Logistic Train Network”